Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-21 13:00:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Sahi's Greenhouse

Welcome to this newly dusted off version of the greenhouse. The last edition was talking about a smarch gathering. This one will go a step further and dream of a small festival of friends with music and crafts and homemade food. Possibly even in an actual greenhouse or something. Many people attending will most likely not be smarchers, but they'll be like smarchers in that they would love to celebrate life with us in all it's weird varieties.

So plop down in the grass under the great tree. Or splash in the puddles behind the greenhouse. Frolic with the sheep, or discuss books with Kulgan near the desk. But most importantly, why don't you share ideas and dreams about the perfect little festival with me.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2011-08-22 12:02:29

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: Sahi's Greenhouse

So here's what I'm dreaming of: A meadow with a greenhouse beside it, so we have somewhere to shelter if the sun doesn't shine.

People bringing picknick blankets possibly even with their own homemade craftsy stuff, like magpie can bring her socks so people can free them. Or cookies, or crotcheted things, or felties or whatever else. Stuff they can barter or sell or even plain give away, whatever they feel like. Nothing truly commercial, I wouldn't be inviting people just to sell stuff. It would be a gathering of friends.

People bringing their instruments to make music of any kind together. A stereo set in the background to provide music if nobody else does. A dance floor where people can dance if they feel like it, maybe even teach each other. Maybe even hiring a band to perform for us.

People wearing whatever clothes they like, showing off their lateste creations or purchases. Be they jeans, kimonos or dragon scales.

People juggling or otherwise performing. Not necessarily being any good at it. I love playing with juggling balls, but I invariably drop one after no more than four throws.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#3 2011-08-22 12:35:32

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sounds great to me! I'll bring the veggies!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#4 2011-08-22 12:53:30

ylvs
Mantis

I'll bring my piano and annoy everybody with my hunmble attemps of playing it (I started three month ago). And I'll brng my teacher who plays wonderfully and is very funny as well (comedian and pianoplayer by profession). You all will love him and forgive my playing for bringing him !

#5 2011-08-22 13:21:35

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Oh booh, I just found out that the band I was talking about at Castlefest broke up. Announced it just during that very weekend, apparently. But I can bring my best friend and we can sing "Frauen ohne Bärte" together. We may not be good singers, but I hope we're good enough for silly songs.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#6 2011-08-22 13:30:40

Sahi
Mantis
Website

This fair will be all about having fun with friends. So I'm absolutely positive you'll be good enough!

Scrollbearer

#7 2011-08-23 12:15:31

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'd probably arrange for a corner with a mass of crayons, markers, pencils and paper too. Or maybe even paint.

Scrollbearer

#8 2011-08-24 13:21:26

Magpie
Mantis
Website

For some reason, that reminded me of the fun we had at our huge new year's parties playing with my brothers' Kapla, and I was like, "I'll bring the Kapla!" Then I remembered that no, I will not be driving that far, and no, I will not take three boxes of Kapla on the train! But it makes me feel like getting those boxes from my mother's cellar and build something with them... haven't done that in years (not since we moved out of the house, I think, because much of the fun is lost when you can't knock your constructions over without bothering the neighbours).

- Tad

#9 2011-08-24 22:56:59

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Still, it's a great idea. And who knows? I might have friends closer by with access to that game. It would be great to have it. And if not, we can always do Lego instead. (Not that I'd have anywhere near enough Lego... But we could make it part of the entrance fee, a couple of bricks...)

Scrollbearer

#10 2011-08-24 23:22:47

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I like that! And Legos aren't that heavy, either.

- Tad

#11 2011-08-25 11:49:42

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*imagines a big vat with a sign saying* Donate your legos here! P.S. While you're here feel free to build something too!

Scrollbearer

#12 2011-09-02 09:48:58

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Just bought myself a porcupine warrior a couple of days ago. I just couldn't leave it there in the toy store when I saw it. We were also very tempted to buy a Lego lighthouse. If Ivo doesn't come up with a present I can buy for his birthday next year, I might just buy that for him. And of course they also had those big boxes with lego bricks... I might just ask one of those for my birthday next year. In preparation for the day when (a big) SAGE will stop being a dream. :)

I'm still planning to try and figure out if some farmers rent out their green houses...

Scrollbearer

#13 2011-09-02 12:01:39

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I was thinking yesterday, if I do make it to dance practise more regularly now, I could even have some dances to teach (would have to ask our dance master for a CD with the music for them, of course).

I'm so tempted to go over to my mother's and get either all the Kapla or the Lego and build something again. But my time is taken up with "grown-up" stuff like making applesauce.

- Tad

#14 2011-09-03 02:33:40

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Making apple sauce is not something I would consider as grown-up stuff. *grins* Apple sauce is definitely part of fun stuff!

But yes, we'd definitely have dance instructions. And the more different kinds of dances, the better! And if you could have the sheet music belonging to the dance music, we could even have live music during the dance instructions...

Scrollbearer

#15 2011-09-03 02:46:10

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Should be possible to get sheet music, too - there are some musicians in the group, and we actually had live music this week.

- Tad

#16 2011-09-11 11:59:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

And I'm thinking of making name tags for everyone. I'm still torn between making buttons, and having everyone create their own name tag with markers. I did the latter at a convention for work a few months ago. You only had three minutes to do it, and you had to write two other things on it as well: one thing that you hated and one thing that you loved. Then you had to introduce yourself to three other people explaining what you had written down and why. Each introduction was only allowed to take half a minute. Crazy and chaotic but fun. And especially fun was gazing at other people's nametags throughout the day to see what they had written down. Some people had used things from their work, but others had taken hobbies.

Scrollbearer

#17 2011-09-17 00:04:45

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Anybody any ideas on the name tag issue?

Scrollbearer

#18 2011-09-18 04:55:18

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Personally, I don't care about name tags either way. I guess I should, since I never remember names, but I don't.
One thing I do care about, however, are introduction games of all kinds - I really don't like those. I think they still remind me of school too much, and having so many names thrown at me all at once means I'll remember even less of them.

- Tad

#19 2011-09-18 06:16:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Despite the plethora of name games I know, I don't think we'll be doing any of them. Especially since I'll be knowing most persons personally already. ;)

But I love name tags at conferences, especially if they are done well and you can actually read the names on them. And I really love my name buttons that I make for Nanowrimo every year. They're the reason I bought a button machine.

You know what would also be cool to have? A camp fire. I don't know how to combine that with my dream of having the event in an actual greenhouse though.

Scrollbearer

#20 2011-09-18 06:52:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Campfires are definitely cool. One of my favourite things - at the friend's birthday parties I mentioned, that's always where I'm to be found.

- Tad

#21 2011-09-18 07:28:52

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Campfires are awesome to get people to make music together without it feeling like a performance. :)

Scrollbearer

#22 2011-09-20 23:38:56

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ivo came up with the idea of renting a camping farm (don't know the proper word, but it's a big farm house you can hire to camp in) or a Scouting clubhouse. They usually have a generous outside area that you can have campfires and stuff in, and they're big enough to house everybody in case of rain.

Scrollbearer

#23 2011-12-11 01:49:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Recently I heard that some people thought this was just a mind game. Well that's what it is right now. But I AM planning to make this real one day. And maybe not all the wild ideas will come through, but this is an actual exercise of gathering information to make a cool event. And all Smarchers will be invited.

Scrollbearer

#24 2011-12-27 07:19:55

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Talked to my brother about going to Castlefest and then discusses organizing our own event again. The more I think about it, the more I want it...

Scrollbearer

#25 2012-01-01 11:10:51

Sahi
Mantis
Website

So what kind of date should I be thinking of if I want to do this thing?

Scrollbearer

Board footer