Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » e-Books
  •  » Tad's books in the Kindle Store (US)

#1 2011-08-15 15:01:53

strangeshe
Hierarch

Tad's books in the Kindle Store (US)

Amazon lists all of Tad's books currently available for Kindle here.

A few extra not-Tad books are also listed. (Have no idea why.)

Due to a mistake at the publisher (DAW), the only volumes currently available in the OTHERLAND series are books 3 (MOUNTAIN OF BLACK GLASS) and 4 (SEA OF SILVER LIGHT).  When Tad and Deb inquired about it, they received an apologetic response that essentially said "we don't know why or how that happened" but that they were working to get books 1 and 2 available on Kindle asap. So hopefully they'll be available soon.

The most recent addition to the Kindle catalog is CALIBAN'S HOUR, which Tad and Deborah self-published for Kindle.  The e-book also contains a new introduction from Tad.

The next book for Kindle should be THE SECRETS OF ORDINARY FARM -- the second book in the series, which Tad and Deb are publishing straight to Kindle in the US.  I thought it was supposed to be available today, but I do not see it on the Kindle store page yet  -- so keep checking back, it will be available very soon.  (THE SECRETS OF ORDINARY FARM will be released as traditional printed books in the UK and Germany very soon; but that's a different topic.)

Also coming soon to the Kindle, a brand-new collection of Tad's short stories titled A STARK AND WORMY KNIGHT.  Will let you know as soon as it's available.

#2 2012-01-03 19:54:03

perlDreamer
Pilgrim

Re: Tad's books in the Kindle Store (US)

All the announcements seem to be about the Kindle.  Are the ebooks also available for the Nook?

#3 2012-01-27 03:31:58

brocklaser
Pilgrim

How about the UK Kindle store? Any news on when Otherland will be available there?

#4 2012-01-27 08:46:56

strangeshe
Hierarch

perlDreamer wrote:

All the announcements seem to be about the Kindle.  Are the ebooks also available for the Nook?

Sorry I missed this earlier! Yes, the same books available for Kindle in the US are available for the Nook -- with one exception: Tad's latest collection of short fiction titled A STARK AND WORMY KNIGHT which is currently only available for Kindle, but will be published in paper early summer 2012 (June, I think).

ETA: Here is a link to the Tad Williams books available for Nook:

TAILCHASER'S SONG
MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN series
CALIBAN'S HOUR
OTHERLAND series
SHADOWMARCH series
ORDINARY FARM series

All available on Nook (and Kindle).

The only Tad book that's not yet in e-format in US is THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS, but I understand that to be coming ASAP. (And haven't heard anything yet about A CHILD OF AN ANCIENT CITY in any format.)

#5 2012-01-27 08:48:30

strangeshe
Hierarch

brocklaser wrote:

How about the UK Kindle store? Any news on when Otherland will be available there?

I haven't heard anything recently, but I know Tad and Deborah are working hard with their publishers to get all the editions released in e-formats everywhere.

I'll see if I can find out more & will update...

ETA:
Looks like (for now, anyway), the only books available for Kindle on amazon.co.uk are:
SHADOWHEART
CALIBAN'S HOUR
A STARK AND WORMY KNIGHT

Also available for Kindle, German editions of:
MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN (complete)
ORDINARY FARM (1 & 2)

Will update status when I have more info...

#6 2012-01-27 08:56:42

brocklaser
Pilgrim

Cool any info would be good.

Have done a few searches myself but was unable to find anything.

#7 2012-01-27 09:12:02

strangeshe
Hierarch

For Tad's backlist, the conversion to e-format is pretty much in the hands of the publishers right now, as I understand it.

He and Deborah will have some more control over newer books. But for now, the publishers are where the log-jam is.

#8 2012-01-27 23:58:21

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I am especially looking forward to THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS in e-book format!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#9 2012-01-28 14:46:47

ylvs
Mantis

Olaf wrote:

Me, too. And with the dictionary  in the kindle (my very favourite feature. I dream of "tap on the word and see the definiton" ever since I read English books - neber believed I would live to acutally have it!) I might finally learn all the flowers I never cared to check.

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#10 2012-01-28 14:55:06

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Olaf wrote:

Me, too. And with the dictionary  in the kindle (my very favourite feature. I dream of "tap on the word and see the definiton" ever since I read English books - neber believed I would live to acutally have it!) I might finally learn all the flowers I never cared to check.

Hehe, I knew most of them before I even read the book. It was so funny, I first read WotF during my brief time at university, and there were a couple of times when I sat in my botany lecture and suddenly realized, "oh, that's what it is!" (I remember hellebore, because the botanic name is Helleborus, and thornapple, because the German name is similar, but there might have been more.)

...not that this has anything to do with e-books...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#11 2012-05-22 12:12:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

So I realize everyone's definition of ASAP is different, and that publishers have varied priorities, but does anyone have any updated info about THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS for Kindle? I was updating my wish list and was said that I couldn't find it.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#12 2012-05-23 07:01:19

strangeshe
Hierarch

Ad1tu wrote:

So I realize everyone's definition of ASAP is different, and that publishers have varied priorities, but does anyone have any updated info about THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS for Kindle? I was updating my wish list and was said that I couldn't find it.

After I posted the list of ebooks, Deb replied to Ylvs's inquiry on FB about WOTF thusly:

Ylva, the rights for WOFTF are the most complicated. I don't know at this stage. Watch this space! and thanks!

That's as much as I know.

#13 2012-09-14 20:27:34

Alante
Pilgrim

Hi, I,m new here and live in New Zealand. I have been trying without success to buy "To Green Angel Tower..Storm" the kindle version. Amazon and Diesel have it but I am not allowed to buy it in New Zealand! Is it likely to ever be available here? I have bought many books from the US using Kobo & Amazon so this seems so strange. Anyway you all have a nice day!!!!!

#14 2012-09-15 15:40:13

footle
Pilgrim
Website

Alante wrote:

Hi, I,m new here and live in New Zealand. I have been trying without success to buy "To Green Angel Tower..Storm" the kindle version. Amazon and Diesel have it but I am not allowed to buy it in New Zealand! Is it likely to ever be available here? I have bought many books from the US using Kobo & Amazon so this seems so strange. Anyway you all have a nice day!!!!!

Hi Alante!

I'm still hoping for the third book of the Shadowmarch quartet to become available in ebook format in the UK - I could buy book four; and I've just bought the first Bobby Dollar book (presumably the advantage of signing publishing contracts after the revolution); but I've actually run out of space for books in my flat over the last decade - there's no more room for double-stacking.
If it ever does, I'll have to go back and reread, although lots of the end of book two theories now spring to mind while I think about it.

(Also, something appeals to me about going from a web serial, to a trade paperback, to a hardback, to ebooks - mimicing the changes in my reading patterns since 2001).

"The classic Mail headline which begins 'Is this the Most Evil/Depraved/Shocking...?' can almost always be answered 'actually, no'." - Andrew Marr

#15 2012-11-05 05:13:18

rivenrock
Pilgrim

Alante wrote:

I can't get it for Kindle in Australia, either. Which really sucks, because I don't want a hardcover edition, so now I have to wait 8 more months for the paperback. Why restrict the Kindle edition? It's how some people buy their books now. So annoying. Sword and Laser Book Club vlog have chosen it as their reading pick for November and now I can't join in unless I buy a hardcover. Which isn't happening, especially if I'm only doing it because I got shafted on the Kindle edition. :(

#16 2013-01-04 22:24:32

thenmethinks
Pilgrim

I absolutely adore Tad's Otherland series, have all four volumes in hardback but now wish to own them on Kindle. However, like other fans who dwell in the antipodes, I am not able to download the series to my Kindle - nor to any other e-book device. I am told "these e-books are not available to customers in Australia". I have tried elsewhere but I cannot access the novels from either the US or the UK Amazon stores, or Kobo or other e-book stores.

Can anyone tell me why this is and is it likely to be rectified in the near future? Surely, publishers want to sell their author's work, be it on whichever medium the buyers wish to purchase it?

• Index
  •  » e-Books
  •  » Tad's books in the Kindle Store (US)

Board footer