Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-20 13:28:01

Furor Teutonicus
Pilgrim

Greetings from Berlin.

Well, I tried to find somewhere to say "hello I am new here." But.... na ja.

Many years back I read volume one and half of volume two of "Otherland", before, due to lots of moving around (The army tends to do that to people), I just found no time.

Recently I found all four volumes in my local shop. YEEHAAA!.... Now, whilst the series is EXCELLENT, to read the entire thing in one go was, thinking about it, rather...... a heavy task.

Anyway, I am now through with them, and my enthusiasm at the first two....one and a half, was not disapointed.

My favourite part? The "house", where the entire world is one massive rambling "mansion". Had I the chance, like Orlando, I would WILLINGLY spend the rest of eternity just in that "world", exploring the various parts and reading everything the library had to offer.

All in all, as I said an EXCELLENT series of books.

I am now going to try out some of the other series from Tad Williams, although, this time, NOT all in one go! :=)

Last edited by Furor Teutonicus (2012-03-20 13:31:19)

#2 2012-03-21 13:42:20

ylvs
Mantis

Re: Greetings from Berlin.

Welcome to the boards Furor!

You can finds loads of stuff from Taddicts here although we tend to be rather quie these days. There is for example a reread of COGS not too far down. I personally hope that the boards become more lively  again in September when Dirty Steets Of Heaven hits the book shelves .
You might meet some of us in the Mint, the board's bar in the meantime. Have a drink of whatever you fancy and hang around.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#3 2012-03-21 17:51:17

strangeshe
Hierarch

Welcome, Furor!

#4 2012-03-22 07:36:03

Furor Teutonicus
Pilgrim

Thanks people.

"Quiet" appears to be a problem with a lot of web sites in this style.

I don't know if they have all migrated to Face book. But there seems to be a "fashion change".

Pitty. I always find this style of communicating more personal than the opposition. :-)

#5 2012-03-22 12:37:43

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome aboard, Furor!

It used to be busier when Tad had more time to hang around here. But a small group of us tend to keep this board alive, so other people can come by and drop in from time to time. But even for me time to hang around here is getting more scarce. Oh well, such is life. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#6 2012-03-22 13:11:04

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I think it started with facebook, but there are probably other reasons as well... such as life. ;-)
I know I used to post more, myself, but it's hard when there's no real conversation going.

Oh, and welcome from me, too!

I always find it a little weird when people like the House world - I think I'd go mad in that world. I'm just very much an outdoors person, and the thought of no gardens or forests is very disturbing for me!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#7 2012-03-22 14:21:24

Sahi
Mantis
Website

You'd probably be a Rooftopper then! *happily mixes up several of Tad's stories*

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#8 2012-03-22 15:18:09

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Hmm... I think I'd rather move to yet another of Tad's books and live in Aldheorte. (I recently realized a big part of why I read Fantasy is because of the forests. I want forests that go on for days and days and days of hiking... although I recently found out that the Kürnberg forest here is actually big enough to kind of get lost in... but only for hours, not for days, and there always are  paths.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#9 2012-03-23 05:09:25

Furor Teutonicus
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

I always find it a little weird when people like the House world - I think I'd go mad in that world. I'm just very much an outdoors person, and the thought of no gardens or forests is very disturbing for me!

Well, after being brought up on a reindeer farm near Gällivere in Swedens far North, followed by 30 odd years of outdoor jobs, from Militar police, civil police, and at sea in the North Atlantic and Polar sea, then living in Glencoe, Scotland for many years (in a caravan!), I tend to "value" indoor time a bit more these days. :-))

Board footer