Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-11-25 09:18:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: FIRST BETA WEEKEND

Some kind of huge mace.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2014-11-25 09:21:28

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

hmmm, yeah, some weird kind!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#28 2014-11-25 09:22:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Well, it's still rounded and spikey...

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2014-11-25 09:26:20

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Well, it's still rounded and spikey...

So's the space needle... :)

#30 2015-02-19 15:35:55

Ascua
Pilgrim

Just to keep this forum updated: there will be a 2nd CBT soon in February/March 2015 :)

"We are polishing the crafting right now and have a few more tasks to do. But it shouldnt take too long. ;) Maybe end of February." ( as said here )

Please notice, that a Closed Beta Test is just a test to check how the engine, code, servers, etc. is working! So don't be upset, if things aren't working as they are supposed to ;)

If anybody still needs keys, you may have a look right here.

For those who wonder what's going on: here is an article from october last year.

#31 2015-02-20 11:04:17

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Ooh, cool! I should do this. Who else is doing this?

#32 2015-02-20 11:48:10

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I think I signed up for the beta at some point after the first public beta. Can't check right now.

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#33 2015-02-20 12:37:44

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I also had signed up.

#34 2015-03-19 05:13:23

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It seems none of us got into the Beta, which has been running for a couple weeks now?

#35 2015-03-19 13:33:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I didn't get in (apparently).

#36 2015-08-18 14:42:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

I've been holding off talking about this much because I'm still not sure what the state of things is.

The original studio was closed and the almost-finished game was farmed out to another studio to be completed.  Some of the delay may have been due to legal issues with the original company, DTP, which turned into a total clusterf*ck.  But I have no idea as yet what the finished game is like now, so I've been hesitant to urge everyone to jump in.  I'm not sure how I'll get a better idea of what's going on, but somehow I'll manage, and will let you know my opinion.

I'll be slowed a bit by my need to make some money to cover for the change in scheduling of Witchwood Crown, etc.  We basically lost a year's worth of income, and you don't find that underneath the sofa cushions, no matter how hard you look.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#37 2015-08-19 01:46:56

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Thanks for the info, Tad. We'd love to hear news about the game, so if you get info, please do share it.

Sorry about the delay of TWC. I hadn't even thought about the loss of income, not being a professional writer and all. :(

#38 2015-08-19 03:03:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

An early access version should appear on Steam within a week, so it should be possible to give it a spin. Will definitely keep an eye on it (and I just noticed FlutePicc put it on her Steam wishlist :D ).

#39 2015-08-19 08:23:33

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Really? On Steam this week or next?!

#40 2015-08-19 09:13:55

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

The Steam page has been around for a few days, I think (I did see it mentioned somewhere on FB, IIRC). It says "Available: 26 August". No details on pricing or how things will work, but it's definitely early access, finished version next year.

#41 2015-08-19 13:34:14

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

How about a kickstart for Witchwood Crown or all/the rest of the Last King trilogy? I wouldn't mind pre-purchasing. Especially if it helps finance my favourite author.

#42 2015-08-19 13:40:44

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Might be difficult to work that out with the publisher. Let's hope the secret project works and that the backcatalog sells well.

#43 2015-08-19 13:49:14

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Yikes, Tad - I hope you find ways to make up for the lost income somehow!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#44 2015-08-19 13:54:50

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

Might be difficult to work that out with the publisher. Let's hope the secret project works and that the backcatalog sells well.

Damn that secret project, I want it to become unsecret!

#45 2015-08-19 13:57:54

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Magpie wrote:

Yikes, Tad - I hope you find ways to make up for the lost income somehow!

Delayed, not lost, hopefully. It does not slow down his writing and publication should catch up with the next books. Still quite unpleasant :/ .

#46 2015-08-19 13:57:55

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I suppose it will be unsecreted after Tad´s September meeting with his publishers.
I hope it some sort of short fiction thingy to help promote his return to Osten Ard:-)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#47 2015-08-22 21:26:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

The Steam page has been around for a few days, I think (I did see it mentioned somewhere on FB, IIRC). It says "Available: 26 August". No details on pricing or how things will work, but it's definitely early access, finished version next year.

*has now downloaded Steam*

#48 2015-08-23 05:24:43

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Not been playing any PC games, recently, or do you still prefer old fashioned media or other services, Firsfron?
It must be ~4 years since I bought my last boxed game.

Looking at all those boxes, I do miss the visual aspect a bit, at least for the big titles and if you buy immediately, they can actually be cheaper... but the convenience is winning out and there's usually more money in it for the developers, especially if you don't wait for a sale.

Edit: Why do I always write before I think? I know you've been playing PC games recently...
*facepalms*

Last edited by Peter (2015-08-23 05:25:44)

#49 2015-09-06 11:51:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Not sure what happened, but it's been pushed back to September 10. Let's see if they can hold this one.

#50 2015-09-06 12:41:38

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

From the Steam page of the game:

"Dear Others,
Our original release date is only two days away! I have good news and bad news for you. Original date? Yes, this is the bad news so let's start with this first:

We will unfortunately not be able to meet our target date of August 26th. There are many reasons for that, one of them being the decision to set up US servers simultaneously, as this has been requested so many times over the last couple of days. The team simply could use more time to polish the game and get rid of bugs that have come up over the weekend.

Now the good news is: not only will we have US-based servers (in addition to the Germany-based ones) available from the beginning, but you will also get a better game. As a small present we will release another Feature video this week, showing gameplay from the different worlds, along with a new release date!

We know this decision will sadden some of you and believe us, we have not taken it lightly. We appreciate your support and hope to see you soon in the game!

It won't be long now..."

Board footer