Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-31 12:13:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: The Dirty Streets Of Heaven (re)read week 10, chps 18 & 19 *SPOILERS*

*bows back to Ylvs*

Not so attentive... I failed to notice Neemo's absence last "week". I've sent him an e-mail, in case he doesn't check the board.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2013-01-31 15:01:09

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*also bows to the attentive Firsfron*

I can't think of anything to add. So as far as I'm concerned, we can move on to the next two chapters.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#28 2013-01-31 15:13:00

ylvs
Mantis

Should read them ... like now ... but Simon is waiting as well ... oh choices ...

Last edited by ylvs (2013-01-31 15:13:29)

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#29 2013-01-31 15:37:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Exactly my problem, too!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#30 2013-01-31 17:39:13

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Howdy all...sorry I'm a slacker, thanks to messages from firsfron and ylvs I was reminded of the reread, I will get caught up as quick as I can

#31 2013-01-31 18:49:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Glad you're back, Neemo!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#32 2013-01-31 23:57:04

ylvs
Mantis

Yay to Finding Neemo!

Sorry, could not stop myself.

*giggles at own stupid joke*

*should probably go back to bed to get some more sleep*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#33 2013-02-01 00:11:22

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Bwahah! That's actually very good.

#34 2013-02-05 19:54:39

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

nobody knows of Aleister Crowley? Ozzy Osbourne has a song about him lol

there is a steve urkel reference...character from early 90's US sitcom

we learn of the Golden Feather...looked it up...in a dream a golden feather supposedly means "They could mean angel's and heavenly power or understanding and getting closer to God."

the ghallu doesnt give up does it? these 2 are pretty exciting chapters

#35 2013-02-13 13:52:48

Nefermiw
Pilgrim

Was I the only one feeling a bit stupid when we learn that the mystery object is a feather and I realised that every chapter begins with a picture of a feather and I hadn't even bothered to wonder why?

#36 2013-02-13 13:54:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Nefermiw wrote:

Was I the only one feeling a bit stupid when we learn that the mystery object is a feather and I realised that every chapter begins with a picture of a feather and I hadn't even bothered to wonder why?

Unfortunately, I got spoiled, and knew about the feather before I read the book. But otherwise, I probably would have had the same experience as you, Nefermiw.

#37 2013-02-13 14:02:49

ylvs
Mantis

Did you get spoiled by that meanmean review on amazon Firs? Probably.

Nefermiw, I did not even notice the feather on top of each chapter when the mystery object was revealed. Hit me like a club when I started rereading ... and was feeling mighty stupid

*likes feeling mighty mighty much more*

Scrollbearer

#38 2013-02-13 18:58:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Did you get spoiled by that meanmean review on amazon Firs? Probably.

No, it was actually the discussion of the mean-mean review on Amazon.

#39 2013-09-05 04:48:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Actually, I know exactly what you mean, Cyan. They really do have to be organic. :) I usually give my original post a couple of days' thought before I feel "ready" to write. Sometimes, I can't think of too much that hasn't already been covered. Sometimes I can.

ylvs wrote:

And then it takes me ages to write it when I actually sit down. I ponder every sentence for correctness and if I could say that more elegantly and find myself rewriting the stuff again and again ... if I only could write stuff down and be done with it like elsewhere on the forum!

So that's why my posts looks so silly in comparisson. You actually think about this stuff and read your own posts instead of just punching the keys and pulling everything out of your nose... (I really just type it out after a short look at my (sparse) notes).

I am also quite scared by your broad knowledge about literature, life and everything. Ylvs especially is quite impressive.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#40 2013-09-05 05:21:10

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

And the real thoughts:

Magpie mentioned that Bobby got a new gun from Orban, but this is not the case: He is definitly using his old revolver here.

I grabbed gun-butt that Sam was pressing into my hand and emptied my weapon into the ghallu...

There is no way Bobby can fire through the armored windshield (unless it is unfinished, but the side windows are done, so that's unlikely). So he would have to fire through his window, but he probably wouldn't have time to crank that down. But even so he would have to fire with his left hand.

Sam does fire out of the car window later on, but I wonder if armored windows can be let down? The glass is far thicker than usual, so this would require serious modifications to the doors and it might not be robust enough?

I reloaded, then returned fire again, cursing all the time that I had to use silver bullets at ten dollars a round...

This is another gun related mistake in the book, as the bullets are actually $15, $10 is just for the silver:

"How much you want?" Orban asked me, "Going to cost ten dollars per piece just for the silver - it's high now. Give you a hundred at fifteen a round complete-that's a good price for custom work."

#41 2013-09-06 02:49:53

ylvs
Mantis

Peter wrote:

I am also quite scared by your broad knowledge about literature, life and everything. Ylvs especially is quite impressive.

*blushes*

Thank you Peter!

I might put another thread up today - if life (like Freya taking the wrong bus and ending up in in another town yesterday) does not interfere ...

Scrollbearer

#42 2013-09-06 13:02:32

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Let us never talk of the gun problems in DIRTY STREETS again, because the embarrassment is so acute I may not survive.

Yeah, I @#$%ed up.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#43 2013-09-06 15:36:28

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

That's what the ration of 2 editors, 10ish proofreaders to a million readers does to you.
Works no differently in programming, game balancing or anything else that is susceptible to a million monkeys banging away on it.

Board footer