Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-07 12:57:32

Nefermiw
Pilgrim

The Dirty Streets Of Heaven (re)read week 4, chapters 6 & 7 *SPOILERS*

Since nobody else started a thread for this weeks discussion, I thought I would do so.

NO SPOILERS !!! I and maybe others are reading the book for the firsts time.

So far as what I remember from these two chapters. Bobby has drunk too much and "accidentally" slept with his old girlfriend. He gets paranoid about her questions and more so when he sees her talking to somebody on the phone right after he leaves her after breakfast.

Next chapter is about Bobby meeting the duchess. I both like and dislike this chapter. I don't care for the smart ass talk that Bobby keeps on talking all through the book so far and this chapter seems full of it. It is rather interesting with the hand print on his door, though, so I am eager to keep on reading to see where this is going.

Am a bit tired now, so hopefully others have comments that will jig my memory about these two chapters.

#2 2012-10-07 23:22:23

Nefermiw
Pilgrim

Re: The Dirty Streets Of Heaven (re)read week 4, chapters 6 & 7 *SPOILERS*

Woke up this morning and though "did I write duchess... it should have been countess, right?" guess I was too tired yesterday to look it up and right now too busy to look it up, but I am pretty sure it is countess.

#3 2012-10-08 10:05:24

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yup, it's countess - the Countess of Cold hands to be exact. But Bobby calls her "princess", so why not give her yet another title? ;)

I can't really think of anything to say about these chapters, except that I still can't quite get used to angels having sex. And as for Bobby's interest in the Countess, that's something I'll probably never understand, how people can be so interested in someone who's good-looking - OK, so I've never even had a crush on anyone, but I don't think I ever will just based on looks.  So that's yet another thing that keeps me from connecting to Bobby.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#4 2012-10-09 14:58:44

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I have finished the book, but I'm going to try to avoid making any spoilers.

Monica - Bobby says she's named after the character on Friends... I have a feeling this is one of those things that will quickly date this book. Friends was cancelled in 2004, so the reference is already 8-18 years old, perpetual reruns notwithstanding.

The history of Mr. and Mrs. Stanford appears accurate. I wonder how much research Tad did on this part of the book.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2012-10-10 10:35:50

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Chapter 6 seems to be more world building...we have a mark of the burned hand on the door, some sort of marked for death imagery from hell

we also see a bit of a scared of commitment side from Bobby

Chapter 7 starts with us seeing the inside of bobby appartment turned inside out, looking for what exactly? ANyway it scares him enough that he grabs his gun and goes awol from his superiors...the musicians he likes so far are all jazz and blues guys...was bobby a musician in his past life, from my experieince these guys are typically forgotten except by people interested in playing music?

In the watering hole i wonder why nobody does anything when he attacks the demon bodyguards? should he have at least been tossed by the real bouncers of the bar? weird, Candy and Cinnamon...names to inspre fear lol

it seems the bad guys dont know who did grasswax and the countess seems confused and scared of the hand that was on bobby's door...she obviously knows something about what it is

and she gives him a name...isnt there some kind of myth that if you know the name of a demon you can gain control of them?

#6 2012-10-10 21:42:09

cyan
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

And as for Bobby's interest in the Countess, that's something I'll probably never understand, how people can be so interested in someone who's good-looking - OK, so I've never even had a crush on anyone, but I don't think I ever will just based on looks.

I have my own difficulties with Bobby's interactions with the Countess, but most of that comes later.  Really trying to avoid spoilers here!  I do understand Bobby's fascination with the Countess, even if it does seem to be based upon appearance.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the only point of view we get is Bobby's so it does seem that his attraction to the Countess is appearance-based.  But I would argue that the appearance factor is primarily based upon Bobby's own preferences, and not simply based on what is commonly presented as 'attractive'.  Case in point: when I first met Doug, I practically pounced on him because his eyes reminded me of Sean Connery.  Turns out they're both Scottish and that's what I was attracted to on the appearance level.  Seeing as Bobby (and therefore, us readers) have no memory of his corporeal life (if he had one), we have no idea what sort of feminine feature(s) he was drawn to.  I don't think Bobby knows either.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#7 2012-10-11 08:10:30

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Neemo wrote:

and she gives him a name...isnt there some kind of myth that if you know the name of a demon you can gain control of them?

I think it usually goes if you know a being's true name you can control it. Not sure what myths it pops up in, but (incoming nerd alert) I know it's that way in the DnD universe. From what I know of THAT, many creatures have false names or have been given names by those that don't know their name, and those do not work for control.

Magpie wrote:

And as for Bobby's interest in the Countess, that's something I'll probably never understand, how people can be so interested in someone who's good-looking - OK, so I've never even had a crush on anyone, but I don't think I ever will just based on looks.  So that's yet another thing that keeps me from connecting to Bobby.

While good-looking is different from person to person, I think a lot of it goes back to just instincts--all that "men are attracted to women with wide hips because they're good for bearing children" type of stuff. Which again is something interesting about angels, they seem to remember some select things.

Last edited by Ad1tu (2012-10-11 08:48:31)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#8 2012-10-11 11:17:15

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Neemo wrote:

I think it usually goes if you know a being's true name you can control it. Not sure what myths it pops up in, but (incoming nerd alert) I know it's that way in the DnD universe. From what I know of THAT, many creatures have false names or have been given names by those that don't know their name, and those do not work for control

Ah yes...that is what I was thinking of...DnD demons

#9 2012-10-13 01:04:46

ylvs
Mantis

Sorry for being late this week ... life ...

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Monica - Bobby says she's named after the character on Friends... I have a feeling this is one of those things that will quickly date this book. Friends was cancelled in 2004, so the reference is already 8-18 years old, perpetual reruns notwithstanding.

The history of Mr. and Mrs. Stanford appears accurate. I wonder how much research Tad did on this part of the book.

I never watched Friends (awful German syncronisation) so I don't get the reference further than what is said  here. I don't see the problem, it's a TV character and what is meant to come across is that TV plays its role in angel life as well as human life.

As for the amount of research Tad did on the book: he said in an interview that it is second only to the Otherland books - so loads!

Bobby thinks a lot about his body and his functions. There are no bathrooms in heaven made me laugh heartily. I like these musings as they very much reflect what I think myself from time to time ... don't you? I mean wondering about the works and wonders, the pleasant and not so pleasant parts of what is constituing yourself, your "meat sack". Luckily it's been quite some time since my head felt like a used sweat sock filled with wet cement
This Morning After description is interesting. While Bobby immeadiatly begins to calculate the consequences of their One Night Stand and how he can escape a renewed relationship with Monica while she seems fairly at ease not expecting anything more. I like this non clichéd woman view on women. Yes we can have sex for the sake of having sex. Thank you Dogly One. And I like the misunderstandings that arise from the different interpretations of the situation - so much like RL.
This is the first chapter where San Judas begins to become a character of its own. I've never been to the Bay Area (but will be soon as my sister just moved there) but these descriptions make it come alive.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#10 2012-10-13 01:21:27

ylvs
Mantis

cyan wrote:

Magpie wrote:

And as for Bobby's interest in the Countess, that's something I'll probably never understand, how people can be so interested in someone who's good-looking - OK, so I've never even had a crush on anyone, but I don't think I ever will just based on looks.

I have my own difficulties with Bobby's interactions with the Countess, but most of that comes later.  Really trying to avoid spoilers here!  I do understand Bobby's fascination with the Countess, even if it does seem to be based upon appearance.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the only point of view we get is Bobby's so it does seem that his attraction to the Countess is appearance-based.  But I would argue that the appearance factor is primarily based upon Bobby's own preferences, and not simply based on what is commonly presented as 'attractive'.  Case in point: when I first met Doug, I practically pounced on him because his eyes reminded me of Sean Connery.  Turns out they're both Scottish and that's what I was attracted to on the appearance level.  Seeing as Bobby (and therefore, us readers) have no memory of his corporeal life (if he had one), we have no idea what sort of feminine feature(s) he was drawn to.  I don't think Bobby knows either.

I'm with cyan on this. Bobby is not consciously deciding to be interested in th Countess because of her gorgeous looks he's just falling for her because ... yes because of what? Looks, way of moving, smell, voice, all of this together in this special mixture. This happend to me once. Saw a guy and was bewitched. Magic. I can not explain it but looks hardly had anything to do with it.

I have a little theory about Bobby's magic attraction to the Countess but it's far too early to share it (and when I do you'll probably consider it far fetched and stupid).

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#11 2012-10-13 01:34:36

ylvs
Mantis

Oh I forgot:

a lioness comes to drink fairly accurate quote from page 74, 1st paragraph.

Missed waking up in trouble. I think this time it only refers to the situation of waking up in the Ex's bed or can anybody find an actual quote?

Don't you Smarchis like the perpetual references to little dogs? In my head I hear Tad talking of chiuauas taking over the household when I read this...

Scrollbearer

#12 2012-10-13 01:59:37

cyan
Mantis

ylvs wrote:

Bobby thinks a lot about his body and his functions. There are no bathrooms in heaven made me laugh heartily. I like these musings as they very much reflect what I think myself from time to time ... don't you? I mean wondering about the works and wonders, the pleasant and not so pleasant parts of what is constituing yourself, your "meat sack".

We, as standard human beings, grow with and into our bodies.  We have memory of going through (very vaguely) potty training and (much less vaguely) adolescence and puberty.  Bobby Dollar doesn't, as far as we know.  When a mature consciousness is embedded into a mature "meat sack" with no prior knowledge as to how said "meat sack" actually functions on a day-to-day basis, what IS the learning curve?  If Bobby still ruminates over the digestive system, how does he approach that potentially emotion-laden biological imperative?

Last edited by cyan (2012-10-13 03:31:03)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer

#13 2012-10-13 02:55:05

cyan
Mantis

OMG, this is embarrassing!  I just now realized why I'm so off with the re-read schedule.  I didn't account for the prologue.  I was going 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8...  *facepalm*

Scrollbearer

#14 2012-10-13 03:21:39

cyan
Mantis

ylvs wrote:

Looks, way of moving, smell, voice, all of this together in this special mixture.

I really love the way you phrase this!  It IS a special mixture - magical - the components combined become SO much greater than its parts.

Scrollbearer

#15 2012-10-13 08:50:10

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Neemo wrote:

Ad1tu wrote:

Neemo wrote:

I think it usually goes if you know a being's true name you can control it. Not sure what myths it pops up in, but (incoming nerd alert) I know it's that way in the DnD universe. From what I know of THAT, many creatures have false names or have been given names by those that don't know their name, and those do not work for control

Ah yes...that is what I was thinking of...DnD demons

"Rumpelstiltskin" is the one that comes to my mind.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#16 2012-10-13 09:04:42

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Sorry for being late this week ... life ...

I never watched Friends (awful German syncronisation) so I don't get the reference further than what is said  here. I don't see the problem,

Tad's previous books have been set up in a way where pop culture elements can't date the book: when Renie and !Xabbu watch a flatscreen, they aren't seeing contemporary TV programs; they're seeing shows "from the near future"... this keeps the text fresh many years down the road. This book doesn't have that, and I am surprised that elements that date the book were added.

Imagine the line was instead "She looked like Abby from 'Eight is Enough'" and you may see the problem.

Bobby thinks a lot about his body and his functions. There are no bathrooms in heaven made me laugh heartily. I like these musings as they very much reflect what I think myself from time to time ... don't you? I mean wondering about the works and wonders, the pleasant and not so pleasant parts of what is constituing yourself, your "meat sack".

Oh, I don't separate my "meat sack" from my "self" very much. To me, it all feels like one package. I suppose to an angel who is able to sever ties, however, that just having a "meat sack" could become onerous.

#17 2012-10-13 09:09:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

cyan wrote:

Really trying to avoid spoilers here!

Same here, hehe!

Seeing as Bobby (and therefore, us readers) have no memory of his corporeal life (if he had one), we have no idea what sort of feminine feature(s) he was drawn to.

Apparently, based on this chapter, it was Monica from Friends!

#18 2012-10-14 01:25:07

ylvs
Mantis

cyan wrote:

Seeing as Bobby (and therefore, us readers) have no memory of his corporeal life (if he had one), we have no idea what sort of feminine feature(s) he was drawn to.

Apparently, based on this chapter, it was Monica from Friends!

She is not called Monica for her features but for behaviour, the only external resemblace is dark hair:

We call her Monica because she is dark-haired, cute and a bit of a bossy group-mom, like that character on Friends p.28

She wasn't skinny like the woman on Friends p.63

Last edited by ylvs (2012-10-14 01:26:47)

Scrollbearer

#19 2012-10-14 02:13:50

ylvs
Mantis

Tad's previous books have been set up in a way where pop culture elements can't date the book: when Renie and !Xabbu watch a flatscreen, they aren't seeing contemporary TV programs; they're seeing shows "from the near future"... this keeps the text fresh many years down the road. This book doesn't have that, and I am surprised that elements that date the book were added. 
Imagine the line was instead "She looked like Abby from 'Eight is Enough'" and you may see the problem.

Ok, I see what you mean now Firs and you have a point but to me this is not a problem but a challenge
It goes far beyond mere pop culture. Tad uses all kinds of references to make world and characters vivid and believable. And you have to have a broad knowledge to get them all. The refereces are to politics, history, arthistory, architecture, music, sports, culture in general (pop culture as well as say Italian Enlightenment. Here's an example:
 ... when you're working for any gigantic and corrupt bureaucracy, whether it's the British East India Company, the politburo, or the NCAA... p.49

If you don't have a clue what these organisations represent you only get a rough idea what he is talking about and you either make an effort to find out or you don't (I for exemple, being European and absolutely uninterested in sports had to look up the NCAA) .
I  consider myself a quite broadly eduated person and I very much like that my knowledge and education is challenged with this book instead of everything being spelled out. I'm amazed about Tad's vast literacy on so many different fields and really enjoyed finding out stuff I  did not know before - that way the novel became a kind of detective assignment for me, too. There were some references I did not manage to crack (and there are probably quite a few I did not even notice) and I'm already looking forward to your help in changing that! 

Last edited by ylvs (2012-10-14 02:14:51)

Scrollbearer

#20 2012-10-14 03:04:40

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

ylvs wrote:

This Morning After description is interesting. While Bobby immeadiatly begins to calculate the consequences of their One Night Stand and how he can escape a renewed relationship with Monica while she seems fairly at ease not expecting anything more.

I think this is the first instance in the book where we begin to clearly see that Bobby is not a particularly nice guy (as opposed to Monica who, small amount of screen time though she gets, does really shine). People picked up on it much earlier already, with remarks of not being able to really identify with him, but here there's something concrete to point to. (Actually I guess the introduction of Clarence also showed him being not particularly nice, but there it was the entire gang of angels (excepting Monica) being mean, and Bobby not standing out much in particular.) Obviously to himself he's the hero of his own story, and he justifies things to himself like a pro, but even he realizes this here, "I didn't want to become that guy again."

I have the feeling Tad is trying to move Bobby (and the entire series?) into a kind of Vlad Taltos direction. I know Tad's a fan, so that might fit. (For those of you who haven't read those books: Vlad's a human assassin, living in a world dominated by "Elves" (long lived, pointy ears). Not a particularly nice guy, though he gets a case of consciousness at some point in the series. He also lies to the narrator; sometimes deliberately, sometimes by omission, sometimes because his memory has been fiddled with. Each book separately tells an interesting story, but when you put them together, you start noticing the gaps and the things happening behind the scenes.)

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#21 2012-10-14 09:11:01

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

As for Friends and dating the book, I think there are 1 or 2 sitcoms a generation that will stick with us in the collective consciousness for a while.  Going backwards, Friends, Sex and the City, Seinfeld, Cheers, Cosby Show, Family Times, M*A*S*H, Happy Days, Brady Bunch, The Andy Griffith Show, Lucy, Leave it to Beaver.  Maybe a few others as well.  Just as we all still know who Mallory/Alex Keaton were, I think people in 20 years will still know who Monica was.  It is also one more reinforcement that this group has really only been around for a decade.  Angels, despite being immortal, don't really seem to live very long.

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#22 2012-10-14 09:53:07

ylvs
Mantis

To be honest I do not have a clue who Mallory/Alex Keaton were ...

Scrollbearer

#23 2012-10-14 11:35:44

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

*Echoes ylvs*

Pretzalz wrote:

Going backwards, Friends, Sex and the City, Seinfeld, Cheers, Cosby Show, Family Times, M*A*S*H, Happy Days, Brady Bunch, The Andy Griffith Show, Lucy, Leave it to Beaver.

Bolded the shows I've consciously seen at least one full episode of. Italicized the shows I've heard of. The others draw complete blanks. 3/12, 5/12 and 4/12, respectively, where for Cheers, M*A*S*H and Brady Bunch I couldn't tell you the first thing about them other than that their name is familiar.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#24 2012-10-14 14:58:23

ylvs
Mantis

This is fun Aan, I'll do it as well:

Friends, Sex and the City, Seinfeld, Cheers, Cosby Show, Family Times, M*A*S*H, Happy Days, Brady Bunch, The Andy Griffith Show, Lucy, Leave it to Beaver.

Bolded the shows I've consciously seen at least one full episode of. Italicized the shows I've heard of. The others draw complete blanks. 5/12, 6/12 and 11/12, respectively, Friends I tried but the sync was so bad I did not even make on full episode, I know what Cheers and Seinfeld was about, Andy Griffith Show I couldn't tell you the first thing about them other than that their name is familiar.

Scrollbearer

#25 2012-10-14 16:43:50

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

To be honest I do not have a clue who Mallory/Alex Keaton were ...

Alex P Keaton is what made Michael J Fox famous... Well that and Marty McFly.  Mallory was his sister and gave us "I shop, therefore I am"
Lucy should have been "I Love Lucy" if that rings more of a bell.  Lucille Ball/Desi Arnez's vehicle. chocolate on a conveyor belt?
Happy Days - the Fonz, jumping the shark[I can't believe you haven't heard of jumping the shark]
Leave it to Beaver - I think I've seen 1 or 2 episodes at some point, but amazed that it doesn't ring a bell
Brady Bunch - Marsha Marsha Marsha - This is a story, of a lovely lady,  who was bringing up three very lovely girls, the youngest one in curls....

After I posted I did sort of wonder how much cultural resonance some of these shows would have outside the US.

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

Board footer