Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-16 00:03:52

ylvs
Mantis

The Dirty Streets Of Heaven (re)read week 1 *SPOILERS*

Welcome to the new and shiny Bobby D. (re)read!

There will be a new thread each sunday to discuss two chapters of the book.

There are NO SPOILERS allowed in the threads beyond the current point of discussion - if you absolutely have to refer to future plot points for the sake of the discussion make sure you put in a decent spoiler warning ahead of it. Readers might be following this as they read the book for the first time ... so be careful what you post, please!

That said you are cordially invited to post/comment/share points of view.

I'm looking forward to much fun and insights! Here is my first post:

Already the first sentence of Tad's new novel startled me - a first-person narrator? That was unexpected. No time to wonder though cause the story kicks in without preliminarys (unusal, too!): alarms, security guards, guns .. and before the second page is done the first-person narrator is engaged in a fight with a she-demon which is so vividly described I almost thought I was watching an action movie not reading a book - yeah to braincinema. The first pun that really made me laugh is on page three: "Meanwhile she was also doing her best to drive her knee up through my groin and into my chest, introducing my balls to my heart, a meeting that should never take place." p. 3

What a prologue. Three and a half pages and it is quite obvious that this story is lightyears away from MST, Otherland or Smarch ... but I'm gripped and curious and already quite sure that this will be a roller coaster ride I'll thorougly enjoy ...

Chapter one takes me out of the fight and the situation I don't (yet) understand anyway and back to the beginning.  This is quite a common stylistic device in movies and detective novels and it is often argued that one is bored up to the point where the scene in the prologue is taken up again. For me it is not so. I stopped wondering about the fight until it reoccured and was quite happy to be introduced properly to the protagonist and his world:

It started in a bar as may things do. (Sorry, could not resist...)
Bobby dollar and his pals are hanging out in their usual place The Compasses (what agreat name for an angel bar) when Bobby's friend Sam brings in someone who turns out to be new in town and in the angel & advocate business. Then Bobby get a call to his next case and the reader learns about Bobby's job: advocate angel for heaven defending the souls of the just departed against the prosecutor from hell. Judgement Day is an individual point in time. Interesting idea.
Judgement is conduted on the Outside, where a single moment lasts forever and which can only be accessed by angels&demons and the dead. Intriguing idea.
Reading the description of Outside it becomes very clear to me that this is a book written by Tad Williams unrivaled master of similes and analogys who is able to evoke cascades of images and ideas with a mere phrase:
As always it was the quiet of Outside that struck me first, a great, heavy hush as if we had suddenly dropped into the biggest, most silent library in the universe p. 9

This is so beautiful that I want to finish this first post with it.

Last edited by ylvs (2012-09-22 15:48:36)

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#2 2012-09-16 01:44:05

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: The Dirty Streets Of Heaven (re)read week 1 *SPOILERS*

Everything Ylvs said:-)

I also liked that the Prologue took me right into the thick of things, even though I had no idea who was doing what to whom and why. But that is why I wanted to read on: to find out.

The language is very different from what I was used to in other Tad books. This is not the elegiac tone of his fantasies or the tech-heavy near future language of OTHERLAND, but a natural, street-smart, sharp-as-a-whip voice that is always to the point. Not much exposition, most explanations happen in dialogue.

I always thought that Tad was especially good with names. He is able to come up with a name that seems like a natural fit for a character. That said, I read some reviews that complained about the name "Bobby Dollar" claiming it sounded stupid. Of course, I heartily disagree. For me that name rings perfect. Especially after reading the first chapter, which is heavy with new information about how things work for angels on earth, but not overly much so. There is no "as you know, Bob" info dump, but everything is nicely integrated. And Bobby Dollar has so many connotations for me; it evokes the whole set of expectations that come with the genre of classic detective stories á la Hammett and Chandler and pair that with his angel name Doloriel and you get a whole new set of expectations. For me the name sounds absolutely right!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2012-09-16 04:07:33

ylvs
Mantis

Different povs already. Brilliant!

I am actually one of those who do not like the name Bobby Dollar. I got used to it by now but I remember thinking - even when Tad talked about the then book-in-progress at a reading last year - what a stupid name. It does not ring any bells ... don't see any connections to names like Sam Spade, Lew Archer or Philip Marlowe ... can you spell out that connection to me, Olaf?
Naming your protagonist after a currency seems so unimaginative to me that I can hardly believe that Mr. masterstorytellerandwordsmith came up with it. On the other hand: Tad being the master he is I think it must be me missing the point here. Which are those connotations I do not see?

Right, this will probably remain my only rant on the book because it is the only thing I had issues with (what a brilliant book this is - the only thing I is the name of the leading character ...)

Aside from that I consider Bobby's angel name quite remarkable: Doloriel. Dolor is the Latin word for pain, agony, anguish, grief, sorrow. Via Dolorosa - the street in Jerusalem Jesus walked to the crucification according to the bible.
This is a name not lightly chosen. Bobby experiences much pain in this story but I'm sure this goes far deeper and might even be a hint to Bobby's true identity. A hint I do not understand yet, don't get me wrong.
But this name is significant. Mark my words.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#4 2012-09-16 05:02:41

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I wonder why the name Doloriel sounded so familiar to me. To me it sounded like a familiar angel name, as if I'd encountered it somewhere before. But I have no idea why or where.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#5 2012-09-16 05:03:59

ylvs
Mantis

Folks, I want to propose a task for this reread.

I noticed that the chapter titles are often direct quotes from the text. Not always though. I did not stumble upon it in these weeks chapters. Did I miss them?

Let's please hunt for those titles during the course of this project.

Scrollbearer

#6 2012-09-16 05:25:44

Olaf
Mantis
Website

@ylvs

I admit that taken out of context "Bobby Dollar" sounds indeed strange maybe even stupid. But I think "Dollar" is deliberately homophonic to Doloriel while "Bobby" is short for "Robert" Tad`s own real name. Dollar is also a play on the classic PI character who works for cash for pretty much anybody. While indeed Bobby Dollar does the opposite. He works for the one authority who does not care for money. And of course, Bobby Dollar and his fellow earthbound angels all have rather silly, witty names or nicknames. They do the Lord`s work, but they take themselves seriously all the time. I liked that. Somehow the name clicked for me.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#7 2012-09-16 06:03:46

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Folks, I want to propose a task for this reread.

I noticed that the chapter titles are often direct quotes from the text. Not always though. I did not stumble upon it in these weeks chapters. Did I miss them?

Let's please hunt for those titles during the course of this project.

I can't remember seeing anything about "inhuman resources", from the prologue title, but "an old testament cinch" from chapter 1 is a quote:

The conviction was beginning to look, as my old mentor Leo used to say, like an Old Testament Cinch."

It's on p. 17 in my copy (not sure if we all have the same page numbers) - a few paragraphs after Grasswax reveals Silvia Martino has been cheating on her husband.

I can't really think of anything else to say about these chapters except that the thing with the extra nipples in the prologue always makes me grin - I used to know a girl who had an extra nipple, and she was actually one of very few religious people I know, and the only one my age.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#8 2012-09-16 06:15:48

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Actually, the "extra nipples" part made me think of the James Bond movie, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN and that was my only association.-)

Last edited by Olaf (2012-09-16 06:16:07)

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#9 2012-09-16 17:09:03

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Before I get into it, I'd like to point out that the first time around, I didn't really notice the feathers under the chapter titles, but now that I'm going back a second time, I see them and it clicks why they're there. Cool!

For reference: I'm reading out of the hardcover edition, not our ARCs, so I'm not sure if the pages match up exactly.

Ok, here we go...

Prologue: Ooo first person narrator, something different for Tad, should be interesting. I'm wondering what these "old habits" are mentioned in the 2nd paragraph, what did the narrator used to do? Haha, extra nipples, ok I can definitely tell this should be a lot different than the serious epic fantasies I'm used to reading, it's more sarcastic and dry humor. So already this book has got me asking questions, which is good.

Ch 1: Is the "Whole Sick Choir" name a reference to something? Already by page 8 I'm getting the idea that these Advocates are very different from the rest of the angels in Heaven--they seem very blue collar. (I find it interesting that on page 5 BD says he doesn't smoke anymore, but on the cover he is holding a cigarette.) The New Guy, Haraheliel, seems like he'll need watching, quick "job" advancement, theoretical but no practical knowledge, hmm...  Even more so with his ace-up-the-sleeve insight to help them win the case.

And I'm with Olaf, extra nipples ALWAYS make me think of "The Man With the Golden Gun"!

edit:

Olaf wrote:

... while "Bobby" is short for "Robert" Tad`s own real name.

*gasp!* Tad isn't really Tad?!

Last edited by Ad1tu (2012-09-16 17:12:10)

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#10 2012-09-16 18:31:04

redNathalie
Pilgrim

I like the Bobby Dollar name. It has a good spoken rhythm and sound, simple but tough, a little blue-collar as Aditu said...it has style. Plus the nice connection to the name Doloriel (which also sounds familiar to me, somehow).

These first two chapters are great for jumping right into the action and introducing the characters while the plot gets moved swiftly along. Seems to be a talent of this promising young author...

It's nice to see some bits of Tad in here, the little swipe at Woodside and Bobby nattering on about the Giants. Good quotes already, too: "Grasswax wore the expression of a man forced to watch a long elementary school performance while standing outside in foul weather." *grin*

Also, the description of the she-demon with the dislocated jaw looking like "an extremely disturbing Popeye cosplay girl" was...well, really disturbing.

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#11 2012-09-17 00:25:37

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I noticed early that the chapter titles were quotes from the text, which made it fun to anticipate them in the text and see what context they arrived in.

I want to call Doloriel "Baby" Dollar for some reason. I think it would have been a cool name too, but maybe more appropriate for a stripper than an angel.

I enjoyed the prologue a lot, and the two first chapters continues to suck me straight into the story!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#12 2012-09-17 02:02:08

cyan
Mantis

Ad1tu wrote:

Olaf wrote:

In an alternate universe, author Bobby Williams is known for his epic fantasy called, "Recollection, Sadness, and Spike".

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#13 2012-09-17 03:13:02

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Olaf wrote:

Actually, the "extra nipples" part made me think of the James Bond movie, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN and that was my only association.-)

The downside of my TV-less life... it also took me a while to understand what's the deal with Clarence's name, too.

Ad1tu wrote:

Ch 1: Is the "Whole Sick Choir" name a reference to something?

I had the same thought, but googling it doesn't turn up anything.

Even more so with his ace-up-the-sleeve insight to help them win the case.

I wondered if that could have something to do with having worked in Records before, but I don't know how that would have worked. It's pretty unlikely he'd remember something about precisely the person who happened to be the first to die after he arrived in San Judas, and I don't suppose he'd be able to access the records from Earth.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#14 2012-09-17 03:18:21

ylvs
Mantis

cyan wrote:

Ad1tu wrote:

Olaf wrote:

In an alternate universe, author Bobby Williams is known for his epic fantasy called, "Recollection, Sadness, and Spike".

Cyan I almost spit tea over my keyboard ...
Thank you for a heartfelt laugh on a far to busy morning!

Scrollbearer

#15 2012-09-17 23:54:04

cyan
Mantis

Prologue: Okay, I will say this out loud – it totally reminded me of a scene from one of the Dresden Files books.  This is a complimentary comparison: I finally started the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher last November and devoured all 13 novels in the space of 2 months.  (Have not branched off into the short story collections yet.)  I really like the “running start” introduction, it draws you in immediately with questions about how did the protagonist get into this situation and who is he (or she, in other works) to have the skills to deal with the harrowing situation the way that he does?  It’s not a new approach, lots of movies and TV shows use this opening device, but when it’s done well, as Tad does here, it causes you to ask yourself, “Who the hell is this guy, and what the hell is going on???  Feeds your curiosity.  At least, that’s what it did for me. 

Ylva wrote:

Already the first sentence of Tad's new novel startled me - a first-person narrator? That was unexpected.

Ylva, you mentioned on another forum that you’d not read much/any urban fantasy prior to this.  From what I’ve read of this sub-genre, first-person is fairly commonly used.  But the intriguing aspect of using this POV is the very likely possibility of the ‘unreliable narrator’ element.

Olaf wrote:

The language is very different from what I was used to in other Tad books. This is not the elegiac tone of his fantasies or the tech-heavy near future language of OTHERLAND, but a natural, street-smart, sharp-as-a-whip voice that is always to the point.

Oh yes, very different!  What I really enjoy about both the tone and the language is that it is SO unapologetically adult.  It’s a new and wickedly fun direction from Tad, and yet a voice that is still very Tad.

Ylva wrote:

Naming your protagonist after a currency seems so unimaginative to me that I can hardly believe that Mr. masterstorytellerandwordsmith came up with it.

So, no love for Miss Moneypenny?  Even James Bond loved her!  (in his own way) ;-)

Will get to Ch. 1 & 2 in the next day or two.  I misread the calendar and was not properly prepared, urgh.

ylvs wrote:

cyan wrote:

Ad1tu wrote:

:-D

ETA: Ylva, I just remembered that you've not read the "Amber" series by Roger Zelazny.  I think that was my introduction to the first-person narrator and Zelazny was a master.

Last edited by cyan (2012-09-18 00:20:03)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#16 2012-09-18 02:01:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

cyan wrote:

Ad1tu wrote:

Almost like in the good old days of "do not drink while Smarching"... ;)

It'll be a while until I can look at MST without laughing now!

- Tad

#17 2012-09-19 23:23:08

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

My thoughts.  First read.  Haven't read past chapter 1 yet.  Going into this colder than most books I read.  Wasn't a fan of the prologue.  Granted prologues rarely make a whole lot of sense, but it just seemed too random.  My first thought was I really hope this isn't left unresolved until the end of book 3, cause that would suck, but if it is resolved earlier than he isn't in real danger.  I did like the receptionist though.

As for the trial in chapter 1, there is a danger in modelling the a world too closely on the real world, because inevitably I fill in details that aren't explicitly laid out instead of just assuming I don't know.  So Tad does a good job conveying that the angels care about the outcome of the trial, but there's a catch it doesn't feel like anything was done to get me to care about the outcome of the trial.  So there is a weird dichotomy.  I don't respect Bobby for caring, since I don't care, it makes him seem a sanctimonious goody twoshoes.  Is it supposed to be self-evident why heaven is better than hell?  If that is the case than it implies a religious perspective that I'm not looking for in a book.  Likewise adultery in a loveless relationship doesn't strike me as a serious sin.  Perhaps that was the point of the twist of Clarence saving the day, but at the same time it wasn't clear how a morality lesson advanced the plot, and it worried me that Clarence had to point this out.

I liked when Clarence was compared to a Dog.  Is tad still the Dogly One?  That felt like an easter egg, but perhaps it was just a coincidence.  Though that was a large enough meme that I sort of doubt it.

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#18 2012-09-20 07:27:41

ylvs
Mantis

Hm, do you want an answer to your prologue question Pretzalz?

Your thoughts on the beginning very much mirror what I thought when I read the book first ... It took me a while to get really into it although it is so fast paced... Read it twice nand now the third time for this reread if that is a recommendation.
Great to have you aboard btw!

Scrollbearer

#19 2012-09-20 07:32:06

ylvs
Mantis

Pretzalz wrote:

I liked when Clarence was compared to a Dog.  Is tad still the Dogly One?  That felt like an easter egg, but perhaps it was just a coincidence.  Though that was a large enough meme that I sort of doubt it.

Oh missed that one! The Dogly One hardly is here anymore (stupid facebook) but there was a sighting in one of the other BD threads. Probably not a coincidence me thinks!

Scrollbearer

#20 2012-09-20 10:22:37

ylvs
Mantis

Pretzalz wrote:

Is it supposed to be self-evident why heaven is better than hell?  If that is the case than it implies a religious perspective that I'm not looking for in a book.

Heaven is much more ambivalent in this book than it seems right now. And don't worry about a religious perspective. The Dogly One handles these shallows perfectly. There is much philosophical depth but no preaching.

Scrollbearer

#21 2012-09-20 10:57:21

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

BTW I like that you changed your sig, ylvs ;)

And I agree with ylvs on the religious perspective--other than the afterlife being modeled after a Christian one, there is no preaching and when it comes to ethical dilemas, they're approached more from a philosophical manner rather than a "Well God says I should do this so I will" deal.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#22 2012-09-20 11:21:41

ylvs
Mantis

Ad1tu wrote:

BTW I like that you changed your sig, ylvs ;)

I had the old one for years and at some time decided that I would not change it until the day the appropriate cyan quote came along. It finally did. Yeah. And noone beat me to it this time ...

Scrollbearer

#23 2012-09-20 11:36:01

ylvs
Mantis

As for the trial in chapter one: for me it was not so much about the particular case than about getting used to the concept of afterlife in this novel, the "what-if" thoughts it evoked in the non-believer I am. So I never gave much thought to my life being judged after I die ... and these ponderings made me care for Ms. Martinez in a way even a pagelong charcterization could not.
What I also like is that the concept is persistent, scientific if you will. There are rules the reader can rely on (not that they're entirely spelled out even at the end of this installment of BD)

Scrollbearer

#24 2012-09-20 12:42:08

Tad
Hierarch
Website

"The Whole Sick Choir" is a reference (and an intentional joke by the Compass regulars) to "The Whole Sick Crew" from Thomas Pynchon's "V".

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#25 2012-09-20 12:43:25

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Oh, and Dog is always watching.  Remember, Dog loves you!

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

Board footer