Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-08-27 10:54:05

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: Ad1tu's Health Room

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10945050

Pea plant grows inside man's lung

A Massachusetts man who was rushed to hospital with a collapsed lung came home with an unusual diagnosis: a pea plant was growing in his lung.

Ron Sveden had been battling emphysema for months when his condition deteriorated.

He was steeling himself for a cancer diagnosis when X-rays revealed the growth in his lung.

Doctors believe that Mr Sveden ate the pea at some point, but it "went down the wrong way" and sprouted.

"One of the first meals I had in the hospital after the surgery had peas for the vegetable. I laughed to myself and ate them," Mr Sveden told a local Boston TV reporter.

Mr Sveden said the plant was about half an inch (1.25cm) in size.

"Whether this would have gone full-term and I'd be working for the Jolly Green Giant, I don't know. I think the thing that finally dawned on me is that it wasn't the cancer," Mr Sveden said.

He is currently recovering at home with his wife Nancy, who joked that God must have a sense of humour.

You mean to tell me there is a hint of truth to the stories I was told that if you swallow seeds they grow inside you?!?!?

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#52 2012-08-30 08:19:54

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Well, I went and set a new standard for myself. Ackpbt. Yesterday I was feeling rather down-trodden and overall not happy, like it's gonna be impossible for me to lose these last few stubborn pounds I want to. So I was runnin' on the elliptical, doing my normal ~4mph, and on one of the TVs the infomercial switched over to the Insanity Workout by Beachbody. Which was for whatever reason a sudden motivation for me to hotfoot it and power through at 6+mph! I was about 2-3 min in, and I finished out my 12 min on the elliptical at that speed. Now, I realize this does not seem like a lot, but I am not a runner, at best I was a sprinter on good days, but running/jogging has always been my weakest activity (lack of coordination does NOT count :P) So to step it up and do a rate of 1 mile per 10 min, and successfully HOLD that rate for the entire time I was going, is a big accomplishment. So today I told myself, "Well.. you did it yesterday, and you aren't sick or sore, so you can do it again today! No excuses!" And I did it again today! 3 min at around 4mph, and the remaining 9min at 6+mph (ok, so I dropped down to like, 5.8 a couple times, but I had it on random and it was right when the resistance increased, so I'm allowed those.)

So my new cardio standard: 2-3 min warm up on elliptical, remainder of 12-15 min (I'll work up to 15..) >= 6mph. Then 15-18 min of walking, no slower than 3 mph, preferrably with incline.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#53 2012-09-10 14:02:45

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

So here's another neat way I've noticed I'm losing a bit of weight due to diet change...

Eating carbs helps your body retain water, so when most people do a drastic decrease in carb intake, the first thing they notice is water retention goes down--you lose a lot of "water weight".
Well I have this pair of skinny jeans... They were a Christmas present a few years ago, and I've worn them exactly once before today. I remember them being very tight in my legs, especially my calves, and alright around the waist, maybe a little snug. I've always had larger than average legs, both calves and thighs, which makes finding knee high boots interesting sometimes, and as a result I had never bought myself skinny jeans. I decided today, why not, I'll at least try them on and see how they fit--can't hurt anything. So they're still tight on my calves, as skinny jeans should be, but I no longer feel like my legs are suffocating and that my blood flow might be restricted. They're snug on thighs and fit my waist well. Why do I think water weight loss instead of fat loss? Because fat loss for most people starts in their mid-section, and I know I've had some of that, but there's still fat left there.

Now I just have to figure out some new outfits with these pants... and shoes! Ooof, what shoes do I wear?!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#54 2012-09-16 17:39:25

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I haven't given up on jogging, yet, hooray! My treadmill today was: 5 min at medium walk w no incline (warm up), 15 min at same pace w/ light-moderate incline, 6 min at jogging pace w/ no incline, remaining time at medium-quick walking pace to cool down.

With the exception of on leg day when I consider it optional, I try to jog a little bit each time I get on the treadmill.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#55 2013-12-28 14:48:10

ylvs
Mantis

*dusts the work-out machines and polishes the running shoes*

This is the challenge I'll meet as soon as I will feel human again in the New Year.

30 days.

Then we'll see.

#56 2013-12-29 00:26:29

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm thinking of making 2014 the year of working on my posture. I was already thinking of that for a while when somebody posted on Twitter about the motivaider.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#57 2014-01-02 15:01:32

ylvs
Mantis

Was at the gym today. First time in six weeks, I'll feel terribly sore tomorrow.

Th challenge food is very tasty but takes time to prepare. I chose the time for doing it well it seems.

#58 2014-01-02 15:06:48

ylvs
Mantis

And in case you missed the respective post in the Mint (last one on the currently penultimate page - I miss last ones almost as often as first one):

The book got translated and is available on i-tunes: Vegan for Fit

You can download an excerpt for free which gives a good impression and a few recipes. The zucchini pasta is delicious

#59 2014-01-02 15:36:39

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

On the health topic, here's a nifty graphic about supplements.

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#60 2014-01-03 01:10:48

ylvs
Mantis

Ha! The only supplement I ever take is zinc when a cold is coming. High up in the blue bubbles as I expected it to be.

#61 2014-01-03 05:32:27

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just saw a documentary that mentioned the results of Omega3 on learning and retaining knowledge. It even turned one kid from a potato couch into a book worm (although the experiment was on more kids of course).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#62 2014-01-04 20:01:37

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*coughs from the dust clouds*

Auros: Neat graphic! The only supplements I take are a multivitam with extra calcium (as I am not a milk drinker) and a separate vitamin D supplement, since apparently D helps calcium get absorbed, at least I think that's what my doc said. I'm bad at them, though, as I do not react well unless taken with a full meal.

Yeah, I've been slacking the past year. Getting let go from my last job put a damper on my whole mental attitude for a few months, and adjusting to the new job has been it's own set of fun times. I have been going to the gym fairly regularly for the past few months, but I only just really started in on a new routine.
It's 4 days, each day focuses on a different area, though almost all exercises are intended to be compound exercises, working groups instead of just targeting one or two muscles. There's bench press day, deadlift day, overhead press day, and squat day. Each day starts out with the major lift, followed by 3-6 accessory lifts intended to work your muscles to depletion. I think the cycle is two or three weeks of heavy lifts, followed by one week of 50% lifts at higher sets/reps.

My biggest issue regarding weight loss is easily that I don't strictly count calories. Maybe I'll try to find an app on my phone or something to help with that. I think I also haven't had much success with that because I've been fairly consistent in thinking that while I'd like to lose that last stubborn 10-15 pounds, I'm by no means unhealthy or overweight. I like to think that's a good thing, in a world where people are bombard by images of thin people and develop eating disorders as a result of it. I guess I just need a better way to motivate myself. And, you know, more will power :P

Tamishu's Ramblings

#63 2014-01-04 20:22:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

That's a useful graphic. I'm with Ylvs: the only supplement I take is zinc when I feel a cold coming on.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#64 2014-01-09 12:50:37

ylvs
Mantis

Ad1tu, I used the myfitnesspal app for a few month and quite liked it. But really? Calorie counting takes to much time and annoys me.
With that vegan thingy I lost almost 2 kg in the last week without being hungry or craving treats and with only three workouts in that time (twice running for 30 minutes, once gym).
I hardly can believe what I experience. I highly recommend it.
Quite difficult to get hold of the stuff you need and quite expensive and time consuming but it is worth all of that.

And I managed to keep the challenge even on the day of FiL's death.

*is proud*

#65 2014-01-09 18:50:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yes, be proud, Ylvs! That's a major achievement! Bravo!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#66 2014-01-11 07:54:21

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Woot, great job, ylvs! I might have to look into that. Although, I do like my meat n eggs n cheese... vegan could be hard O.o

New deadlift record yesterday: 140lbs. Mostly I'm just excited that I can lift more than my own bodyweight, haha.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#67 2014-01-11 10:14:33

ylvs
Mantis

Yay to heavy lifting, Ad1tu!

Funny thing about the challenge is: I imagined it much harder than it actually is.
And I love my cheese n eggs n meat, too. But how long are 30 days?
I learn loads of interesting stuff about myself and I am in a kind of Zen mood. Calm instead of overexcited as usual.

#68 2014-01-15 08:46:48

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

New heavy lift: 145lb single deadlift.

My husband convinced me to try "taking drugs" before a workout. So I succumbed and decided to try 1 caffeine pill to see what happened. (He takes a combo of a few things to help do the harder/longer workout endurance bit.) I think I took it too late, as I don't feel like it started kicking in until halfway through my workout. And I also don't know if it was the caffeine or what/when I ate, cos my tummy was a bit burbly afterwards, and WOW did I crash after the fact.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#69 2014-01-22 13:28:47

ylvs
Mantis

*recycles yesterday's Mint post*

News from the challenge:

Had three days of sin when I had to go (really, it was not my choice) to my fav restaurant. On three days in one week!!! Had vegetarian food but as it is Swiss cuisine there was no avoiding cheese.

Otherwise it is still so easy and tasty and I feel GREAT.

Did a proper half-hour run today. 4km. Not bad.

I am thinking of aiming at a halfmarathon in Hamburg on August 31st.

A sporty challenge might go well with the other. Or it might be too much.

*is yet undecided*

#70 2014-01-24 16:45:49

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Whoa, half marathon!? Did you used to run a lot, ylvs?
As long as registration stays open until pretty close to the even, wait and see how it goes. But train like you're going to do it, so you can't use the excuse "I'm not prepared!"

Tamishu's Ramblings

#71 2014-01-25 07:45:52

ylvs
Mantis

Yes, I used to run quite a bit in the last years. Then I completely stopped in autumn 2012 and only refstarted with the challenge.

Am just back from the first 7km run. Already 7km! Vegan power, I tell you.
Anyway, even when I did two to three one hour runs a week regularily I NEVER managed to do more than 10km. So a halfmarathon is quite a challenge.

I'm still undecided.

#72 2014-01-25 14:17:04

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

You're running in marathons now, Ylvs?

*is truly impressed*

7 km... what's that in miles? that's like... hm... carry the one... um...

No idea.

Wait.. I'll Google it! Brilliant!

4.3 miles! Wow!

*is even more impressed*

#73 2014-01-25 15:34:46

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

(now that I have figured out how many km are in a marathon...)

Maybe find an intermediate length race? Something not quite a half marathon, but more than 5km so you challenge yourself.

I am always impressed with runners. Its something I was never good at, I was always last or near last when we had to run the mile in gym class in school.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#74 2014-01-26 13:38:16

ylvs
Mantis

After much consideration I decided to do it.

I've been thinking about this for years. 2014 is the year to finally try. I have seven months.

Cross country skiing tomorrow will be a good training.

#75 2014-01-26 13:39:48

ylvs
Mantis

And you are the first I told it.

Feel honoured.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Board footer