Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-07-09 14:03:38

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Re: Ad1tu's Health Room

I'll contribute it to, "It's Monday," plus I've been oddly hyper, so it's easier to throw me on a tangent!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#27 2012-07-09 14:11:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Oh, yeah, it's Monday, too. Damn.
And I'm pretty hyper myself. I think too much music and dancing last week. Which led to occasional random dance steps at work.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#28 2012-07-10 07:59:31

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I have all the owies... Lower back says ow from yesterday, abs say ow from all days, legs aren't too bad... But, if it doesn't hurt, you didn't do any work, so I'll take the owies :P

It is interesting to find out what muscles you use during daily activities that you had no idea you used!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#29 2012-07-17 10:37:39

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I forgot to post my proud of myself moment yesterday :x So I told myself yesterday that gosh darnit, I'm gonna do these freakin weighted inclined sit ups if it kills me! I gotta do positive work while I'm at the gym! So I grabbed a 10lb plate and went over to the incline bench. Figured out how to adjust the angle (there's 3 settings, probably something like 25, 35, and 45 degree angles) so I dropped it down to the lowest. Climbed up, laid back, grabbed my plate, stuck it behind my head, spent a good 30 seconds of mentally prepping myself ("Don't wussy out, its just sit ups, you can do it!" type motivation :P) and then..... I did 7! With small, 5 sec break in between some. But I did 7! And then I did another set of 7, and my last set I only made it to 6. My issue from last week was that I had the bench at the next higher angle. I'm just really glad I could at least do SOME instead of totalling flaking out, because now I have something to base goals on. So next time I do them, I don't let myself to less than 7 (unless I'm feeling totally crappy) and aim to do 8.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#30 2012-07-17 12:45:45

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Way to go!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#31 2012-07-18 09:29:24

ylvs
Mantis

Just came back from first running I did within the last six months. Managed 30 minutes - not bad!
I hope now the spell is broken and I'll be making it a habit again.

#32 2012-07-18 12:30:41

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Go for it Ylvs!

I'm guessing the only sports for me this summer will be a bit of dancing at some festivals and hiking Hadrians wall. Fencing has a summer stop.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#33 2012-07-19 23:52:46

ylvs
Mantis

You're going to Scotland Sahi? Great! I spent my honeymoon there and have only the fondest memories of it.

#34 2012-07-20 11:56:29

ylvs
Mantis

48 hours later. Another 30 minutes snail run.
Yay to me.

#35 2012-07-20 13:21:24

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Yay run 2, ylvs! Keep goin'!

I had a tired muscle day today, didn't do quite as much as I normally do. Eh, I'll contribute it to yesterday was a snarky day, everyone else rubbed off on me, and I only got 6.5 hrs of sleep last night.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#36 2012-07-21 00:26:28

ylvs
Mantis

My experience from regular workout with machines is that sometimes your body just demands a rest, a real rest. I went to the gym three times a week for more then half a year whe all of a sudden i could not move the weights anymore. I Asked the trainer and he said that that is quite normal and that sometimes muscles demand vacation and that I should take a week off. Which I did and everything was fine afterwards.

#37 2012-07-23 12:31:58

ylvs
Mantis

Ok I took two days off and I did no snailrunning again but I did fill the kids pool by hand 20 10liter buckets carried from the well to the pool (approximetly 100 m) and did run back to the well. Together with a whole day of work in the garden this counts as a work out I think.

#38 2012-07-23 12:51:48

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'd sure say so!

Scrollbearer

#39 2012-07-24 08:22:59

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Yeah that totally counts, ylvs! Carrying big heavy buckets = farmer's walk, which I actually just did today! But with dumbbells instead of buckets....

Felt a bit better yesterday, and even better today, so maybe I was just in a funky mood that was affecting me physically, too. Was pretty happy with my FW today. Usually I walk between two points in the gym (I use the 2 Smith Machines) and go from one to the other a few times. Well I'd been walking from 1 to 2, rest, 2 to 1, rest, 1 to 2, rest, 2 to 1, pooped. Today I did a loop! In fact I did my loop 2 times! And pooped out 3/4 of the way through the 3rd. Took a quick rest and finger flex and finished up my 3rd loop.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#40 2012-07-27 08:15:10

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ooof. Wrist curls with 10lb dumbbell... arms are sore... I dropped it down to 3x8 instead of 3x12 with the increased weight.

Felt crappy last night and made comfort food of frozen beef ravioli with marinara sauce, and garlic bread. Kind of regret making extras since that's way more carbs than I normally eat in 1 sitting >.>

Tamishu's Ramblings

#41 2012-08-02 11:55:11

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Today was a pretty good day. Gonna do some heavier bent over rows next week. On an impulse I decided to change the weight on the assisted pull up machine, I lowered it to 30lbs instead of the 40lbs I was doing, after my first 2 sets of 5 each. I did 2.5! So I know I can do that next week. I figure I'll kick up my full body rows next week too, add an extra 5lbs to each arm and drop my reps down to 8. I can tell that now I'm starting to plateau, which I expect as I'm not eating to put on muscle, but I'd still like to push myself a bit.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#42 2012-08-07 12:32:07

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Well today ended up being a chest + extras day... Yesterday, we got to the gym at ~5am (normal time) and the poor employee who was supposed to help open couldn't get in because her manager overslept and she didn't have any keys or anyone else's number as it was her 3rd day! We hung around for a bit and waited, but left after 10 or 15 minutes. So today I did my normal chest exercises, plus situps and squats. I've decided I need to do situps every single day. I'm just not sure if they should be a warm up exercise or a cool down exercise... Hmm.. decisions..

Tamishu's Ramblings

#43 2012-08-07 14:20:19

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19147646

Weight training 'reduces diabetes risk'

Weight training helps to prevent type 2 diabetes in men, research suggests.

Researchers found regular weights reduced the risk by up to a third, in the study of more than 32,000 men published in the Archives of Internal Medicine journal.

It is already well known that regular exercise can prevent the disease.

But the report is considered important as weights provides an alternative to aerobic exercises such as running for people who are not so mobile.

Researchers from Harvard School of Public Health in the US and the University of Southern Denmark followed the men over an 18-year period, during which time nearly 2,300 developed the condition.

'Difficulty'

They found 30 minutes of weights a day, five times a week could reduce the risk of diabetes by 34%.

But they also reported that even less regular exercise - up to an hour a week - had an impact, cutting the risk by 12%.

Nonetheless, aerobic exercise was still found to be slightly better with regular activity halving the risk.

The two combined had the greatest effect, reducing it by up to 59%, the study found.

Lead author Anders Grontved said: "Many people have difficulty engaging in or adhering to aerobic exericse.

"These new results suggest that weight training, to a large extent, can serve as an alternative."

It is not clear if the same results would be found with women.

Common sense, people... Weight lifting is an exercise. It burns calories. Carbs are the easiest energy to burn. So if you lift weights, thus burn calories, thus burn carbs, you are lowering the sugars in your body and thus lowering the amount of insulin your body needs to produce, thus lowering your risk of diabetes. Seems simple enough to me...

The results would probably be similar with women. I'm sure the percentages would be different, but the message that weight lifting is a good exercise to prevent some of these diseases is definitely the same.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#44 2012-08-09 08:19:27

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Interesting change of pace today... Decided a couple days ago with the help of my fiancee that to help lose these stubborn pounds (I have kinda plateaued... bleh) I'm going to: eat less carbs, eat more protein, do more cardio. So last night I went for a "brisk walk" I guess, did by my approximation about a mile in 20 min or so. Then today I did most of my regular lifting (bent over rows, pull ups, and seated rows) and then went to the big scary treadmill! *dramatic music* I alternated between "walking" and "jogging" as just walking wasn't keeping my heart rate high enough but jogging was pushing it too high (at least by what the treadmill said, I'm not sure how accurate it is). My left knee was a bit sore afterwards, and it felt like the floor was supposed to keep moving, but overally it was an alright experience. I guess it's not so bad... (having never been on a treadmill before, I was a bit afraid of how it would go, and I've never been a "runner")

Tamishu's Ramblings

#45 2012-08-10 08:17:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Oof... calves are sore... this is new... solution? More walking! lol

Tamishu's Ramblings

#46 2012-08-13 11:06:04

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

So Friday we kind of umm slept in past the alarm.. .Ok so the alarm didn't even GO OFF but that's not my fault! It got changed and, silly me, why would I think to check it when it gets changed once in a blue moon? Anyway, so we went to the gym on Saturday instead and wow it was totally DEAD. The entire time we were there (over an hour), there were exactly 4 people in the free weights, including us 2. So we're definitely going to change our schedule around and start going on Wed, Thurs, Sat & Sun! After 4 months I still can't deal terrifically well with an early to bed early to rise schedule 4 days a week, so this lets us have a more "normal" (for us) sleep schedule more days of the week. Still have to get up early the days we go, but it's only 4:30 am 2 weekdays, and 5:30 am weekends, which is more doable for me.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#47 2012-08-13 12:54:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oof, I'm an early riser (compared to most people around me), but anything before 6AM is hard!

Scrollbearer

#48 2012-08-14 10:49:21

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

No kidding! Really the issue came down to needing enough time in between workout & work to be able to change / get ready / eat breakfast, and to not be rushing, we had to be in the gym by at least 5:30, which meant up by 5 so we could be ready and out the door by 5:15. (Yes, putting on clothes, shoes, putting up hair, finding water bottle, finding gloves, etc took me 15 minutes :P) So what was another half hour! (Boy logic... he has no problem waking up. Me on the other hand takes a bit to roll around, motivate myself out of bed, and half an hour later I'm KIND OF awake.)

Tamishu's Ramblings

#49 2012-08-22 06:19:53

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

So, I have to tell this story...

Since we switched up our days, today is leg day. I start out normal, doing my leg extensions, and because some assholes left one squat rack a train wreck, I just waited for my fiancee's last set on the other before I did my squats. I set up and get ready, and these two guys I haven't seen before come over and start cleaning up the other rack to use it. Ok, so I give them some time to clean, since I back all the way out of the rack, I didn't want to accidentally hit one of them. And I do my squats, la dee da (new weight record btw! 60 lb squats!) Well in the car on the way to work, fiancee said, "Oh did you notice you totally shamed those guys squatting next to you?" And I was like "Uh... huh?" He was over on the leg press watching. I do a hybrid squat of olympic squat with low bar, which means the bar is far back on my shoulders and I try to get my ass on the ground, basically. Apparently the guys next to me were doing wimpy, bending your legs to barely a 45 degree angle "quarter/half squats", saw me doing full olympic depth squats, and decided well being their legs to parallel or deeper wasn't so hard. I just laughed when he told me that, I'm still used to being the person who watches other people to make sure I'm doing my exercises right. I must be doing something right, though!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#50 2012-08-24 03:34:12

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Woot! Awesome!

Scrollbearer

Board footer