Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-20 12:56:02

Percephene
Pilgrim

A loose end [Spoilerific!]

Shadowheart spoilers!!!

Shadowheart spoilers!!!

Shadowheart spoilers!!!

Shadowheart spoilers!!!

Shadowheart spoilers!!!

Ok so I know I complained about the ending of Shadowheart being too neatly tied up but one loose end really niggles away at me. Did anyone else expect the Syannese Kallikans to come save the day right at the eleventh hour? What happened with the drum message Briony sent back to the SM Funderlings? I don't recall any mention that it was received. Did Vansen reveal it was him who dictated the msg the Funderlings sent to the Kallikans while Briony was in Tessis? It just seemed that this was going to be an important element and then went nowhere... I was totally expecting the Kallikans to rock up at the last minute to honour their kinship with the Funderlings (especially as the Funderlings recognize the drows as their cousins which is a much more ancient relationship!)

Or am I just being picky?

#2 2010-12-20 13:33:58

Queenling
Pilgrim

Re: A loose end [Spoilerific!]

You know, I can't agree with you more on this point! I thought and expected exactly the same thing, and I can't recall the message being received either. I kept expecting someone to tell Vansen about the reply, but about half-through Shadowheart I accepted that the message somehow must have been lost (truth be told I wondered if Tad somehow had forgotten all about that part...). Still I actually hoped they would come, both because it seemed as the only right thing for them to do and because it had been pretty cool with an army of Kallikans marching to their aid.

#3 2010-12-20 13:42:16

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Now that you mention it... I also wonder what happened to that message. It does appear to be a mistake. Why place such importance on it and then never mention it again?

Did anyone else happen to notice a passage which clarified what happened to the message?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#4 2010-12-20 17:20:40

Percephene
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Why place such importance on it and then never mention it again?
?

Exactly! "One must not put a loaded rifle on the stage if no one is thinking of firing it." Chekhov
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this!

Last edited by Percephene (2010-12-20 17:21:10)

#5 2010-12-21 03:56:52

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Percephene wrote:

What happened with the drum message Briony sent back to the SM Funderlings? I don't recall any mention that it was received.

If I recall Shadowrise correctly, this is because it never was received. The Qar invasion meant all the Funderlings left the drum, basically thinking it had been an attempt which never had much chance of success anyway.
I kinda like that, in a way. Showing that there's all these individual attempts underway to build up a defense, some of which don't work, while other chance events do have results. And it still had the purpose of giving Briony a reason to make haste returning to Southmarch.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#6 2010-12-21 12:15:39

Queenling
Pilgrim

Aan`allein wrote:

If I recall Shadowrise correctly, this is because it never was received. The Qar invasion meant all the Funderlings left the drum, basically thinking it had been an attempt which never had much chance of success anyway.
I kinda like that, in a way. Showing that there's all these individual attempts underway to build up a defense, some of which don't work, while other chance events do have results. And it still had the purpose of giving Briony a reason to make haste returning to Southmarch.

But I thought someone stayed in case they would get a reply? Of course I might have misunderstood or just remember it incorrectly. Hmm. But yes you're right about that it shows that all attempts don't always work... still I would very much have enjoyed it if they had come ;) But oh well.

#7 2010-12-21 14:02:37

Percephene
Pilgrim

Queenling wrote:

Aan`allein wrote:

But I thought someone stayed in case they would get a reply? Of course I might have misunderstood or just remember it incorrectly. Hmm. But yes you're right about that it shows that all attempts don't always work... still I would very much have enjoyed it if they had come ;) But oh well.

Yeah I thought someone stayed behind too. I guess I like that too, its more realistic than everything having a meaning, in real life we try things and they don't always work out. I just fully expected them to come in at the last minute. I would have enjoyed it too Queenling! Like a vast crescendo of trumpets, it would have been epic! I think I'd almost have cried a little bit with pride!

#8 2011-01-17 09:24:14

cmasters60
Pilgrim

I wondered about that, too. I also need clarification on the mysterious traveler who paid that guide to take him to Southmarch. I assume that was Gaillon Tolley? That was never clarified for me, but I can be a bit dense at times.

#9 2011-01-19 13:38:40

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Definitely Gailon.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#10 2011-01-21 04:59:44

dcforu
Pilgrim

“Omphalos,” the demigoddess said faintly. “Look for the omphalos, that which connects the past to
the womb and the womb to the future—that which is the center of the spinning universe.”
Never understood Lisiya words... anyone has any explanation??

#11 2011-01-23 22:33:17

shorty
Pilgrim

Hi, just finished shadowheart, this is the first time i've posted.

I also didn't understand what Lisiya was talking about.

However, there was something I wanted to know, was it ever mentioned what King Olin was referring to in the missing page of the letter he wrote in Shadowmarch? The page that the rooftoppers brought to Merolanna, the one that stated if anything was to happen to him, to look in a certain drawer in his library or something...? Just wanted to know if we found out what he was referring to, I might have over looked it.

#12 2011-02-12 17:01:48

Bahn
Pilgrim

Aan`allein wrote:

Percephene wrote:

What happened with the drum message Briony sent back to the SM Funderlings? I don't recall any mention that it was received.

Highwarden Dolomite was in Syan with Briony when they received the message, they replied with a rather confusing message and then there was no answer. Dolomite was in Southmarch helping fight the Autarch, so they indeed sent help. Nothing dramatic about it though.

dcforu wrote:

“Omphalos,” the demigoddess said faintly. “Look for the omphalos, that which connects the past to the womb and the womb to the future—that which is the center of the spinning universe.”
Never understood Lisiya words... anyone has any explanation??

I thought this was regarding the God Stone. But it could also mean the Shining Man. It was the death and birthplace of Crooked in a way. Definitely up for debate on this on :)

#13 2011-03-01 23:30:05

kklasser
Pilgrim

That's very good. That one didn't occur to me, and it never came back up, and it did intrigue me at the time. Another loose end I wondered about though: what became of Pigeon? There should have been a few paragraphs in the epilude along with the Raemon Beck tie-off.

#14 2011-03-29 22:26:54

fantastik
Pilgrim

can someone please shed some light on what happened to pigeon? I usually tend to get too engrossed in books and pigeon's story tortured me no end and I'll think about it till i get a concrete answer. and i have exams so that's not a good idea. so please tell me your answeres. It'll be your good deed of the day

#15 2012-09-12 12:41:51

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

fantastik wrote:

can someone please shed some light on what happened to pigeon? I usually tend to get too engrossed in books and pigeon's story tortured me no end and I'll think about it till i get a concrete answer. and i have exams so that's not a good idea. so please tell me your answeres. It'll be your good deed of the day

Qinnitan made Daikonas Vo let him go in exchange for her cooperation.

-

On the original topic, I was also expecting the Kallikans to come to the rescue. I'm pretty certain Tad simply forgot about them. I mean, who can blame him? The intricacies and details of the story are massive!

-

An omphalos is a sacred stone, so it would have to be the god stone. What the rest of Lysia's words mean I can only guess. Use the god stone to find the truth of the past and set the course of the future, or some such.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

Board footer