Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Dragonbone Chair spine art

#1 2010-08-18 23:59:06

Sabirwolf
Pilgrim

Dragonbone Chair spine art

I've been having trouble finding the artist, or even a picture of it, but who's the artist who did the sword and scroll art on the spine of Dragonbone Chair?
I can't seem to find any reference to it, and hope someone happens to know.

#2 2010-08-19 08:51:25

strangeshe
Hierarch

Re: Dragonbone Chair spine art

There was some discussion about the swords awhile ago, and I scanned the covers & put them up on Flickr, here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/strangeshe/

The Dragonbone Chair spine is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/strangeshe/3249186786/

Michael Whelan (http://www.michaelwhelan.com/) is the artist for the original edition MST books, and though I am not certain, I would think he also contributed the illustrations for the swords on the book cover spines.

Usually, however, book jacket designs are handled by the publisher's art department -- selection of typeface, layout, etc. So the final art for the book spines -- including the scrolls and other decoration -- was probably handled by someone other than Michael. (Michael is primarily an artist and illustrator, independent of all the various publishers who have commissioned him for covers over the decades.)

However, I will say I could be wrong about the final, full jacket design being handled by a team.  ;)

(I'm away from home, otherwise I'd check the actual book for credits. Will try to do later & come back to update here.)

(Incidentally, the illos for the sword hilts that are on my flickr page -- the ones that are different from the jacket art -- were done by someone else, I don't know who.  The names given to those illustrations are from whomever is the original artist; I did not name them.)

#3 2010-08-19 09:00:39

strangeshe
Hierarch

Also, you can see Michael Whelan's final art for MST on his site, here:
Tad Williams cover art by Michael Whelan

and the art for TDC here:
IN DAI CHIKIZA

Since the swords are not part of these illustrations, I am not 100% certain that Michael contributed them -- but I suspect so.  When he designed the art for the OTHERLAND series, he handled all of the smaller illustrations (the Egyptian and Greek elements, etc.) that were used within the book jackets and on the original DAW website for that series.  Therefore, I am making the assumption he illustrated the swords for MST.

Maybe someone else knows more & can enlighten us. :)

#4 2010-08-21 01:06:18

Sabirwolf
Pilgrim

Yeah, I'm familiar with Whelan and love his art, but it's confounded me that I could never find any pics of the sword on the spine, nor the artist who did it.

#5 2010-08-21 10:34:04

strangeshe
Hierarch

Sorry I'm not more help :)

Could track Michael down & ask, maybe.  Not sure if he's got a message board but he's on facebook -- or someone posts for him there occasionally...

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Dragonbone Chair spine art

Board footer