Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2015-09-08 11:07:49

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: FIRST BETA WEEKEND

Otherland will be launched two days from now, on September 10th! Pretty cool news!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#52 2015-09-09 13:22:34

ylvs
Mantis

Just clicked through a screenshot gallery and am a bit disappointed. So few things I did recognise, Lambda Mall, Mars, Four Squared, the Middle Country and that is about it. Most of the pics did not talk to me the way I had hoped. As Otherland more on the meh side as game quite cool is my first impession.

What do Smarch gamers think?
And ... do I need to get a pc for this?

*ponders*

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#53 2015-09-09 14:00:34

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I must admit I haven't looked at this yet. At all. I'm nearing the end of another game and I'm still very early in my Otherland reread (which is way late for this, it's going to be half a year to finish reading).

Minimum requirements look tame, so even a notebook that's several years old should manage, if it has a graphics chip. With integrated graphics it would need to be pretty new. Recommended specs are a bit beyond most notebooks on the graphics side (still tame on the CPU).

Looks Windows only, so you will need Windows. A Mac with bootcamp (I think that's the name?) should work, if it meets the requirements otherwise (I can check, if you know the exact model).

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#54 2015-09-10 04:39:00

ylvs
Mantis

Putting windows on my mac was a possibility I had not yet considered, thanks for suggesting!

I think I just wait and see what y'all think of it and decide then which measures are appropriate ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#55 2015-09-10 04:47:07

ylvs
Mantis

Aaaaaaaannd: new trailer.
Lamda Mall and Eight Squared. Looks fantastic.

Scrollbearer

#56 2015-09-10 04:58:36

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I will most likely download and take a peek tonight, depending on the conditions for early access.

#57 2015-09-10 13:16:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I am wondering if the House World is there.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#58 2015-09-10 14:37:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Bought it and it's downloading as I write this. It's not that big at 16GB, so it should be done in 25 minutes. Even before my computer upgrade, this machine is quicker than 99,9% of all notebooks, so I'll have to install it at work another day to give you an estimate of how demanding the game is.

#59 2015-09-10 14:43:15

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Initial reviews are very negative. Nothing about the world and quests and characters yet, because nobody has been playing enough for that, but the UI and combat system appear to be unfinished and there are bugs, errors and missing features absolutely everywhere.

I'll check myself later today.

#60 2015-09-10 19:28:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I'd like to give some first impressions, but I'm stuck on the loading screen after choosing a character and clicking on play. Which is further than I got at the start, because the game misplaced the mouse cursor. It also shows only half the text about the registration email, because the window is too small (or the font too large).

In the couple minutes I encountered a few big and countless minor problems with the UI. Not a showstopper, but enough evidence that I would have replaced the UI designer/programmer. Now if I could get through that loading screen and into the game, maybe there would be some nice things to balance the problems :D .

Edit: To be sure, this is early access, though it's been through a closed Beta before this. Server problems are very common for MMOs, even if there doesn't seem to be a huge crowd at first glance (no queues, not that much interest on Steam as far as I can see).

Definitely not giving up on this yet, it's just the worst possible first impression.

Last edited by Peter (2015-09-10 19:32:13)

#61 2015-09-10 19:45:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

While there's no information ingame or on the website, their Facebook site does contain some information. They are aware of the login issues and are currently working on the servers (US is down at the moment).

https://www.facebook.com/otherlandthegame

Having this information on Facebook instead of ingame or on the official website is not a good practice. Having server issues on launch day can happen. It's happened to most MMOs. Not being able to notify your users, is a problem.

And I discovered plenty more UI issues in the last minutes. Most of them annoyances instead of big problems, but still. So much bad decision making. Getting out of the character list will reload the UI and redo part of the login process in the background it seems. Selecting another server will do it again. Music cuts out while doing so.

When you create a character, the name is displayed in All Caps, yet in the character list it is written normally, so your capitalisation actually matters, you just can't see it while writing the character name (I do not yet know if capitalisation is visible ingame).

I deleted my first character to fix the capitalisation, then couldn't recreate it with proper spelling because the name was now taken by my deleted character. Which may hang around as a Zombie for a while.

#62 2015-09-10 20:42:32

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Downloading... downloading... four hours, it says...

*is still excited*

I paid for the starter kit. Is that what you're using, too, Peter?

#63 2015-09-10 20:53:29

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

1%!

Guess I should do something else for a while. You know what they say: a watched pot never downloads.

#64 2015-09-11 09:48:16

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, whatever they did yesterday didn't help. And they're aware of it. Their plan of action can be found here:

http://forum.drago-entertainment.com/in … tion-Plan/

My understanding is that a patch later today might stabilize it enough that you can get in the game, but we should probably expect serious stability problems for at least a few weeks.

#65 2015-09-11 11:42:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

They are currently updating the servers with a new build. They are testing and tweaking a lot of stuff before going back online and are expecting 4h of downtime. Hopefully this will be enough that people can actually log in and play, even if plenty of issues will remain ingame.

#66 2015-09-11 13:55:07

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I didn't get the download finished last night. I waited about four hours and finally gave up and went to bed. I'll finish the d/l tonight.

#67 2015-09-11 14:43:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Is your local Steam server slow or is it a problem with your internet connection? Not that it matters, you are only missing out on login problems so far.

Go go Firsfron internet, you can do it before the game is up in an hour!

#68 2015-09-11 14:48:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

It seemed like Steam's Otherland download was slow. Even though the download file is huge, it shouldn't normally have taken that long. I was impatient, but then I reminded myself I wouldn't be able to do much anyway, once I finished the download.

#69 2015-09-11 14:58:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It's not very common to get a slow DL server, but it does happen. 15-20 GB is a very common size for games by now, some go up to ~40. No reason to make them any smaller with the current gen consoles featuring BD drives.

#70 2015-09-12 05:56:16

Lunar
Pilgrim

I´m in!
I´m really curious what to expect since development did take so long and I havent expected that they´ll finish the game at all after the first company droped it. But let´s give it a try.
Currently downloading, I´m lettiehempstock on steam if anyone wants to add me to team up later on.

Edit: Oh and hi everybody I havent been here in ages, hope you guys are doing well

Last edited by Lunar (2015-09-12 05:57:15)

"This heart gets stronger, this skin gets thicker, this mouth gets louder"

#71 2015-09-12 06:18:44

ylvs
Mantis

Lunar!

How extremely cool to see you on Smarch again!

*pouncyhuggles*

Scrollbearer

#72 2015-09-12 06:58:58

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Game is partially working now. I did get into the tutorial on the european server, but the server went down within minutes. I could play a larger part of the tutorial on the US server before that started bugging out as well.

Progress.

#73 2015-09-12 08:51:31

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I wouldn't call it enjoyable yet, but it is playable. I have made it through a couple hours of tutorial so far, but I've also had to relog half a dozen times because the game got stuck (most common when using a portal). At full detail the graphics are mostly smooth, but especially around Lambda Mall I had a lot of stuttering. Seems to be better at lower detail, but I haven't researched that in detail yet.

It definitely does not do anything that should be slow on my system. I will test on a much slower system on Monday, so I can tell you if it's playable on an average computer not designed for gaming.

#74 2015-09-12 08:53:23

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Definitely worth having a first look now, Firsfron.

As for the editions, I went with the middle one. There seem to be 5 character slots for me, so the normal edition should have 4 slots. With only 4 playable classes that seems to be enough at first glance. There are also more inventory slots, which may or may not be useful. I can't tell yet and I don't know if you can buy them for ingame currency.

#75 2015-09-12 11:43:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am now stuck on 5isle. My character can't do any attacks, all cooldowns seem stuck, relogging, restarting, leaving the zone and reentering it... nothing seems to help. There's a small chance I am missing something and this is intended, but given the games performance so far, I assume my character is just stuck in some way on the server side.

Tried to play the tutorial on Europe to see if I can get farther this time, but I am stuck very early in the game with a zone not loading.

Board footer