Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-20 03:51:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: New Dr. Who

Ooh, you are in for a treat at the end of the last season, Auros. "Day of the Doctor", the 50th anniversary special, really puts the word 'special' back in special.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2014-09-20 10:54:03

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, it's a shame I didn't start catching up a year earlier.  I grew up with the series -- I've seen every episode from Pertwee forwards, plus a couple Hartnells and Troughtons -- and I was kind of traumatized by the '90s attempt at a reboot on Fox.  (It was SO. FREAKING. BAD.)  So when they brought out the new series in '05, I never started watching it.  So I didn't get to see the 50th anniversary special in theaters / 3D / etc...  Oh well...

Last edited by Auros (2014-09-20 10:54:57)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#28 2014-09-20 12:48:15

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

In the area where I lived as a child, Doctor Who episodes were broadcast every week for decades, so I have seen all episodes from Hartnell through McCoy, with the exception of the Missing Episodes. I agree that the 1996 TV movie was terrible, but since I haven't seen it in years, I pretend it was less bad than it actually was. I can gloss over the stupidity.

My satellite company moved BBC America to a higher-paying package, and I refused to pay that much, so I missed one season or so of Who, but I'll catch up after I watch this season via Amazon video streaming. So far, I've very much liked three of the four episodes (first one was so dumb).

The 50th anniversary special was so amazing, and it was so great to see it in the theater, in 3D. There were several parts where everyone in the audience was yelling and clapping. And one scene was... just... awesome in 3D. It's a shame you didn't get to see it when it came out.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#29 2014-10-06 14:30:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Only seven episodes into the new season, and I'm really impressed by the new Doctor. Aside from the first episode (which was terrible), this season has been very good. At least they got away from the random silliness that had crept into the last few seasons.

#30 2014-10-19 22:22:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

What do you guys think of the new Doctor?

#31 2014-10-20 06:40:59

Maladroit
Pilgrim

Feels like a darker, broodier Doctor.

#32 2014-10-20 08:41:24

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I hate to say it, but I'm not a fan. I don't particularly like Clara which colors my perception of the show. And the Doctor is bland. There's nothing to make him stand out.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#33 2014-10-24 14:07:37

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Seitherin wrote:

I hate to say it, but I'm not a fan. I don't particularly like Clara which colors my perception of the show. And the Doctor is bland. There's nothing to make him stand out.

A lot of my co-workers hate, hate, HATE Clara. So you aren't the only one who doesn't like Clara.

Personally, I don't find this Doctor bland, but I can see why, after Doctors like Tennant. For me, Tennant and Smith sometimes were over-the-top in a way I didn't like. Especially with the silliness.

#34 2014-10-24 14:08:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

Feels like a darker, broodier Doctor.

Yeah, I feel that way, too. I like it.

#35 2014-10-24 18:10:37

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Personally, I don't find this Doctor bland, but I can see why, after Doctors like Tennant. For me, Tennant and Smith sometimes were over-the-top in a way I didn't like. Especially with the silliness.

Look at his costume and compare it to any of the Doctors' since Baker. Bland. Blank. And his forays into hyper-ness are grating, as if they are out of character, as if he's pretending. The show just feels off to me.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

#36 2014-10-25 11:09:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Seitherin wrote:

Look at his costume and compare it to any of the Doctors' since Baker. Bland. Blank.

Well, I wouldn't call it "blank". The coat's got a red lining. I'll grant you that there's no obvious gimmick like a bow tie, parsley, or a scarf, but gimmicks can go over the top, like Colin Baker's clown suit. I prefer subtle to eye blinding.

And his forays into hyper-ness are grating, as if they are out of character, as if he's pretending. The show just feels off to me.

I understand, because for me, both Tennant and Smith had hyper moments/randomness that felt unnatural to me. (I really liked Tennant anyway).

#37 2014-10-25 17:14:31

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Well, I wouldn't call it "blank". The coat's got a red lining.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. A plain black suit w/vest and white shirt is dull, never mind the color of the jacket lining which you only see when he's doing an imitation of some predatory animal giving warning. I do wonder if that is the effect the powers that be are trying to achieve. I don't know. I'm just not feelin' the luv.

#38 2014-10-26 14:59:45

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Seitherin wrote:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Sure, sure. :)

A plain black suit w/vest and white shirt is dull, never mind the color of the jacket lining which you only see when he's doing an imitation of some predatory animal giving warning. I do wonder if that is the effect the powers that be are trying to achieve.

Bwah! That's a very funny description! And thus far, from what I've seen, pretty accurate.

#39 2014-11-01 19:06:48

Maladroit
Pilgrim

I do not like how this newest episode has started.

#40 2014-11-02 21:53:01

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I'm so far behind! I'm at least two or three episodes behind everyone else.

#41 2014-12-07 23:25:03

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I am entirely caught up now.

Even though I'd kinda like to get a finale in which we DON'T lean on old standby monsters, I did like what the villain's ultimate plot turned out to be.  It made sense with the way they've been developing that character, especially with their arc the last time we saw them.  I'm a little uncertain whether the ending was really truly final for them.

I wasn't so pleased with the overall execution of the two-part finale.  The pacing felt a bit off, and a minor side character I really liked, who'd been introduced in the 50th Anniversary episode, got killed in what DID seem to be a pretty final manner.  (Also, although I suppose we have next season to sort it out, it seems like there's a contradiction between what we saw in Listen, and events in the finale.)

I kinda felt similarly about Listen, actually -- really interesting ideas, good character development, weird pacing and kind of soggy execution.  I did love several eps over the season.  Time Heist, The Caretaker, Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, and even somewhat In the Forest of the Night.

Oh, and I'll add: I know a lot of people didn't like that in season 7, the Mystery of Clara tended to overshadow her having any kind of personality.  But I have quite liked her overall...  I hope they resolve her story in some satisfactory fashion in the Christmas special; my understanding is she won't be back in Season 9.

I'm still not thrilled with Capaldi, but his take on the character has at least gotten interesting.  He's even bleaker than Eccleston at his dark moments.

Last edited by Auros (2014-12-07 23:27:51)

#42 2014-12-13 01:46:44

Susan Queen of the Univ
Pilgrim

hi everyone.  :)
I love the modern Doctor Who seasons.  I've never seen the classics.  When Eccleston regenerated i was completely taken by surprise!! Tennant is my fav Doctor. Capaldi is taking a long time to love.  I'm used to the silly, lovable 10th and 11th, and Capaldi's Doctor is very dark.  But every once in a while you see hints of the older Doctors and I think, "Oh, THERE he is."  So I don't dislike Capaldi.  I'm waiting to love him.
BTW:  what do you guys think about Moffet's statement that the next Doctor may actually be a woman??

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/575678/2 … Iv8jmTF9FA

"I maked these."  -Gall Bladder

#43 2014-12-13 02:00:31

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

When I first heard some people speculating that maybe 12 would be not-a-white-guy, I definitely thought, "Yeah, it's about time."  I guess a Scotsman is a tiny bit of progress?

I've heard that Helen Mirren has actually said she's interested in the role; that would be pretty awesome.  My top choice would be Tilda Swinton, who does "alien" better than any other actor alive.  I'd also love to see Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor get tapped at some point.  Other suggestions I've liked: Emma Watson (who would be in the same youthful and energetic vein as Matt Smith), or Ruth Wilson, who's Idris Elba's sidekick on the show Luther, and I think might be more comparable to Tennant.

Tennant's my second favorite Doctor ever.  Nobody will ever displace Tom Baker as the definitive version.

It's been announced that Clara definitely is in the upcoming Christmas special, and actually that article says that the buzz that Clara will not be in Series 9 is only speculation, not confirmed.

For anyone who's obsessed with the show, I recommend the coverage that Slate has run the last couple years.  Both the Series 7½ text TV Club and the podcast on Season 8 were pretty great.  (The podcast is, I think, paywalled.  If you don't feel like you can afford a Slate Plus membership, I might be able to get you the audio files.)

Last edited by Auros (2014-12-13 02:01:43)

#44 2014-12-14 09:55:46

Susan Queen of the Univ
Pilgrim

I think it would be cool to have a female Doctor.  Capaldi is teaching me to look deeper into the character to see the constants that define the Doctor's personality over the regeneration.  I now have a greater appreciation for complexity that has developed over the centuries he's been alive.  It's given me a whole new perspective on the Doctor. I'd like to see him as a woman. I think I'd like to see Emma Watson give it a try.

BTW:  I am happy to report that Daughter Number 3 has introduced her boyfriend to Doctor Who, and he is now hooked. This makes me very happy.
I should mention here that she has excellent taste in boyfriends.

"I maked these."  -Gall Bladder

#45 2014-12-14 22:50:43

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

*marks spot for after I'm caught up with this season*

I see your posts, Auros and Susan, but I don't want to read them, lest they contain S8 spoilers.

#46 2014-12-14 23:44:08

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I'm pretty sure there were no spoilers in any of those last three posts -- we're on to speculating on who Doctor XIII will be! -- and even my previous one before that, where I was reacting to the end of S8, was intentionally written to be so vague as to be effectively non-spoilery, I think...  By all means, catch up before sharing your own reactions, but I was trying to make sure I didn't mess up any major plot points for anyone.  Even though the thing I was reacting to was already several weeks old... How can you not be up to date?  I was starting from the very beginning of the reboot, just 8 months ago, and now I'm ahead of you? :-)

Last edited by Auros (2014-12-14 23:46:21)

#47 2015-03-07 18:12:08

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I missed the last couple of seasons because of my stupid cable provider. However, I have been watching "Season 8" (really Season 34) through the magic of Amazon.

The first episode of the new season was stupid as heck, and I didn't even finish watching it. However, the other two episodes of the season have been very good. I like the new Doctor, and his companion is good, too. Good chemistry, and so far two good scripts.

I am 20 minutes into that first ep you mentioned, and wondering whether to keep watching it. What an awful way to start a season.

(Spoiler. Ish)

Poor dinosaur. I know it's not real (obvs) but it is still upsetting. I can't imagine what it's like for the kids who watch this. Nightmares for this adult.

#48 2015-10-04 16:37:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

This is amazing. This woman built her own TARDIS, and it's even foldable!

#49 2015-11-26 14:48:37

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Watched the most recent episode, Face the Raven, and now everything is ruined forever.

#50 2015-11-26 16:55:29

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Auros wrote:

Watched the most recent episode, Face the Raven, and now everything is ruined forever.

Really? I  have been debating whether to keep watching, this sounds like a check in the no column.

Board footer