Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Otherland
  •  » OTHERLAND, the movie? from Warner Brothers if this is true...

#1 2012-01-19 11:03:18

strangeshe
Hierarch

OTHERLAND, the movie? from Warner Brothers if this is true...

Just saw this today:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048854

Posted: Thu., Jan. 19, 2012, 4:00am PT
Warners, Lin off to 'Otherland'
Studio lands feature rights to Tad Williams' sci-fi tomes
By Dave McNary
Warner Bros. is heading to "Otherland," acquiring feature rights to Tad Williams' sci-fi book series and setting it up with Dan Lin to produce.

Studio has tapped John Scott III to script the film, based on the four books published by DAW-Penguin USA between 1996 and 2001 as "City of Golden Shadow," "River of Blue Fire," "Mountain of Black Glass" and "Sea of Silver Light."

Story for the adaptation is set 100 years in the future and follows a group of unexpected heroes who must escape an assassin and make their way through epic digital worlds to unravel a conspiracy that threatens to destroy humanity.

Seanne Winslow Wehrenfennig at Lin Pictures will serve as co-producer and oversee for Lin Pictures.

Lin's a producer on "Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows" and is in post-production on period drama "Gangster Squad," starring Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, and Sean Penn, directed by Ruben Fleischer. He's also producing "Lego: the Piece of Resistance," written and directed by Chris Miller and Phil Lord, with Warners planning a 2014 release.

Scott's zombie script "Maggie" made the top 10 of the 2011 Black List and was the top title of the 2011 Blood List, the top 13 most-liked unproduced screenplays in the horror, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy, and dark comedy/drama genres. "Maggie" is in pre-production with Henry Hobson directing, and Pierre-Ange Le Pogam, Matt Baer, and Trevor Kaufman producing.

Scott is also adapting Isaac Asivmov's "Caves of Steel" for Fox, also with Hobson attached to direct.

WME represents the "Otherland" book rights. Scott is repped by CAA and managed by Trevor Kaufman.

Contact Dave McNary at dave.mcnary@variety.com

Checking into it.... This would be SO COOL!!!

#2 2012-01-19 11:22:20

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: OTHERLAND, the movie? from Warner Brothers if this is true...

Well, it would be awesome if this were true, but one film for all four books would never gonna work. I`ll keep my fingers crossed though that this happens....

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2012-01-19 13:01:18

ylvs
Mantis

Tad just confirmed it on his FB wall. So let us all cross fingers, toes and everything and hope that this will come to pass ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#4 2012-01-19 13:26:12

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

*strokes evil goatee and refrains from bragging at all about how long he's known about this being in the works* :D

*fidgets*

Is it here yet?!

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#5 2012-01-19 14:02:13

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Did Tad give ANY more details on FB?

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#6 2012-01-19 22:39:18

ylvs
Mantis

Nope. If he did I would have told of course!

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#7 2012-01-19 23:57:52

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Ok. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#8 2012-01-20 06:29:51

ylvs
Mantis

Aan`allein wrote:

*strokes evil goatee and refrains from bragging at all about how long he's known about this being in the works* :D

*fidgets*

Is it here yet?!

Feel very important again, like in the theater in Göttingen when the lady ushered us to the first row seats ...

Scrollbearer

#9 2012-03-26 11:25:50

Zim28
Pilgrim
Website

Hopefully it doesn't get stuck in development hell.  A lot of IPs get optioned, but never progress all the way to the big screen.

I was "Dan" back on Shadowmarch.

#10 2012-03-27 10:57:13

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*waits patiently*

*fidgets*

*more fidgets*

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#11 2012-03-27 23:46:29

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I think non-Star Trek and non-Star Wars SF may see a revival in the next coming years. The success of The Hunger Games and the upcoming movies of Ender`s Game and Stephenie Meyer`s The Host in 2013 may send each and every studio in search of a new SF franchise. And OTHERLAND has it all and then some:-)

I am optimistic!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#12 2012-03-28 07:56:50

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

That would be great, because honestly, I have not been impressed with many recent movies, let alone SF ones. If Ender's Game is being made into a movie, that means I actually have to read the book now. And I've been debating about reading The Hunger Games first or watching the movie first.
I really enjoyed the novel The Host, so if they're making a movie, I'll be eager to see how it turns out...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#13 2012-03-30 09:26:57

ylvs
Mantis

Ad1tu, I just devoured the Hunger Games series within a week. It's been a long time since I was glued to a story like this. Sure, it has its flaws but it's great read. Haven't seen the film yet but recommend strongly: books now!

Scrollbearer

#14 2012-04-02 19:07:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

An Otherland film would be awesome. I can't imagine all 3,000 pages fitting into a slim, 50 page script, though. A lot would have to be jettisoned. No House, for example: that took up an entire book. Also, they'd have to fix the weird ending.

The only thing better than an Otherland film would be a trilogy of films based on Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#15 2012-04-03 00:12:01

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I don´t think they will try to put all of the OTHERLAND story into one film. Warner is looking for a new franchise and this may the one for them. One film per book would be doable I think, and even then you would have to leave out A LOT. Maybe two films for the final book. That seems to be the fashion in Hollywood right now.

I think MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN would work better on TV. Either as a mini-series or rather a series of mini-series (like Ken Follett´s Pillars of the Earth) or a regular show where each book is filmed as one season (10-12 episodes and TGAR maybe 16-18 episodes). However, I rather like the mini-series idea better because you would have 6-8  hours of television to tell the story of each book.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#16 2012-04-03 08:26:42

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Wait they made Pillars of the Earth into a mini series? ... Was it good? Cos I loved the book.

They would have to split Otherland up into multiple movies, it would not make sense if you stuffed 4 books in 2 or 3 hours :P A movie per each of the first 3 and 2 movies for the last would also be in "trend" (HP series and Twilight series) of books made into movies.
Although I have to say I've noticed a disappointing trend the past few-ish years in movies... They've gotten shorter! It seems like standard movie length was ~2 hrs, plus or minus a few minutes. Now I hear people complain that a 2 hr movie is long, and most of the ones coming out in theaters are 90-105 min. Do we just have shorter attention spans or something..?

Tamishu's Ramblings

#17 2012-04-03 10:44:27

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Yes, I thought the PILLARS mini-series was quite excellent. With a great cast.

http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv/

WORLD WITHOUT END , the quasi-sequel has gotten the mini-series treatment as well and will be on tv all over the world sometime this fall.

THE HUNGER GAMES movie, btw, is more than two hours long and the minutes just fly by.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#18 2012-06-23 11:08:43

A Fine Man's Haberdashery
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

I don´t think they will try to put all of the OTHERLAND story into one film. Warner is looking for a new franchise and this may the one for them. One film per book would be doable I think, and even then you would have to leave out A LOT. Maybe two films for the final book. That seems to be the fashion in Hollywood right now.

I think MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN would work better on TV. Either as a mini-series or rather a series of mini-series (like Ken Follett´s Pillars of the Earth) or a regular show where each book is filmed as one season (10-12 episodes and TGAR maybe 16-18 episodes). However, I rather like the mini-series idea better because you would have 6-8  hours of television to tell the story of each book.

I'd like to see a series of movies come to fruition, as well at the Otherland MMO. Dibs on the username Orlando!

#19 2012-10-31 01:01:40

Calliopebrook
Pilgrim

ylvs wrote:

Ad1tu, I just devoured the Hunger Games series within a week. It's been a long time since I was glued to a story like this. Sure, it has its flaws but it's great read. Haven't seen the film yet but recommend strongly: books now!

That would be great, because honestly, I have not been impressed with many recent movies, let alone SF ones. If Ender's Game is being made into a movie, that means I actually have to read the book now. And I've been debating about reading The Hunger Games first or watching the movie first.

#20 2013-01-04 23:13:22

Orlando+Sam4Ever
Pilgrim

I can't imagine why they wouldn't make it a franchise. The story is too big and rich to be only one film, and with the eerie visuals and amazing special effects sure to be in it, it will definitely sell. I've been waiting for a long time for someone to jump on this. There is so much potential for a film series.

#21 2015-11-27 03:38:52

Butterfly
Pilgrim

Zim28 wrote:

Hopefully it doesn't get stuck in development hell.  A lot of IPs get optioned, but never progress all the way to the big screen.

2nded. Any newer news about it yet?

#22 2015-11-27 03:41:22

ylvs
Mantis

Stuck in development hell it is as far as I know. They aimed to put the whole fricking story in one movie and obviously cannot manage (small surprise).

Scrollbearer

#23 2015-11-27 07:52:06

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I think the option has lapsed already.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

• Index
  •  » Otherland
  •  » OTHERLAND, the movie? from Warner Brothers if this is true...

Board footer