Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-08-07 13:32:05

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell (book 2)

I take no position on good or bad, but the "Heaven Can Wait" subtitle wasn't mine.  I might have put something like "Heaven can wait.  Hell won't."  Or even "Hell isn't so patient."

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#27 2013-08-07 13:40:11

strangeshe
Hierarch

Tad wrote:

I take no position on good or bad, but the "Heaven Can Wait" subtitle wasn't mine.  I might have put something like "Heaven can wait.  Hell won't."  Or even "Hell isn't so patient."

I'm /very/ glad they dropped it. (If you couldn't guess from my earlier comments *redface* I really shouldn't post in the heat of the moment.)

#28 2013-08-08 04:27:42

ylvs
Mantis

After reading the book I agree Strangeshe, contentwise that subtitle does not make sense.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#29 2014-01-07 04:20:41

JulezG101
Pilgrim

Hey everyone, so this might not be completely similar to some of the other posts on this topic, but I feel as if it falls into the same DNA.

I really loved "Happy Hour In Hell", and not just the great *cough* scenes Tad Williams describes with Caz. I'm a musician, and the book kind of prompted something in me. So I wrote this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdWg7D3-ZMs

It's based off the idea of Bobby Dollar and his predicament, but with a few "songwriter" twists (artistic license after all).
Anyway some of the lyrics go:

I don't mind being immortal, as long as I can love forever. Truths are a ticket to hell and I don't plan on dying too soon.

I don't mind being an angel, with a coat six feet in snow. I'll use my powers to rewind and speak to my soul a while ago.

I don't mind sneaking into hell, as long as everyone is there. I just hope the rooms are big because I need some space to wind down.

I'm going to post a similar comment on some of the other message boards, it would be great if you guys/girls could take a listen. Means a lot for this South African singer/songwriter!

P.S, "Sleeping Late On Judgment Day" better come soon, the last book left me wanting more.

#30 2014-01-07 11:00:32

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven ***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***

It wasn't Sam giving Bobby the feather, it was Grasswax.

Originally.  But it did pass back and forth with Sam -- Sam used the God Glove to seal it in the extradimensional pocket, right?

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#31 2014-04-08 13:01:28

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

I'm slow...just ordered this

#32 2014-06-24 13:28:05

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Tad´s German publishers has produced a nice big banner for the upcoming German ed. (August 23rd)

http://tadwilliams.de/wp-content/upload … 00x800.jpg

The art is by Kerem Beyit.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#33 2014-06-24 13:32:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

It's really good artwork (but those who don't speak German may get the wrong impression... well, the right impression, actually... but still).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#34 2014-06-24 13:37:36

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Hmm...what kind of impression would that be?

I think the cover is pretty straigh forward.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#35 2014-07-01 00:09:26

Olaf
Mantis
Website

US paperback by DAW is published today!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#36 2014-09-03 09:02:47

Olaf
Mantis
Website

German hc ed. of Happy Hour makes the SPIEGEL bestseller list next week at #41!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#37 2014-09-03 10:00:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

How did I completely miss that the German HHiH is out? I need to call my father and tell him.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#38 2014-09-03 10:36:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Not sure Magpie, we were at the launch event, kind of, right? :D
(Though apparently it wasn't on public sale until a little later)

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#39 2014-09-03 10:50:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Quite a while later, really, which is why I forgot to check again. But my father knows now (and was very happy to hear it) and will go buy it tomorrow.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#40 2014-09-04 02:34:57

ylvs
Mantis

Parents bought theirs yesterday.
Mum called and complained that I wasn't in the acknowledgements. "They cut you out in the translation. It's outragous!" "Aehm, no mum, it's the wrong book."

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#41 2014-09-04 05:34:23

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

They'll have to wait another year for that one to be translated :D . Poor parents.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

Board footer