Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-07 10:21:31

Rook
Mantis
Website

NaNoWriMo 2011

Against my better judgment, I think I'll do NaNoWriMo 2011.  I've been getting the writing bug lately ... OK, the writing bug beyond just blogging all the time ... and I think I'll try my hand at fiction again.  Rattling around in my brain is some throwback to 1940's adventure tales with a slightly modern slant.  (I think all these 1:72 models of WWII aircraft hanging around my office are starting to seep into my imagination.)

"Little rag doll.  Such a pretty face should be dressed in lace." --- The Four Seasons

Webcomic Overlook (Reviews) | Rooktopia! (Personal) | Till All Are Fun (Transformers)

#2 2011-10-08 21:11:54

Rook
Mantis
Website

Re: NaNoWriMo 2011

Oh, I'd like to add that if you're doing NaNoWriMo, I'm registered at the site as "El Santo".

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/856381

Go ahead and add me as a writing buddy if you're on, too.

"Little rag doll.  Such a pretty face should be dressed in lace." --- The Four Seasons

Webcomic Overlook (Reviews) | Rooktopia! (Personal) | Till All Are Fun (Transformers)

#3 2011-10-09 00:56:58

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yup, I'm definitely doing Nano again this year. It will be my ninth.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2011-10-09 03:38:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Me too - I'm actually off to our first "planning" meeting in a bit (not that we'll do too much planning - mostly just eat and joke and play games, catch up after not having seen each other for a couple of months.

#5 2011-10-14 14:42:49

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

I know it will probably sound crazy... but trying again this year as well...... maybe finally I'll be able to finish it properly!

Scrollbearer

"If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you will spend you life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is, to go on doing things you don't like doing... which is stupid."
~ Alan Watts

#6 2011-10-28 10:52:38

Rook
Mantis
Website

Gonna go to the local NaNoWriMo kickoff meeting this weekend.  I have already shameless started, since I know if I followed the regular NaNoWriMo guidelines I would never finish.  Kickstarted myself two weeks ago and I think I'm up to 20K words.  I will only claim victory if I cover the spread and get 70K. Anyway, since my goal out of this was to just sit down and write rather than finishing things on November 30, don't think I'm cheating too badly. :0

Thus far it seems like I have crafted a nautical tale with local Native American legends (specifically that of Kumugwe, Lord of the Undersea) weaved in.  There's also some nutty stuff about pulp magazines and bikini barristas.  If this were a regular book, I probably would have weeded those elements out already, but darn it, too far in.

#7 2011-10-28 15:39:32

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'll have an interesting couple of days - a prep meeting in my town (which I'm kind of organizing) tomorrow, frantic cleaning and last-minute preparation on Sunday. Monday will probably (hopefully) be a hellishly busy day at work (hopefully because it's the last day of the autumn season, and we still have a lot left to sell), then when I get home, I need to shower, eat dinner, put away laundry, pack up and head off to Vienna for the midnight kick-off. Get home on Tuesday morning, hopefully sleep a few hours (Tuesday is a holiday, which is why we can write all night) and then a kick-off/write-in here in my town - probably in my home, too, so I need to do a bit of cleaning on Sunday as well.
And on Wednesday, back to work. Not looking forwards to that at all.

It'll be an interesting NaNo anyway - first year living on my own, first year working during November. I'll have to make sure to wear gloves at work, and not to do any other stupid stuff to hurt my fingers (right now, my thumb is still sore from three hours of de-seeding rosehips on Wednesday. Typing is fine, but handwriting is a bit of a problem.)

And I don't really feel prepared. I've just barely managed to put together my timeline, but I've got almost no other notes, I've done no research... oh well. I'll manage, one way or another. At least I've got ten meals in the freezer (and hopefully, a couple more by the end of the weekend), a ridiculous amount of food stockpiled so I don't have to waste precious writing time on shopping, and two characters I like, and am excited to write about - and I can't wait to start!

#8 2011-10-28 15:49:10

Rook
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

And I don't really feel prepared. I've just barely managed to put together my timeline, but I've got almost no other notes, I've done no research... oh well. I'll manage, one way or another.

I wouldn't feel too bad.  I only pulled the "Native American legends" bit just last week while browsing through Frommer's Guide to Vancouver and Victoria.  And somehow it's now the central aspect to my entire story now.

#9 2011-10-28 16:10:30

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'm not too worried - I've written about that world for a long, long time, so I'm pretty familiar with it. There are only a couple of small things I need to read up on, which I could of course be doing now, but I'm too tired.

#10 2011-10-29 00:00:27

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Not doing it officially, but going to get some words down for my second novel, which is roughly outlined.

My 1st is out with Beta Readers, and will be officially cast at the end of November for a full cast audiobook production. I have a lot of talented people involved already. I estimate 2 years production time. Yes, I'm crazy.

Last edited by Wolfshade (2011-10-29 01:45:15)

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#11 2011-10-30 09:25:44

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm just printing out the story I wrote two years ago, as I'm going to write a sequal for it. So I have today and tomorrow to read the previous 90k I wrote.

Since I'm having a crazy busy month this year, I'm not aiming for 90k again. Or rather, I am but not all in this month. I'll just keep on writing in December I guess.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#12 2011-10-30 11:59:31

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Good luck, Sahi!

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

#13 2011-10-30 17:10:43

Rook
Mantis
Website

Got back from the NaNo kick off meet.  Quite fun, it was.  Got to meet some interesting folks.  I ended up at the "big kids" table, where the stories tended toward more real-world than fantasy (making my own plot feel like quite the fool).  There was an exercise where you were supposed to draw your inner editor, then the cards get passed around and the person who gets it does something to molest it.

So of course I drew a box of fresh donuts but mentioned that they were high in cholesterol.  Because that's how I roll.

#14 2011-10-30 23:57:56

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I finished my preparatory cleaning-and-cooking, and a cake to bring along tonight - witching write-in in Vienna, writing from midnight to some time in the morning! We'll definitely run out of tables tonight, but at least we have lots of chairs.

Still didn't do any research, but oh well. I'll either have to look it up when I need it, or just make it up. It's not the real world, after all.

#15 2011-11-02 10:06:59

Rook
Mantis
Website

Hmmm...  Stuck in a sort of writer's block.  I'm trying to figure out how to get my characters from a beach (where three of them are engaged in a brutal fight) to a mystical undersea world of wonder.  I've been tying to avoid obvious deus ex machinas, but it looks like I'm going have some magic them away or something.

#16 2011-11-02 11:31:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Heh. I had a person escape a castle "through a conveniently situated plot hole" in my first NaNo. You can always go back and come up with something better - in December.

#17 2011-11-02 11:36:48

Rook
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

Heh. I had a person escape a castle "through a conveniently situated plot hole" in my first NaNo. You can always go back and come up with something better - in December.

Hmm.  Maybe I can have someone drive up in a van, open the door, and say, "Hey, guys, want to join me in a trip to a magical kingdom?"

No wait.  That's creepy.

CREEEEEPPPYY!!!

#18 2011-11-02 17:02:06

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Rook wrote:

Hmmm...  Stuck in a sort of writer's block.  I'm trying to figure out how to get my characters from a beach (where three of them are engaged in a brutal fight) to a mystical undersea world of wonder.  I've been tying to avoid obvious deus ex machinas, but it looks like I'm going have some magic them away or something.

I say skip ahead. There's no rule to write it in perfect order! Once you know your underwater wonderland better, it might be obvious what kinds of ways might be available to get there.

#19 2011-11-02 22:33:50

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Have them fight in the sea, push the one who has to go there under water. And then have him sucked away to there by some freak current.

Scrollbearer

#20 2011-11-03 01:17:30

Rook
Mantis
Website

Thanks for the suggestions!  I decided to go with a vague teleportation that I haven't defined yet, but takes advantage of the fact that the human body is 86% water.  I'm leaving the particulars vague, and the character who does it implies that the process is better left unknown (cop out!).

#21 2011-11-03 14:57:57

Magpie
Mantis
Website

10 K! Earned my first bar of chocolate! (Which I'm not really looking forwards to that much, because I've got a sore throat, thanks to two days working outside in pretty cold weather.)
And the story is coming together nicely as well. It's pretty interesting - there are these two characters that I didn't want to have in there at all, but now they're the ones that are sort of holding the story together,
providing connections between the different strands.
And that one character I was pretty afraid of writing is actually sort of fun. He's such a wonderful jerk. Not an actual "bad guy" in that he isn't an antagonist (there's no real antagonist, anyway), and he turns out sort of decent in the end, but definitely not a good guy either.

#22 2011-11-03 17:51:46

Rook
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

And that one character I was pretty afraid of writing is actually sort of fun. He's such a wonderful jerk. Not an actual "bad guy" in that he isn't an antagonist (there's no real antagonist, anyway), and he turns out sort of decent in the end, but definitely not a good guy either.

Same thing happened to me, too.  The "jerk" character is the one who's more fun to write, while the ostensible hero is a bit of a drag.

#23 2011-11-04 11:00:43

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Still having fun with Julius. Getting to know his family... well, no wonder the boy turned out such a jerk!

#24 2011-11-04 16:59:18

Rook
Mantis
Website

You know what has been really inspiring?  Reading H.P. Lovecraft and Herman Melville.  Melville especially.  I mean, there are three chapters of nothing about Ishmael wandering around town.  Every building he sees or steps in he describes in long, elaborate detail.  He talks for five paragraphs or so about why he wants to be a sailor, basically elaborating on a list of bulletpoints.

Basically, Melville would've aced NaNoWriMo.

#25 2011-11-04 17:15:23

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

I has been writing.... of course I've only started today in a haze from jetlag... but i purchased a little green celtic notebook, and it's magical in that it leers me into it..... five pages into my weird story, no where near any definite marks yet, but I'm writing... and that's good after three years of utter nothingness..... this might become the weirdes, most plotless story I've ever written, but I really really do not care..... Getting my account changed now.... hopefully they'll still let me in...

Scrollbearer

"If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you will spend you life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is, to go on doing things you don't like doing... which is stupid."
~ Alan Watts

Board footer