Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-07 15:04:01

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Happy Hour in Hell (book 2)

The new "Forthcoming Books" list at Locus Online lists HAPPY HOUR IN HELL for a release in September`13 both in the UK and the US.

Williams, Tad • Happy Hour in Hell • (DAW, hc)
    Williams, Tad • Happy Hour in Hell • (Hodder & Stoughton, hc)

http://www.locusmag.com/Resources/ForthcomingBooks.html

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2013-01-02 11:18:22

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: Happy Hour in Hell (book 2)

The UK ed. is now avaiable for pre-order on Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk. Pub date is September 26th. The books will be avaiable in hc and export trade paperback ed. E-Book versions are not yet listed, but these are only put up three months or so ahead of publication. Same for audio editions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Hour-Hell … amp;sr=1-1

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2013-03-18 13:22:42

Olaf
Mantis
Website

According to Barnes & Noble the US pub date for book 2 is September 3rd, while the UK ed. will be out three weeks later on September 26th (according to Amazon).

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#4 2013-03-28 00:26:44

Olaf
Mantis
Website

US cover art revealed:

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/u … liams.jpeg

A bit blurry, so I suspect it will look much better in good quality. So, I will reserve judgement until than:-)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#5 2013-04-02 14:54:20

Olaf
Mantis
Website

New blurb from Daw`s website

http://www.us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/ … d_Williams

I’ve been told to go to Hell more times than I can count. But this time I’m actually going.

My name’s Bobby Dollar, sometimes known as Doloriel, and of course, Hell isn’t a great place for someone like me—I’m an angel. They don’t like my kind down there, not even the slightly fallen variety. But they have my girlfriend, who happens to be a beautiful demon named Casi¬mira, Countess of Cold Hands. Why does an angel have a demon girlfriend? Well, certainly not because it helps my career.

She’s being held hostage by one of the nasti¬est, most powerful demons in all of the nether¬world—Eligor, Grand Duke of Hell. He already hates me, and he’d like nothing better than to get his hands on me and rip my immortal soul right out of my borrowed but oh-so-mortal body.

But wait, it gets better! Not only do I have to sneak into Hell, make my way across thousands of miles of terror and suffering to reach Pan- demonium, capital of the fiery depths, but then I have to steal Caz right out from under Eligor’s burning eyes and smuggle her out again, past demon soldiers, hellhounds, and all the murder¬ous creatures imprisoned there for eternity. And even if I somehow manage to escape Hell, I’m also being stalked by an undead psychopath named Smyler who’s been following me for weeks. Oh, and did I mention that he can’t be killed?

So if I somehow survive Hell, elude the Grand Duke and all his hideous minions and make it back to the real world, I’ll still be the most hunted soul in Creation. But at least I’ll have Caz. Gotta have something to look forward to, right?

So just pour me that damn drink, will you? I’ve got somewhere to go.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#6 2013-04-04 16:52:32

strangeshe
Hierarch

Just found the blurb on amazon & was going to post it but you beat me to it, Olaf ;)

I can't wait for this one!

BTW, can I ask where you found the cover art? Just curious...

(Actually, I just found it on http://www.risingshadow.net/library?act … _id=36978, too -- haven't poked around enough lately. Haven't had time to, to be honest. But catching up -- which seems to be a perpetual state of existence for me. *sigh*)

#7 2013-04-04 17:00:13

ylvs
Mantis

Deb said it is her new favourite Tadbook (which used to be Mountain of Black Glass) and she wonders how he'll take it on from there ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#8 2013-04-05 00:24:37

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Actually, the cover art that is floating around at the moment has all been cropped from the new Daw catalog that has been posted online in the last couple of days:

http://booksellers.penguin.com/static/p … fall13.pdf

Happy Hour in Hell is on page 111

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#9 2013-04-05 11:56:16

strangeshe
Hierarch

Olaf wrote:

Actually, the cover art that is floating around at the moment has all been cropped from the new Daw catalog that has been posted online in the last couple of days:

http://booksellers.penguin.com/static/p … fall13.pdf

Happy Hour in Hell is on page 111

Thanks, Olaf -- I was just being curious :)

And I think Deb may have been puzzled as to source (but I'm just guessing based on an offhand comment over on FB, along the lines of "strange how that happens"), so good to know.

Personally, I'm quite glad it's not final art -- it's still quite rough, imo. But it's promising!

#10 2013-04-09 09:45:54

Olaf
Mantis
Website

HAPPY HOUR IN HELL is now also listed on the Hodder website:

http://www.hodder.co.uk/Books/detail.pa … 1444738605

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#11 2013-04-09 09:58:23

ylvs
Mantis

***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven ***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***

And here's the blurb it has:

Bobby Dollar has a problem or four of epic proportions. Problem one: his best friend Sam has given him an angel's feather that also happens to be evidence of an unholy pact between Bobby's employers and those who dwell in the infernal depths. Problem two: Eligor, Grand Duke of Hell, wants to get his claws on the feather at all costs, but particularly at all cost to Bobby . Problem three: Bobby has fallen in love with Casimira, Countess of Cold Hands, who just happens to be Eligor's girlfriend. Problem four: Eligor, aware of Problem three, has whisked Casimira off to the Bottomless Pit itself, telling Bobby he will never see her again unless he hands over the feather.

But Bobby, long-time veteran of the endless war between above and below, is not the type of guy who finds Hell intimidating. All he has to do is toss on a demon's body, sneak through the infernal gates, solve the mystery of the angel's feather, and rescue the girl. Saving the day should just be a matter of an eon or two of anguish, mutilation and horror.

If only it were that easy.

Who sees the mistake? I do.
It wasn't Sam giving Bobby the feather, it was Grasswax.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#12 2013-04-25 06:37:31

Elf_NFB
Pilgrim

Sweet! Already got mine on pre-order. Will it help if I constant refresh my Amazon account page? :)

#13 2013-04-27 12:02:14

Olaf
Mantis
Website

UK cover art revealed:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-k9QScJFCjW4/U … n+Hell.jpg

I must say. It is a knockout cover! Just like last year, I think I like the UK artwork better than the US (altough we have yet to see the final US one).

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#14 2013-04-27 12:58:52

ylvs
Mantis

And the added subtitle is just brilliant!

Scrollbearer

#15 2013-04-28 10:00:29

strangeshe
Hierarch

No, it's not.  I hate hate /HATE/ that subtitle. It's cliched and over-used, and smacks way too much of Warren Beatty and the 70s. Still too much a part of US pop culture. Cheesy and cheap.

So NOT Bobby Dollar.

(The 1943 film was somewhat better. But I still don't think it works for BobbyD. The phrase is so much a part of the culture you have all kinds of businesses using that name, songs using that title, etc. etc. Just google and you'll see.)

I can't believe that was Tad's choice -- and told him so. I still haven't heard back from him on whether it was his or marketing's -- but at least he knows what *I* think (not that that has /any/ weight whatsoever, heh).

/rant

#16 2013-04-28 10:01:38

strangeshe
Hierarch

As for the art, yes, I like it better than the US version too -- not sure if the UK is final yet either.

I profoundly wish they'd get the artist that did the Spanish edition cover to do both US and UK. I /adore/ that cover.

#17 2013-04-28 10:03:41

strangeshe
Hierarch

strangeshe wrote:

Cheesy and cheap.

So NOT Bobby Dollar.

Okay, so maybe Tad has that impression of Bobby, but I sure don't. Maybe a little cheese in Bobby's personality, but that's not all he is, and the /book/ sure as sh*t isn't.

#18 2013-04-28 11:35:22

ylvs
Mantis

I like it because it takes this often used phrase and puts it on its feet again - here it is meant literally, that's what makes it brilliant - the doublebind.

Scrollbearer

#19 2013-04-28 11:42:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I'm with SS on this: that UK subtitle is a bad cliche. Dare I say *grin* "dated"?

Actually, I don't like the UK cover at all. Looks tacky, IMO. What's that alligator-looking thing supposed to be?

And, also like SS, I love the Spanish cover.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#20 2013-04-28 11:48:03

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven ***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***Spoilers for Dirty Streets of Heaven***

Who sees the mistake? I do.
It wasn't Sam giving Bobby the feather, it was Grasswax.

How observant of you, Ylvs!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#21 2013-04-28 14:48:45

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I like the artwork itself, and I like it better than what we have seen of the US cover, but the subtitle makes the cover a little too "busy". And it is rather unnecessary. The actual title is catchy and memorable enough. It might make a good heading for the back cover blurb, but on the front it will only confuse people if they think it is part of the proper title. Better have some blurbs from reviews on the front. There have been some many great reviews of TDSOH to chose from.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#22 2013-04-29 09:17:03

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I'm with Firs. I detest the UK cover. As for 'Heave Can Wait', had a very vivid image of Warren Beatty in sweats with angel wings pop into my head. Which wouldn't be that bad except the UK cover doesn't tell you that's an angel walking into hell. The US cover could get away with it because it does.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#23 2013-06-28 15:08:36

Maladroit
Pilgrim

So, when should I start my petition for a southeastern US tour stop? Now? Later? Now?In two weeks? Now?

What do you mean it's too late already?

Seriously, when to I get to meet the Tad/Deb Dynamic Duo and sit around and listen to everyone else talk with them while I try to wipe the grin off my face?

Maladroit, are you suggesting that imaginary chickens have no feelings?

You better be careful with that, or we might get boycotted -- well, chickencotted, I guess.  And that would make for a very paltry poultry party.  Which would be a pity.
-Tad

#24 2013-06-28 16:57:39

ylvs
Mantis

That's exactly how I felt in Santa Cruz ... execpt that Tad & Deb both have that habit of drawing you back into the conversation, being genuinly interested in what everybody - thinks - feels ... and all that while constantly taking care that everybody is happy.

You really should not miss the next possibility even if it means traveling quite a bit.

*crosses fingers for southeastern US tour*

Scrollbearer

#25 2013-06-29 03:00:30

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Happy Hour in Hell is on NeGalley. I don`t know since when, but that means first reviews might show up any minute now. The first blogger (Aidan Moher of Dribble of Ink) has also received the first review copy, so it begins again:-)

https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/show/id/32770

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

Board footer