Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-07 15:54:02

dwilson21267
Pilgrim

ShadowPlay on Kindle?

This may have been covered already if so I am sorry. I did search for some considerable time before posting.

Volumes I, III and IV are available on Kindle but Volume II is not available on Kindle in the US but is available on the nook. Is it ever going to be released for Kindle? Seems really odd to have 3 of a 4 book series available but one not.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

#2 2010-12-21 09:46:24

DenverRalphy
Pilgrim

Re: ShadowPlay on Kindle?

I registered to this forum to ask this very question.

I found that Amazon does indeed have a Kindle version of Shadowplay, but it's listed as not available to me because I live in the United States. Why is volume 2 the only version not available in the US?

Right after finishing Shadowmarch, I did a google search for "tad williams shadowplay for kindle" and it was the third or fourth link. I found it odd, so I thought I'd ask here if it is intentional. I noticed that Volume 2 is a Penguin book, but I thought Amazon's issues with Penguin books has been resolved for quite some time now.

#3 2010-12-29 07:03:06

Lurkily
Pilgrim

I registered on this forum, also, specifically to reply to this message.  I LOVED the shadowmarch series, bought three books, but dropped it due to the long waits between books.  Now that it's complete, now that I have a kindle, I was going to buy all four books again, for the kindle.  And I didn't, because I could not find the entire series.

Why is book two not available to the US, due to copyright restrictions?  I can buy it off the shelf or for the nook, or in other ebook formats, but not the kindle?

To me the ability to redownload deleted books to re-read is a must; I don't want to have to store the book, cluttering my book list or a file folder, or have to buy the book again, when I re-read it.  This kind of thing, sad to say, is a dealbreaker for me.  I loved these books, but the Kindle has changed the way I read books.  Please, somebody, address this issue.

#4 2011-05-23 14:08:06

ON
Pilgrim

I would also love to get all four on kindle. I'm in the UK and can only get the latest book - I can't justify buying all of the paper copies with one on kindle.

It doesn't even have to be through Amazon - if there is a book shop site somewhere that has them in mobi or kindle format could someone post please?

thanks!

#5 2011-05-23 19:41:31

strangeshe
Hierarch

Sorry I missed this topic earlier, but here are the links I have for Kindle editions (US):

SHADOWMARCH

SHADOWPLAY

SHADOWRISE

SHADOWHEART

And for the Nook:

SHADOWMARCH

SHADOWPLAY

SHADOWRISE

SHADOWHEART

And Sony ePubs:

SHADOWMARCH

SHADOWPLAY

SHADOWRISE

SHADOWHEART

Also, all are available in ePub & Adobe formats from Penguin

SHADOWMARCH

SHADOWPLAY

SHADOWRISE

SHADOWHEART

I'm not sure about UK availability (or elsewhere) but I will check into that.

(Let me know if any of the links are broken -- it would be typo on my part; I just checked each of them as I was posting this)

#6 2011-05-23 20:00:07

strangeshe
Hierarch

okay, not sure why, but amazon.co.uk does not seem to have the 1st three on Kindle, but they do have SHADOWHEART.  I have no idea why that would be.... hm.

And, oddly, amazon.co.uk doesn't have /any/ of the other Kindle editions -- just SHADOWHEART. (My guess at this point is that they are still to come.)

Amazon US has most of Tad's books on Kindle, here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? … =0&y=0

I was pleasantly surprised to see OTHERLAND 3 and 4 now available -- neither of those were available when I checked e-book editions in March.  I'm sure that OTHERLAND 1 and 2 will be available soon.

All of MST is available, and so is TAILCHASER'S SONG.  But no WAR OF THE FLOWERS or CALIBAN'S HOUR yet.

Also available is DRAGONS OF ORDINARY FARM by Tad and his wife Deborah Beale.

At amazon.ca in Canada, it appears that only paper and audio formats are available for any of Tad's books:
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u … =0&y=0

#7 2011-05-23 20:17:16

strangeshe
Hierarch

Aaanndd.... here's an interesting discussion concerning the Nook and international availability:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/ … d-p/551313

seems to be an issue both with the tech and with the licensing. (I know very little about how all this stuff works, actually.)

Kindle editions are only available through amazon, as far as I know.  And Nook editions only through Barnes & Noble in US and Canada.

As for Sony (and ePub formats), they, too, are only available in US and Canada
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/ … D%3D/sno/0

and there is Sony UK
(http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/ … D%3D/sno/0) but a quick search for "Tad Williams" did not get any hits.

That's all I got.

#8 2011-08-13 16:38:18

footle
Pilgrim
Website

Still unable to buy shadowrise on kindle in the UK, six months after the release of shadowheart. :-(

It does seem like publishers are trying to shoot themselves in both feet with a loaded shotgun: the majority of chain bookshops here have run into severe difficulty in the last few years and closed; the independent bookshops are fewer and further between than they've ever been; and I'm sure that if I tried I'd find an adequate ebook version of any of Tad's works online in minutes.

(I could probably also temporarily switch my kindle's region if I felt that way inclined - which further demonstrates the madness).

Deliberately putting hurdles in the way of people who *want* to pay you, particularly for a product that's available elsewhere in the world and almost* easier to steal than buy, seems a weird business model.

Ho hum. I'll check again in six months.

* read "actually easier to steal than buy, if you live in the UK"

"The classic Mail headline which begins 'Is this the Most Evil/Depraved/Shocking...?' can almost always be answered 'actually, no'." - Andrew Marr

#9 2012-04-16 03:46:51

ceejay4
Pilgrim

I have come onto this site specifically to find why the earlier books are not available on Kindle in the UK.  I started reading this series when the first one was published.  Having waited for ages (as usual) for the final part to come out I now find that years down the line I have forgotten the story.  When I first went on Amazon I marked up the first book as wanting to get it on Kindle - and I have waited ages before trying again. 

I have moved twice since I started reading the series and find that I have lost the first book.  Very annoying.  I rather read on Kindle now because I can adjust the size of print to suit my eyesight.  Now instead of a simple click to obtain the book I have to go to get it from my local library which I could have done 6 months ago -  I need a big big reminder never to buy any of Tad William's books (unless it is a one off) until he has written them ALL.  Surely there must be something he can do to rectify this situation?

#10 2012-04-16 06:46:42

ceejay4
Pilgrim

I tell a lie - get muddled up with these books because the names are so similar.  It is the second book that is missing and on checking I can't find the third.  Drat - keeping them on a kindle is so much easier.

#11 2012-04-16 22:14:28

strangeshe
Hierarch

ceejay4 wrote:

Surely there must be something he can do to rectify this situation?

Unfortunately, there's very little that Tad can do about it. The Shadowmarch series e-books are controlled by the publishers (as are those for the Otherland series and MST).

I have no idea what the hold up is for the UK kindle version of the first 3 Shadowmarch books. All 4 are available in US; all 4 are available (in English, however) via amazon.de.

Otherland was released on e-book in reverse order, with rather a long delay for books 1 and 2. It took fans contacting the publisher to complain to prompt movement. (DAW responded admirably; they weren't sure what the screw-up was, but acknowledged it and released the rest of the series asap.)

I have no idea what's up with Orbit & amazon.uk kindle version for Shadowmarch. Or perhaps Hachette (which is listed as publisher on Shadowheart kindle). I really have no idea who all the players are here.

Tad and Deb continue to make inquiries, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if actual readers contacted the publisher directly to request they speed things up and get the series released for kindle uk.

#12 2012-04-17 04:32:21

ceejay4
Pilgrim

Thanks for your reply - I have yet again gone onto Amazon and pressed the button to request the books are made available.  I have bought the final book but seeing that I started reading this series 5-6 years ago I need to reread it to get back into it again.  Seeing that Game of Thrones is so popular at the moment I thought that folks looking for a good read in the fantasy genre would be looking around for something different to read while waiting for the next book in the series.  The publishers surely should realise that - I am not sure who I should be contacting?

#13 2012-04-17 22:17:34

strangeshe
Hierarch

ceejay4 wrote:

I am not sure who I should be contacting?

I'm not exactly sure, either, but you could try Hachette Digital which are listed as the publisher for the kindle UK version of Shadowheart, or Orbit, which originally published the series in hardcopy.

Hachette is the digital imprint from Little, Brown. Their contact page is here: http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/About/Contact/UKSales

Orbit is another imprint from Little, Brown, so that UKSales contact page should get you to someone who would handle the Shadowmarch e-books.

Good luck!

#14 2012-04-18 02:33:59

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Since Tad has changed British publishers and is no longer working with Orbit, maybe getting Tad`s books on the kindle is no longer a priority for Orbit? However, this is pure guesswork on my part.

You might try something else though. You can change the country settings of your kindle and tranfer your kindle to a US account. Then buy all the US ebooks you need and switch the account back to the UK. I switched my account from US to Germany. It is no problem at all and only takes a minute or so.

However, if you are using a credit card to pay for you ebooks you will have to pay an extra charge because you are using the card out of country. But at least you`ll be able to buy the ebooks.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#15 2012-04-23 11:47:54

ceejay4
Pilgrim

That is something I never thought possible - will check it out.  I am pleased to say that BK 2 of the set has turned up at my son's house so I am all set rereading at the moment.  Now just to get BK 3 - if it doesn't turn up I will certainly try what you suggest.  Many thanks for your help and apologies to not responding sooner - I thought I had notification of replies set up so hadn't come back on here until now.

Last edited by ceejay4 (2012-04-23 11:49:09)

#16 2012-04-23 12:10:02

Olaf
Mantis
Website

You`re welcome...hope it works for you!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

Board footer