Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-15 02:26:02

ylvs
Mantis

Re: The Dirty Streets Of Heaven (re)read week 4, chapters 6 & 7 *SPOILERS*

Pretzalz, I appreciate your effort but it did not help. I still do not recognize the shows you describe. I dimly remember having heard that Michael J. Fox was in a TV-Show before Back to the Future but that is all I know.

Here are some American Shows I watched:
70ies: Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons and one on a newspaper I think the LA times, the main character was called Hugh Grant, waht was also the name of the show in Germany and probably the reason I can't find it
80ies: Unknown Stuntman, Magnum, ALF, Married ... with Children
90ies: Roseanne, Ally Mc Beal, Dawson's Creek

Well and then I had children and pretty much stopped watching TV ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#27 2012-10-15 05:11:47

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

i work with some younger people .... like early to mid 20's and the pop culture thing really has an age gap, sometimes it makes me cry how little they know of things that were popular when i was a kid (or younger)

like they didnt know what happy days was, they haven't seen star wars, they dont know what an atari 2600 is

its like OMFG shoot me now lol, so yeah if you ever wanna feel old hang out with some people 10-15 years younger than you on a daily basis

i agree with ylvs...kids suck the TV outta ya...all i watch now is cartoons (unless i can stay up late enough after bedtime to catch something decent)

i agree with firs tho...friends is already seeing less and less air time (that i have noticed anyway)

Aan`allein, i've noticed from the get go that bobby is gonna be more of an anti-hero than anything, i've been wondering how close to going south he was at his moment of judgement....he seems to have a soft spot (or at least an understanding) for how the opposition works

#28 2012-10-15 10:53:52

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Having spent all my life without a TV (well, my mother has had one for a couple of years, but I  never watched anything even while I was still living with her), I've never seen any of these shows. Some of the names are vaguely familiar, but honestly, I can't say if that's because I've heard/read them somewhere else or because I read Pretzalz's post yesterday...

For me, Bobby's not-a-nice-guy-ness was sealed with parking in the handicapped space a couple of chapters back. I'm pretty sure I said so in the last thread, but I really hate it when people do that. (Sadly, the sort of people who do it are also not the sort of people you call out on it when you're a short skinny girl like me...)

I'm still not done with this week's chapters, so I can't really think of more to say. I suppose I could read them now, but that would require getting up and getting the book... I'm too tired for that right now.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#29 2012-10-15 12:09:37

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Pretzalz, I appreciate your effort but it did not help. I still do not recognize the shows you describe. I dimly remember having heard that Michael J. Fox was in a TV-Show before Back to the Future but that is all I know.

Here are some American Shows I watched:
70ies: Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons and one on a newspaper I think the LA times, the main character was called Hugh Grant, waht was also the name of the show in Germany and probably the reason I can't find it
80ies: Unknown Stuntman, Magnum, ALF, Married ... with Children
90ies: Roseanne, Ally Mc Beal, Dawson's Creek

Well and then I had children and pretty much stopped watching TV ...

The Mary Tyler Moore Show was about a TV news show in Minneapolis, but I think her boss was Lou Grant so that may be what you are thinking of though it would be weird to call him the main character.  It's whole run is on free hulu though that may not help outside the US.

I was born in 1979, the only shows I watched when they aired were Cheers/Seinfeld[and I was too young for the first few seasons of Cheers though I have since seen them].  Please don't think I was trying to come up with shows I personally had watched.

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#30 2012-10-15 13:07:30

ylvs
Mantis

No that is certainly the wrong show. the one I mean was set in LA and about a newspaper. I'm pretty sure it was called the LA Tribiune and the character called Hugh Garnat was the chief editor and he was the main character for sure the publisher was a woman who looked a bit like Maggie Thatcher and that is all that I remember. It was a late 70ies show so maybe it was before your time Pretzalz.

And we're straying a bit off topic here ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#31 2012-10-15 20:54:19

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

lol I was close. Lou Grant[played by Ed Asner] got a spin off from The Mary Tyler Moore Show that is as you describe.

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#32 2012-10-15 23:07:34

cyan
Mantis

Well, it seems that, as the elder american-type person actively participating, I'll endeavor to clarify the 'pop culture' references used.  But I'm no good with music references.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#33 2012-10-15 23:20:10

ylvs
Mantis

Lou ... Hugh ... it's all the same *grins*
Thank you Pretzalz!

Neemo might take music and I go for all the European art / architecture / stuff ... having studied history will be put to use finally.

Scrollbearer

#34 2012-10-16 04:45:47

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

i'll share in the architecture ... since that's what i do for a living :-D ... on second thought you can have it...i don't wanna think about it when i'm not working anyway lol, besides i'm not good at architectural history, i have more of an arch-tech oriented role

#35 2012-10-16 05:14:25

ylvs
Mantis

On a whole I think everybody should point out whatever (s)he
notices ...

Scrollbearer

#36 2012-10-22 14:15:51

Tad
Hierarch
Website

You won't learn much about it in this book, but Bobby's relationship with his body and his previous life (if any) are a subject that will grow and become more complicated as his story goes on.

Like I think he said somewhere, it's "the thunderbolt" as far as what attracts him to Caz.  It starts out as physical, but that's just shorthand for "I can't stop looking at her", which goes a lot deeper...yes, even in men.  And remember, although he IS an angel, he's in a physical body which has glands and chemicals and all that good human stuff.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#37 2012-10-22 19:04:42

cyan
Mantis

Tad wrote:

.... Bobby's relationship with his body and his previous life (if any)

Oh.....   You're messing with us, aren't you, Tad?

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#38 2013-09-03 14:58:14

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I don't know if I agree with Aan about Monica being the good girl.
It's awfully convenient that she decides to go for Bobby just as he gets in trouble. Can't blame him for being careful there. And not wanting to get back into a relationship that wasn't good for either of them isn't making him a bad guy either (not saying he's purely a good guy, he certainly isn't).

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

Board footer