Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-26 14:41:32

27Frogs
Pilgrim

Mythology references in MS&T

I am very interested in how contemporary fantasy authors use mythology in their work, whether for inspiration or just a "shout out" to classics.
In MS&T, the most obvious reference is the Aedonite religion - Usires is Jesus, literally flipped upside down. Also he refers to the leader of the church as having a "pointy hat", which sounds like the Pope.
Geleo's house seems to be a reference to Baba Yaga, a Russian witch. Baba Yaga is known for her skills in herbalism, which Geleo is as well. Also I think Valada is pretty close to the Russian word for woman.
What other mythology references have you spotted in MS&T?

Last edited by 27Frogs (2010-07-01 19:03:49)

#2 2010-06-28 02:47:43

Enriko
Pilgrim

Re: Mythology references in MS&T

SPOILER

Well, I try to think of something not mentioned yet..

The idea for the blade Memory originates partly from the spear said to have been used to pierce Jesus when he was on the cross. It's been held in a museum now or something.

Shurakai comes from Japanese words Shura (blood bath) and Kai (demon).

Lots of things I've figured during the years but I'm at work now so.. if somebody want to add me to Messenger: jonah@suomi24.fi

Last edited by Enriko (2010-06-28 02:48:41)

#3 2010-06-28 16:29:22

Kalu
Pilgrim
Website

Obviously, the old Rimmersgard gods are very similar to the Norse gods: Udun One Eye ~ Odin, Dror with the mallet ~ Thor, and Loken ~ Loki. We don't hear much about their religion, though...

//K

Your nocturnal perseverance has earned you a secret gaming tip: go to bed!

#4 2010-06-28 17:11:45

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

Amerasu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaterasu

Sithi - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidhe (This one is also used in another fantasy series) ;)

#5 2010-06-29 00:57:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Utukku is a Sumerian demon. The names Akhenabi and Ekimeniso seem to be Egyptian influences.

The name "dwarrow" was going to be used by Tolkien for the dwarves in his stories.

Much of the Qanuc folklore seems reminiscent of Native American or Arctic cultures, as the Sithi's resemble Japanese religion, the Hernystiri's the Celtic religions, Nabbanai the Italian's, etc.

The superstitions found in Erkynland resemble those of old England, particularly those about the old forest.

The days of the week and months of the calendar, like those of the Julian calendar, are taken from Nabbanai/Roman gods: Satrinsday/Saturday, Tiyagaris, Anitul (Anitulles), etc.

The 17 saints mentioned in the text (Sutrin, Granis, Skendi, etc) have parallels with many of the Christian saints.

We could discuss this for weeks and not cover all of the mythology references in MS&T.

I like the smell of new books. -- Gen

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Tad's writing more Osten Ard books! (Depiction courtesy Bandit/Associated Press)

#6 2010-06-29 13:49:43

27Frogs
Pilgrim

I didn't know that about the Qanuc and the Native American mythology - that's really interesting. Does anyone know if Binabiks sayings are original?
I loved the may-pole scene in the very beginning when Simon is escaping.

Last edited by 27Frogs (2010-06-29 13:51:22)

#7 2010-07-01 12:43:02

Dimma
Pilgrim

I have a feeling these books have more connections with real languages and cultures (rather than mythology). But there is indeed alot of connections around Usires and Christianity, and then the gods of Rimmersgard with gods of Vikings I think.

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Much of the Qanuc folklore seems reminiscent of Native American or Arctic cultures, as the Sithi's resemble Japanese religion, the Hernystiri's the Celtic religions, Nabbanai the Italian's, etc.

The Qanuc, I always see them as Eskimos because they are relatively short and live on icy Greenland, Alaska, Siberia etc. Then again I haven't thought much of their mythology.

For some strange reason i use to think of the Hernystirian names as sounding like Greek (but it seems I'm wrong there!)

The Angerstones (if that's the English term) near Hayholt reminds about Stone henge... But how does that fit with Erkynland, those stones seem quite Celtic right?

Also: I'm kinda interested in what mythology the people around Wran relate to, it sounds very iconic with those phrases "He Who Walks on Sand" and similar - there must be some reference there somewhere :)

Last edited by Dimma (2010-07-01 13:39:21)

#8 2013-03-02 15:39:07

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

The Greater Worm (that circled the world and bit its own tail, from whence came all the dragons) is a variation of Jörmungandr

I did a reverse-Kenan. -Ad1tu

Board footer