Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-18 09:04:30

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ad1tu's Health Room

Soooo I figure rather than posting all my workout crap in the Mint, I'd consolidate it all in it's own little room. Hope this is ok!

What should you expect to find here? Well I figure this can be an all purpose work out / exercise / diet / health thread. I'll have a post with my work-out routine and some guidelines for proper form, a post with some general nutrition guidelines (sort of an eat this not that deal), and if I see an interesting news health story I'll throw that up too! I really don't want this to just be about me and what I'm doing, so if you have a diet plan that works for you, a work out routine you do, exercises you really like, see an interesting report on nutrition / health, please feel free to post that good stuff, too! The more I read about what people think about health, what works vs what doesn't, the more I believe that there is no "right" thing to do, that it's whatever YOU like and whatever WORKS for you. I don't believe anyone should ever wake up thinking, "Ugh, I don't want to go to the gym today because it's boring." Or even, "Ugh, I can't believe I have to eat this crap for lunch because it's good for me, it tastes awful!"

If you have a question, you can ask those here, too. Heck, I probably won't have an answer, but someone else might, or I'd be willing to give a crack and looking up to see if I can find a solution. Especially with something that is so variable from person to person, it is even more important that you ask questions and try different things. Cookie-cutter work-out routines will only do so much, and don't even get me started on fad diets. Lose 10 pounds in 2 days my a$$.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#2 2012-06-18 11:30:08

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: Ad1tu's Health Room

Yay, a new place in the neighbourhood!

*brings some healthy fresh veggies as a housewarming gift*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#3 2012-06-18 11:51:39

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ok, here is an outline of my weekly work-outs. I'm not doing many full-body exercises, as I'm isolating various sections each day. Major muscle groups are: legs, back, chest, arms. Of course there is some cross over, such as rowing, which primarily works your delts also works your biceps.

Monday: Legs
Leg extension (free weight)
Squats (free weight)
Deadlifts (free weight)
Leg Press (45 degree incline)

Tuesday: Chest
Incline bench press (free weight, bb)
Level bench press (free weight, bb)
Butterfly machine fly (machine)
Pec Deck (machine)
15 min elliptical

Wed: off!

Thurs: Back
Bent over rows (free weight, db)
Bent over rows (free weight, bb)
Pull downs (machine)
Cable rows (machine)
15 min elliptical

Friday: Arms (aka Bro-Day)
Overhead press (fw, bb)
Side Lats (fw, db)
Rear Lats (fw, db)
Shrugs (fw, db)
Preacher curl (fw/machine)
Bicep curl (fw, db)
Bicep curl (fw, bb)
Hammer curl (fw, db)
Wrist curl (fw, db)

As you can see, I'm doing a mix of mostly free weights but using some machines as well. One of the big debates is the usefullness of machines vs. free weights. Really it all goes down to what you personally are (1) comfortable with, and (2) trying to achieve. Free weights are excellent for gaining control & balance; with a machine, there is literally no fear of you hurting yourself by failing a lift, the worst that happens is some clanging. So what POSSIBLE advantage could there be to using free weights if machines are so much safer? Control & balance. It doesn't sound like much, but that is huge. Why? Because what good is being strong if when you go to use your strength in real life, you hurt yourself because you have crappy form? Now that being said, machines are not inherently bad. If you are exercising for physical therapy purposes, a machine may be the only way you can start building back muscle strength without hurting yourself. So again, it's all about what your purose is for working out.

I'll give a few brief examples about alternatives ways to do some of the exercises that I do...

Squats
I use the bar & squat rack to do my squats. The gym has 2 of these racks: http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/h … track.html
Note the safety catch, so that if you fail a squat, you aren't squished by the bar and get seriously injured. I would not attempt a squat outside of a rack or power cage.
Alternative: The gym also has 2 Smith Machines: http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/h … chine.html
I would not personally use this for squats, as in order to follow the bar's motion, you end up moving in unnatural ways. However, this machine is versatile and can also be used for bench press, overhead press, deadlifts, pushups, pullups, etc. Great if you don't want to be injured!

Pectoral Fly
I use a Pec Deck machine for my flys, the gym has 2 of these: http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/l … ltoid.html
Not only does it give you versatility in being able to go forwards and backwards, it keeps you upright as opposed to lying down for the free weight version.
Alternative: Dumbbells or cables. With dumbbells, if you are going for a heavier weight, there is always the risk that your muscles will fail and your arm will be overextended because your hand didn't let go of the weight. Cables give you a chance to work one side or the other. Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

Preacher Curl
Unfortunately, I cannot find a picture of what I use for this, so here is something close: http://www.fitnessoptions.co.za/render. … oductid=53   Rather than being a machine like this, what I use has the pulley so you are not directly lifting the weight, however you add whatever plates you want. This is great for someone like me, because while I would like to use a standard bar + plates, a bar is 35lbs and I have no upper body strength, so this enables me to be able to work up to that weight. So this is definitely recommended for a person who has low strength, like me. This is also good for getting your grip down and the actual arm motion.
Alternative: Seated arm curl rack: http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/h … -curl.html
This is what I want to move to. Some gyms have barbells with preset weights that increase by increments of 10lbs, and you can use those with this, too. However what about the guy who wants to do 25lbs, or even 55lbs? Not increments of 10! So the bar gives you the ability to customize your weight in increments of 5lbs, which is what I prefer to do. This rack also has a safety catch which is good if you feel your muscle starting to fail--no toesies will be harmed! With the bar as opposed to something you need a two handed grip for, you can in theory use these with one arm, which I do see some people use this as an alternative to standard dumbbell bicep curls.

Alternatives are good for a few reasons. One can be the weight increments. Some machines only go in increments of 10 or 15 lbs. Free weights can enable you to fluctuate your lift by increments of 5lbs. If you're having an "off" day, it might be a good idea to use the machine instead of free weights, or if you really pushed yourself on a previous exercise and want to keep the same weight, a machine may be safer as your muscles are tired. Sometimes you also just need a change of scenery!

So what's with the low amount of cardio...? Here is actually a really good (albeit somewhat long) article that touches on basic weight loss ideas. http://articles.elitefts.com/training-a … t-cut-fat/ But right in the beginning it touches on why overdoing cardio is easy and bad for you. Yes, cardio is a great way to keep your heart rate up for an extended period, but if your heart rate is too high for too long, your body is going to think it will never slow down and begins to burn calories via muscle instead of fat. This completely defeats of trying to burn fat to lose weight. Muscle is also important for two reasons: As you use your muscles (ie, by lifting weights), you burn calories for energy, and even when you rest your muscles burn calories. If you have two identical twins sitting side by side watching TV, both weigh 150lbs, but one has 10lbs of fat and the other has 20lbs of fat, the one with only 10lbs of fat has a higher metabolism as more of the body weight by % is muscle. I personally don't do a lot of cardio right now for a couple reasons: First off, I have never been an endurance person. I was great at sprints in school, terrible at when they asked you to run a mile. Riding my bike around enjoying the view was great, but man could I burn out quick going up and down hills. Second off, it's boring. Being inside on a machine with only other people and televisions to look at is not enjoyable to me. So I do only a bit because I know I should build my endurance up some, and I feel that Tues/Thurs end shorter time wise, so I do a bit on those days to extend my work out.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#4 2012-06-18 12:57:04

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Oooo veg! Thanks, Magpie! Goes great with what my next babble post will be about... food! But in a bit, cos I gotta work and pretend to be organized (or is that pretend to work and be organized..?)

Tamishu's Ramblings

#5 2012-06-18 13:20:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Reminds me a bit of what I told a fellow apprentice once: "Always pretend to be working. Or at the very least, pretend to pretend to be working!"

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#6 2012-06-18 14:47:10

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Oh yeah, that's why I have multiple browser tabs open, and I have lots of windows open so I can easily run my mouse down to the taskbar and click on something else if I get a surprise visit :P

Tamishu's Ramblings

#7 2012-06-18 19:37:09

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ok, next topic, foodz!

How do you know what food is good and bad for you? Well there's really only one "bad" group, and that's where sweets like candy, cookies, cake, etc fall, and that's because they have a ton of sugar and very little nutritional value. Past that it's all about moderation and how you want to shape your body. This can be divided into three categories:

*Are you trying to lose weight? If so, cut down on carbs and up your protein a bit, if you are working out. Carbohydrates are an easy fuel source for your body, easier to break down than fats. As you take in less calories via carbs, your body will turn to it's fat reserves for energy (assuming you aren't upping the fats). It's hard to eliminate carbs, so try to eat whole grains and food with natural sugar in them. If you're looking at processed food, look for "cane juice" or "evaporated cane juice." The protein will help protect your muscles from being broken down as fuel instead of fat.
*Are you trying to build muscle? Eat extra protein to help preserve muscle. You don't need to cut down carbs here, in fact you may want to add some extra as they are an easy and cheap form of energy for your body. The important thing here is you do not want your body to target your muscles for food. A bit of carbs right after a work out, followed about 30 min later by protein is good.
*Are you trying to stay status quo? Figure out how many calories your body burns (approximately) in a day and make sure you don't overeat! Also, start looking at what ingredients are in your processed foods, and see if it's affordable to swap out for healthier alternatives. Avoid hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, any corn syrup really, and added sugar to things like juices, canned fruits, etc. This will help keep your calories in check.

Ok, so how much of what do I eat? This food pyramid is hard to decipher!

(That second part may be a bit biased.) Unless you go see a nutritionist, you're not going to get an exact number on how many grams of what to eat, and even then you'll go to three different nutritionists and get three different answers. First, some important numbers: 1g protein = 4 Cal, 1g carbs =  4 Cal, 1g fat = 9 Cal. Ok, got that? First, try and figure out how many calories YOUR body needs to function on a daily basis (exclude any calories burned by working out.. this means just for your body to function and live, not any extra work you do.) There are about a zillion different ways to do this, do a few and take an average. I've found that to maintain my weight, I should consume anywhere from 1300-1600 calories a day. (I am 5' 1" and around 125lbs.) So let's say I'm going to shoot for 1400 calories per day. Now I can figure out a breakdown. It's generally recommended that you eat anywhere from 0.8g-1.6g of protein per pound of lean body weight (excluding fat). Obviously you eat more if you're trying to build muscle. A good rule of thumb is 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight. I assume I've got about 100lbs, so that's 100g of protein = 400 calories. Ok, got 1000 calories left, how should that be divided up among fat and carbs? Some people recommend a 60/40 split, which leaves 400 calories to carbs (100g of carbs) and then 600 calories to fat (67g of fat). Others say 65/35. Between the three, some say 30/40/30 (which is close to what I have figured), some say 25/40/34. I personally say "close enough" at this point. This again gets into the realm of "You have to do what works for you."  This plus deciding if your trying to lose fat or build muscle makes for an inexact recipe. [This is also why fad diets do not work, apart from them usually having you lose weight in an unhealthy manner. They may work really well for SOME people, but not all people.]
Back to my food pyramid remark... In the US, the FDA recommends you eat 300g of carbs a day. Quick math, that's **1200** calories from carbs alone, based on a 2000 calorie diet. That's right, they want **60%** of your intake of calories to be from carbs. Was a wrong before? Is this federal body crazy, or are these other fitness experts crazy? You can't both be right! Well you're right, we can't both be right, and I tend to think the federal body really is the crazy one, for this reason: Grains are cheap. [Preface fact: Corn is a grain.] Corn and wheat are in the top 10 of US agricultural production by value, and both are in the top 5 by volume in metric tons. What I said earlier about looking at food labels? I was incredibly surprised at how much corn syrup is in the foods I used to eat, and corn syrup is a cheap alternative to cane sugar. (HFCS is thought to be bad for you, it does not have the proper glucose/fructose ratio to be processed well and is in fact worse than regular cane sugar, even refined white sugar.) You can eliminate many of these "extra" calories by looking for foods with no sugar added or no corn syrup added.

What about artificial sweeteners? I've heard [insert horrible news story, article about cancer, etc].

Here's the thing. ANYTHING is bad if you overdo it. So if you drink nothing but diet soda, all that aspartame MAY have a negative effect on your body/nervous system. But keep in mind that in order for it to go into food, (at least here in the US), it has to be approved by the FDA. Aspartame, sucralose, saccharin, stevia... are all legally safe alternative sweeteners. Of course you are going to have individuals that do not process artificial sugar well. But what nutritional supplement or drug doesn't have side effects? Most are mild, and therefore these things are stamped as GRAS, or Generally Recognized As Safe. So if you aren't sure what effect it might have on you, try a small bit and see how you feel afterwards.
I personally hate the aftertaste of most foods with these additives, so I try to avoid them because they taste bad. Some foods have a taste that covers or masks the aftertaste (Diet A&W Root Beer tastes surprisingly like regular RB) but most don't. But that's me.
[Fun fact: Monsanto, the company that brought you aspartame, has a new additive out now called Neotame, that while approved by the FDA and safe for human consumption, is NOT required to be listed on the ingredients label. It is chemically slightly different than aspartame, but is actually a much stronger neurotoxin, which means they can use less of it for the same amount of sweetness.]

Isn't it terribly expensive to eat healthy?

If you're used to Ramen noodles, Easy Mac, and Hamburger Helper, then yes, it is. Fresh produce has seen a slight price increase each year for about the past 4-5 years (as long as I've been buying groceries for...) and meats have gone up noticeably since last summer (anywhere from $0.50/lb on up.) Greek yogurt or even natural yogurt is typically anywhere from $0.20-$0.50 per container higher than standard ones. Multigrain or whole wheat bread can be more expensive than regular white Wonder bread, by $1 or more per loaf. But if you look for things (especially meat) on sale and stock up, it isn't so bad when you can't get a break on fruit or veg. Once you figure out what you should NOT eat and stop buying it, it helps balance out what you are eating. (I noticed that when I first changed my diet, I was still buying things I knew I shouldn't eat but grabbed out of habit.) And yes, I pay like $4/dz for eggs, but I had NO IDEA eggs could taste so good, and I also only buy a dozen about every 2 weeks. (Eggland brown organic eggs vs. store brand white eggs... seriously, thought all eggs were eggs. My egg this morning had a feather stuck to it's shell O.o) So it ultimately ends up being... How important is eating "healthy" to you?

Ok, you convinced me, I'm trying to cut back, but I feel hungry a lot. What's up with that?

Drink a glass of water and then come back and tell me you're hungry. A lot of people can't tell they difference when their body is saying "hungry" or "thirsty", and usually just assume "hungry." But really, every time you think you are hungry, drink 8oz or more of water and then wait 10 min. Still hungry? Ok, go eat. Not hungry? Congrats, you just saved yourself from potentially overeating!

Next on my list... Why does everyone else think they're right and I'm wrong, and what can I do about it?

Tamishu's Ramblings

#8 2012-06-19 11:21:57

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Why does everyone else think they're right and I'm wrong, and what can I do about it?

I have experienced a lot of criticism and questioning ever since I started working out / changing my diet a couple months ago, and I have seen a lot of "food pressure" in general where I work as well as the typical lazy office environment, all of which can be detrimental to your self-esteem and/or will power, so I figure it's worth talking about.

Oh wow, that diet plan sounds really hard, I could never do that! or Wow, you get up at 5AM most days to go work out? That's way too early for me![i]

I don't know if people think this is supposed to come across as a compliment or some kind of morale booster, but it usually sounds like it has a negative connotation to it. It's as if people are assuming you have this magic infinite will-power that enables you to miraculously pull off this feat of epic proportions. No, it really is hard to stick to your plan sometimes, but thank you for reminding me about how hard it is. Perhaps this is some kind of subliminal trick people are trying to use--if you fall off the wagon, then you are fallible and they can feel better about themselves knowing that you are just like the rest of them. It might go back to that weird "make someone else feel bad so you can feel good about yourself" phenomenon that is very prevalent among the less mature population.
The best way I have found to combat this is to response with a snarky, "It's not really that bad once you get used to it!" or "I'd rather do this than nothing at all!" Make it sound like what you are doing really isn't that hard, and if you're in a good mood, you can put in some words of encouragement, such as suggestions about how you got used to your current plan.

[i]Come on, there's cake and ice cream! You know you want some!

I think this one also falls under the category of people wanting to see you fail at what you're doing. Maybe it's because they really do think they can't do what you're doing, therefore if they can't do it, why should you? This one is so frustrating because sticking to a diet plan can be difficult some days and near impossible others. It's bad enough the little nagging voice in your head is telling you to eat things you shouldn't, but to have a loud and in-person voice telling you the same thing makes it even harder. There is literally NO REASON to try and *coerce* someone into eating something they don't want to. It's not cute and peer pressure can be very dangerous to self-esteem, diet concerns aside.
A good way to combat this is to repeat yourself: No. Just make sure it's not a cutesy/shy "No, not really, thanks," and make it sound like you might cave if they ask just once more. Say it with force and with a stern face. Make them understand they aren't funny and their comments are not appreciated.

Oh that's right, you can't eat that because you're [incorrect reason for dieting].

I personally came across this one, and the reason the person gave was because I'm getting married. It was as if they thought I would never ever diet except for to look good in my wedding dress. This one felt like it went back to the same reason as the others: just because someone else couldn't do it except in an extreme circumstance means you can't do it either. Projecting your fears / inadequicies onto other people doesn't help anyone. You not only harm yourself by continuing to think negatively about yourself and that situation, and you risk harming the person you are targeting.
Here is another case where a snarky response can limit repeat offenses. I came back with, "No, actually, my diet has absolutely nothing to do with my wedding, I'm doing it for myself, not someone else." [The next day, the person who said it hesitated when there was more cake. I call that a victory.]

You shouldn't do [exercise] because it isn't good for [body part].[i] or [i]You shouldn't lift weights because you're a girl and you don't want to be a muscley.

Any exercise done incorrectly is bad for something. Any exercise done targeting only 1 or 2 muscles without other exercises to balance out the surrounding muscles isn't exactly great. Some exercises require back strength, and if you don't have it, can be dangerous and you may seriously injure yourself. But unless the person telling you this knows your whole routine and is competent in fitness, you should kindly respond by saying, "Actually no, but thanks for the advice."
Fact: Girls do not naturally have the testosterone to build bulky, veiny muscles. Plain and simple. The most you will get out of months if not years of work is a very low amount of fat that enables your muscles to show through your skin. The female body builders you see on TV? Take testosterone. So please inform people of this common mistake.

You shouldn't lift heavy weight a few times, you should lift a lighter weight many times.

This is why some women do not lose the fat they think they will by lifting. Part of what helps keep your metabolism going is your body repairing muscle tissue that was torn. If you don't tear your muscles, there's nothing for your body to repair and therefore you are using less energy. If you aren't tired after doing 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps each, MOVE YOUR WEIGHT UP! You are just wasting time at that point. Please also educate these mistaken folk.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#9 2012-06-19 11:29:23

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g … t-18494725

Male tea drinkers 'at greater risk of prostate cancer'
Researchers looked at data from more than 6,000 men aged between 21 and 75

Men who are heavy tea drinkers may be more likely to develop prostate cancer, according to new research.

A team from Glasgow University tracked the health of more than 6,000 male volunteers over a period of 37 years.

They found men who drank over seven cups of tea per day had a 50% higher risk of developing prostate cancer than moderate and non tea drinkers.

The team said it did not know if tea was a risk factor or if drinkers lived to ages where cancer was more common.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer amongst men in Scotland and diagnosed cases increased by 7.4% between 2000 and 2010.

Screening examination

The Midspan Collaborative study began in Scotland in 1970 and gathered data from 6,016 male volunteers, all aged between 21 and 75.

Volunteers were asked to complete a questionnaire about their usual consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol, smoking habits and general health, and attended a screening examination.

Just under a quarter of the men included in the study were heavy tea drinkers.

Of these, 6.4% developed prostate cancer during a follow-up of up to 37 years.

Researchers found that men who drank more than seven cups of tea per day had a significantly increased risk of prostate cancer compared to those who drank no tea or less than four cups per day.

The study was led by Dr Kashif Shafique of Glasgow University's Institute of Health and Wellbeing.

He said: "Most previous research has shown either no relationship with prostate cancer for black tea or some preventive effect of green tea.

"We don't know whether tea itself is a risk factor or if tea drinkers are generally healthier and live to an older age when prostate cancer is more common anyway."

"We found that heavy tea drinkers were more likely not to be overweight, be non alcohol-drinkers and have healthy cholesterol levels.

"However, we did adjust for these differences in our analysis and still found that men who drank the most tea were at greater risk of prostate cancer."

Green tea

Chris Garner, a member of Edinburgh and Lothian Prostate Cancer Support Group, said the research would not stop him drinking tea.

He has adopted a healthier diet since being diagnosed with prostate cancer 10 years ago and drinks green tea.

Mr Garner said: "As usual you get evidence on one side and you get evidence on the other and you're left in the middle trying to decide who's right but I have to say, I don't think tea is very high on the agenda if you're looking at diet, lifestyle and so on.

"There are other things which come well above tea."

Dr Kate Holmes, head of research at the Prostate Cancer Charity, said: "Whilst it does appear that - of the 6,000 men who took part in this study - those who drank seven or more cups of tea each day had an increased risk of developing prostate cancer, this did not take into consideration family history or any other dietary elements other than tea, coffee and alcohol intake.

"We would therefore not wish any man to be concerned that drinking a moderate amount of tea as part of a healthy diet will put them at an increased risk of developing prostate cancer."

The findings of the study have been published in the journal Nutrition and Cancer.

Good thing I'm not male!

But in all seriousness, just about everything is bad for you nowadays. These studies tell people what they want to tell. There were no considerations for family history/genetics, other food intake, smoking habits, or where they lived. If you stopped eating or drinking everything that was supposedly bad for you, you'd be drinking water and there would be nothing left to eat!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#10 2012-06-19 12:48:44

Magpie
Mantis
Website

If you stopped eating or drinking everything that was supposedly bad for you, you'd be drinking water and there would be nothing left to eat!

I recently read an article that claimed drinking too much water isn't healthy either, and the people saying you should drink 2 litres of water a day were completely wrong...

To quote a friend of my parents, "life is life-threatening, otherwise we wouldn't all die."

- Tad

#11 2012-06-20 12:04:33

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/1 … ?hpt=he_c2

Watch out for the 2012 'Dirty Dozen'

Apples and celery are still agriculture’s dirtiest pieces of produce, according to the Environmental Working Group’s annual “Dirty Dozen” report. The report names the fruits and vegetables ranking highest in pesticide residue.

Cucumbers were added to the 2012 Dirty Dozen, while Kale and collard greens were moved from the list to join green beans in a new “Plus” category.

The category was created this year to highlight crops that did not meet traditional Dirty Dozen criteria but are still commonly contaminated with organophosphate insecticides, which are toxic to the nervous system.

Also included on the Dirty Dozen list are:

1. Apples

2. Celery

3. Sweet bell peppers

4. Peaches

5. Strawberries

6. Imported nectarines

7. Grapes

8. Spinach

9. Lettuce

10. Cucumbers

11. Domestic blueberries

12. Potatoes

And on the "Dirty Dozen Plus" list:

+ Green beans

+ Kale/collard greens

The fruits and vegetables with the least amount of pesticide residue make up a list of the “Clean 15":

1. Onions

2. Sweet corn

3. Pineapples

4. Avocado

5. Cabbage

6. Sweet peas

7. Asparagus

8. Mangoes

9. Eggplant

10. Kiwi

11. Domestic cantaloupe

12. Sweet potatoes

13. Grapefruit

14. Watermelon

15. Mushrooms

Although some switched spots within the ranks, the fruits and vegetables included on the lists stayed fairly consistent from the 2011 report.

The EWG report is based on pesticide residue data collected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration, which tested samples as they normally would be eaten — after being washed or peeled.

The chronic health effects of pesticide intake have not been widely studied, but Chensheng Lu, an associate professor of environmental exposure biology at the Harvard School of Public Health, said the toxins appear to be connected to a prevalence of diseases, including cancer. And some studies suggest pesticide intake, especially in the prenatal stage, can cause neurological developmental problems in infants, Lu said.

“Knowing that this chemical is designed to kill (certain) organisms, you have to be careful ingesting it,” he said.

With the release of this list, the EWG suggests consumers reduce their exposure to pesticides as much as possible by purchasing organic versions of the Dirty Dozen. Organic produce is grown using materials of plant or animal origin, instead of chemicals.

Organic produce is often thought of as more expensive than conventionally grown produce, but Lu said an increased demand in recent years has led to lower prices.

“You may want to think about saving money just for buying organic apples and not buying organic other stuff,” Lu said. “You switch your resources for the high risk produce and buy organic for those.”

For the first time this year, the USDA also collected data on pesticide residue in baby food, finding many of the studied samples to be contaminated with organophosphate pesticides. In its report, the EWG stresses the importance of accelerating testing of baby foods and asks the Environmental Protection Agency to focus on reducing the organophosphate pesticide exposure allowed for Americans, especially infants.

While I have seen prices on "organic" produce drop, they are still more expensive than "non-organic" produce. I agree that it's all about prioritizing what you can afford. I usually at least rinse my produce off before I eat with it or cook it, but that's about it. I guess I'm not sure I understand what the danger is--I mean, I get that since a pestecide is meant to kill living organisms that you should probably avoid ingesting it, but I've never known anyone to have any serious effects from not washing their produce, or even in spite of doing so. Is this actually fairly common?

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2012-06-20 12:45:24

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Let me put it this way: to use many pesticides, you have to wear a full protective suit, boots, gloves and masks... I don't really want that stuff in my food.
Of course, the residues in food are much smaller than what you'd exposed to spraying without protective clothing, but I guess they'll build up over time.

Ad1tu wrote:

While I have seen prices on "organic" produce drop, they are still more expensive than "non-organic" produce. I agree that it's all about prioritizing what you can afford. I usually at least rinse my produce off before I eat with it or cook it, but that's about it. I guess I'm not sure I understand what the danger is--I mean, I get that since a pestecide is meant to kill living organisms that you should probably avoid ingesting it, but I've never known anyone to have any serious effects from not washing their produce, or even in spite of doing so. Is this actually fairly common?

I don't think you're likely to get any immediate effects. Over the years, though, I'm pretty sure it can increase risk for cancer. Though that's probably hard to "prove" - how do you find out what's to "blame" when somebody gets cancer?
I suppose non-organic produce is still better than no fruits and vegetables at all, though (and I kind of understand the "other" side, too, I probably have a better idea than most of how much harder it is to grow plants organically, and still get a crop that looks as good as non-organic - and most people do go by looks, if it doesn't look perfect, it won't be bought.)

- Tad

#13 2012-06-21 06:37:12

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Yeah, as far as how the food looks, most people want produce with good color and is big, and seems flavorful. I guess we probably get ingrained from when we are small based on pictures of fruit that apples should be a uniform red color, grapes should be big and perfectly round, corn has large kernels and is yellow, etc.

So what is the biggest reason to use pesticides? Is there a way to grow some of these foods in enclosed spaces to reduce the bugs or whatever gets to food?

At least here in the US, there are many campaigns for preventing more specific types of cancer, such as smoking (lung cancer) and tanning (skin cancer). Maybe because it's still so ambigious about the effects long-term exposure can have that it isn't taken more seriously. And there don't seem to be many studies done, I wonder why...

Tamishu's Ramblings

#14 2012-06-22 11:32:18

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Well I decided to try pull ups yesterday instead of pull downs in my workout. I had to use the assist machine as I'm still a weakling. http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/l … pchin.html
But I only had to set it on 40lbs, and being at around 120lbs, that means I'm able to lift 2/3 of my bodyweight. Which I feel pretty good about!

So I've been doing some research into pros and cons of pull ups and lat pull downs, as if they are done properly, they're the same (or close enough) exercise with the same muscle movements. (The minor difference being that on a pulldown your torso is stationary and on a pull up your arms are stationary, not so important on pulling exercises.) Pull ups "look cooler". Pull downs you can add weight with more safety. Pull ups can be done at a variety of locations (machines, bars, on cable set ups, etc). Pull downs have the ability for you to work at various angles, targeting different sections of your latissimus dorsi. Either can have various set ups and alterations to change your grip, thus changing if your using more of your biceps, rhomboids, etc. (Since your "back" is made up of several different muscles, all attached to different places, it's just a fact you're going to use most of them in any given "back" exercise.) After a few hours of looking around, and reading a lot of "Well I think this because I can" responses on various forums, I've decided that......... Do both. One really doesn't have an advantage over the other, unless you don't have access to a piece of equipment.

My plan is to do 3 sets of 4-6 pull ups, followed by 2 sets of pull downs at a lighter weight for depletion. Eventually I want to be able to do unassisted pull ups. Mostly because in school when we had gym class, we had to do the "Presidential Fitness" tests, and one of the tests was to do pull ups.. I could never do one... Silly, I know, but hey, it's motivation!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#15 2012-06-22 13:26:42

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

So what is the biggest reason to use pesticides? Is there a way to grow some of these foods in enclosed spaces to reduce the bugs or whatever gets to food?

Do you really want me to go into this?! :) It'll probably get long!

The top three reasons for using pesticides (in no particular order, this is all just going by my general knowledge, so I might be wrong about some things. *shrug*) are insects/mites, fungal diseases and weeds. There are bacteria and viruses that harm plants, too, but I don't think there's an effective way to treat them.

Growing plants in enclosed spaces? So many issues with that...
- space. Obviously you can't grow fruit trees inside greenhouses, they'd get too big. But even apart from height - we're talking about huge fields here. You'd have to pour a lot of resources into building these greenhouses, which (from an ecological standpoint) would eat up all the benefits from growing organically
- irrigation. Along with the bugs, you'd be keeping out the rain as well, so you'd have to use artificial irrigation - meaning more energy poured in, plus extra water (unless you were exclusively using the rainwater from the roofs)
- temperature. Greenhouses get hot in summer - which means more water is necessary, and ventilation - which, again, means yet more energy is needed, and ventilation means outside air, means chance of "infection" - I suppose you could keep bugs out with fine mesh, but spores of fungal diseases, not so much. And those would thrive inside a warm and often moist greenhouse.
I could go on, but I'll pull myself together. ;) Insects are actually probably more easily controlled than fungal diseases, for example you can use traps or other insects that eat the pests. But fungal diseases... I think those'd be harder. Weeds are probably the easiest to control, but it means a lot of manual labour, which is much more expensive than weedkiller!

I suppose the price difference between organic and non-organic produce mainly comes down to this: you have to put lots more time and work into growing an organic crop.

Hm. I think there was more I wanted to say, but I can't remember it now.

- Tad

#16 2012-06-23 00:34:20

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ooh, a new place in the neighborhood! Welcome! *leaves some fruits from the greenhouse as a welcome gift*

they'd get too big. But even apart from height - we're talking about huge fields here.

Huh, reminds me of the fields of glass we have here. Not sure if there's fruit in them, but they'd definitely be big enough. In the night time they're like beacons and if it's cloudy you can see them from very far away by the glow reflecting of the clouds.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#17 2012-06-25 08:30:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Geez there's a lot more that goes into greenhouses than I realized! I guess when you've got big corporations running farms, the choice between using pesticides and lots of manual labor is pretty easy for them, since it's all about money. More reason to go to the farmer's markets! There's one only about a mile down the road from me, I might start going there as it runs multiple days during the week.

Today I decided to try something new: inclined sit ups. Hoooo boy was that exciting. First off, just getting on the bench was interesting, as I am short and uncoordinated :P Now I haven't done sit ups / crunches for a few years, but I used to be able to do flat sit ups no problem, 3-4 sets of 20+ reps easy. But these, I seriously struggled to eek out 3 sets of 10. I haven't really been doing any exercises targeting my abs, but since I did those pull ups and had THOSE make my abs sore (as I was tensing about every muscle in my core) I've been thinking of at least doing some type of ab exercises. I will definitely keep these up, maybe add in some twists, but I would like to find 1 other good ab exercise to add to Monday.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#18 2012-06-25 13:04:19

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Geez there's a lot more that goes into greenhouses than I realized!

Hehe, yes, it wasn't until I started writing that reply that it occurred to me that this is probably not common knowledge for most people - for me, it's so obvious. ;) I guess I completely forgot how much I didn't know before I started working in horticulture.

- Tad

#19 2012-06-26 09:00:07

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Reading through it, everything seems to make sense, if only I'd stop to actually think about it! I bet that's the case for a lot of people with a lot of things... If you just stop and try to figure it out yourself, you probably can because a lot of it is common sense, but most people don't stop to do that.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#20 2012-06-26 12:38:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

You probably know how the saying goes, why is it called common sense when it's so uncommon? ;) (I realize that makes it sound as if I was saying you don't have common sense, which is not what I meant of course!)

- Tad

#21 2012-06-27 13:21:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18570445

More than half of British women's waists 'too big'

Larger waists could lead to an increased chance of fertility problems

More than half of British women have waists that are larger than the recommended healthy size, experts say.

Researchers from the charity Nuffield Health say overweight women risk an increased chance of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, infertility and cancer.

The researchers found the average waist measurement for women is 84.9cm (33.43in), compared with the healthy size of 80cm (31.49in).

Nuffield Health's Dr Davina Deniszczyc said it was a "worrying problem."

Dr Deniszczyc, professional head of physicians and diagnostics at Nuffield Health, said: "Fat being stored around the waist can contribute to significant health issues, such as breast cancer and infertility."

Nuffield Health examined data from more than 30,000 women and found 57% had a waist larger than the healthy size.

It said women in the north of England have the largest waists, with an average circumference of 87cm, compared to 81.9cm in London.

Researchers also said 52.5% of the women have a body mass index (BMI) higher than the healthy range, while 16.2% were moderately or morbidly obese.

The BMI is calculated by taking your weight in kilograms and dividing it by your height in metres squared.

A BMI level measured between 25 and 29.9 means a person is regarded as overweight. If your BMI is over 30 then you are clinically obese.

Dr Deniszczyc said: "Whilst waist size may seem like a cosmetic issue, this isn't about women fitting into their skinny jeans. Rather, it's an important indicator of overall health and well-being, particularly when taken into account with other health measurements.

First off, BMI is a stupid measurement. Why? Because people who have a lot of muscle mass and little fat can get stuck in the "obese" range, because BMI doesn't care about WHERE your weight is, just how much there is. (Yes, I realize this is probably more of an issue with men than women, but it still isn't super reliable.) So BMI should never been an acceptable determination of your health unless it's calculated in conjunction with, say, %BF or % Body Fat. There are several ways to calculate %BF, but virtually none of the ways you can do yourself are very accurate or reliable. The best test is called Dexa Scan, which is also used to measure bone density, but since it uses x-rays, can also measure other substances. Most medical centers can do them. The most reliable at-home method is using callipers to measure at various places on your body. I've never used them, but I've heard from other people that because you yourself have a margin of error in measuring, the results can be off plus or minus 5%.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#22 2012-07-03 12:20:11

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18620860

US agency approves weight-loss pill, Belviq

US health regulators have approved a weight-loss pill for the first time in 13 years.

Belviq, made by Arena Pharmaceutical, can be used by obese or overweight adults with at least one condition.

The drug achieved only modest results in clinical studies, helping people lose on average about 5% of their body weight.

Belviq was rejected in 2010 because of concerns over tumours that developed in animals tested with the drug.

After San Diego-based Arena resubmitted its application with more data, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found little risk of tumours in humans using the drug.

Side effects

The medication is expected to launch in 2013.

Belviq is designed to block appetite signals in the brain, making patients feel fuller with smaller amounts of food.

It has been approved for use in obese adults with a body mass index of 30 or greater.

The drug can also be used by overweight adults with a BMI of 27 or greater if they have at least one other condition such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol.

The FDA warned that Belviq is not for women who are pregnant or nursing.

With US obesity rates approaching 35% in adults and associated healthcare costs on the rise, many doctors have urged health regulators to give the green light to new weight-loss treatments.

But the agency has set high standards for such medication after safety problems with previously popular weight-loss drugs.

The so-called fen-phen combination had to be pulled from the market in 1997 after being linked to heart valve damage.

In a statement, the FDA said Belviq did not appear to carry the same risks.

However, known side effects of Belviq do include depression, migraine and memory lapses.

The FDA-approved label says the drug should not be used for more than 12 weeks if a 5% weight loss does not occur.

Arena will be required to conduct six studies after marketing the drug, including a study on the drug's effect on long-term heart health.

There's not many FDA approved weight-loss drugs on the market. The vast majority of "weight loss" consumables get classified as supplements, which do not have to be FDA approved, or carry the Nutrition Facts panel or an ingredients list. Most of the supplements work based on helping you lose water weight (for the every popular "Lose 10 lbs in 2 days!" crap) or they slightly boost your metabolism with ingredients like caffeine, taurine, guarnine, etc. This is very different, as it says in the article that it will work to block feelings of hunger. According to the official FDA statement (found here: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ … 309993.htm ), "Belviq works by activating the serotonin 2C receptor in the brain." Serotonin is one of those "feel good" hormones, so I guess somehow an increase in serotonin may balance out the presence of leptin, a hormone that helps regulate energy intake and expenditure.

I am glad that this drug is only available to people who are considered obese by BMI or who have a relatively high BMI PLUS some type of condition brought on by obesity (type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) I just hope it won't be abused TOO badly by people who justify living on fast food, candy, and pop. I understand that every person is different, but that doesn't exempt people who have thrown their health out the window on purpose from having to work to get it back. It just bothers me when people try to "cheat the system" I guess you could call it.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#23 2012-07-06 07:17:15

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Woooo new record today! I did my Romanian Deadlifts, 2 sets @ 4 reps each, at 95 lbs, and then 1 set @ 4 reps of 105 lbs. Rawr! (I've been doing like... 55-60lbs) Was able to do this today partially with the help of a motivational gym buddy (my fiancee)... ok mostly because of a motivational gym buddy. I want to do regular deadlifts, but I can't because a regular deadlift starts with the bar 6" off the ground... which the only way to do that is to have the big sized plates on the bar, which are 45 lbs each. I don't know, I might be able to rummage around the gym and find some kind of blocks to use, but I'm not sure what all they have.

Tamishu's Ramblings

#24 2012-07-09 11:30:29

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Bigger, better Romanian deadlifts! (ok, at least bigger, my form was maybe 95%...)
2 x 4 at 105lbs
2 x 4 at 110lbs

My biggest problem right now is my grip strength. While my back and legs were starting to say "ow" my hands were saying "Oh god what the f*** are you doing don't let us drop this on the poor toes they never did anything ahhhhhhhhhhhhh." So while I bought some gloves over the weekend, they aren't really that great (they were $12, figured I wasn't losing a whole lot) so I'm going to scuff them up a bit over the week with sandpaper and hope that might help. Apparently the point of gloves is to prevent calluses, and the point of STRAPS is to help with grip. Oh well. Life goes on. I'm also going to integrate Farmer's Walk into my routine somewhere (maybe do Tues & Thurs, since DL days are Mon & Fri..) or possibly static holds. These are literally what they sound like. Farmer's Walk you pick up 2 really heavy dumbbells, and go a-waddling. Static holds are just using dumbbells or barbell and just let them hang at your sides. I don't have any handles for FW, but I might build some (there's lots of DIY ways to make them). But I don't know as they're particularly important? *shrug*

Oh apparently I've been doing "cheater" squats, and "cheater" sit ups. WTF. lol Soooo mad. My problem with squats is that the racks the gym has actually have the safetys set too high for me to go all the way down. So my fiancee spotted for me while I backed out and OMG what a difference. I'm not quite as strong as I thought, haha. If you don't go all the way down, you definitely don't use all your muscles and will notice it!
So sit ups... apparently, you can like... throw your shoulders forward... and create momentum, and thus not work your abs as much. Totally rode the clueless bus on this one... Fiancee was watching me do a set, said "hold out your hands" I'm like ... wtf... he puts a 10lb plate in my hands for me to hold behind my head... and I can barely do 1... The worst part wasn't that I couldn't do one, although that was bad, no he had to stand there and LAUGH at me trying to do them! Was so ready to just chuck the weight at him... No, I didn't really get mad at him, though, I imagine I looked pretty doofy, it was just frustrating that HE was laughing which made ME laugh, and then I couldn't do anything!!!

Hey, at least I've got goals, and I'm not like crazy green shirt guy on Friday O.o Never seen the guy before, he comes in, grabs a bar off one of the racks, shoves some (seemingly random) weights on, and starts doing Clean & Jerks. Now, this guy looked like he just stepped out of a comic book shop and was on his way home to mom's basement, downright NERDY. I wasn't going to write him off as weak just because he was a bit chubby, because if you've seen powerlifters on their bulk cycle, they all have big stomachs, it's just how bulking works. But watching this guys form, and seeing how he struggled, I honestly don't believe he'd ever been in a gym before that day, and he's cruising to get himself or someone else hurt. (1) Who does Clean & Jerks unless you're competing? There is literally no point. You practice the 3 movements separately... And by his execution, I don't believe he was competing. (2) His form on everything. Poor foot placement, locking knees, looked overall unbalanced. (3) Didn't seem to have any idea of his own strength. It seemed like he picked a few plates to put on and just went with it, and didn't stop to consider if that particular lift was too easy or too hard. Many of the overhead press movements he did were unbalanced, he was clearly pushing with one arm much harder than the other. Clearly pushed himself wayyyyy too hard on overhead movements, which is BEYOND dangerous because not only could you drop the weight on your own head, but who knows where it's going after that and who else it might take out. (4) Little to no consideration of those around him. Look, you're in a public gym, open to all. You're lifting heavy things. You HAVE to assume the other person is not looking at what you're doing and be super careful. Most people will pay attention and I haven't see anyone be in danger, but all it takes is one assumption that the other person is paying attention, they really aren't, and for something to go wrong.
People like him should be FORCED to have a trainer...

Ok done with the minirant now :P

Tamishu's Ramblings

#25 2012-07-09 11:40:46

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Seems it is a day for ranting about inconsiderate people - I did it at work, the bus driver did it on the way home...

- Tad

Board footer