Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-23 11:53:57

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

New Dr. Who

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#2 2010-05-02 20:46:06

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: New Dr. Who

Seitherin wrote:

BBC America Trailer

I've enjoyed both new episodes.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#3 2010-05-10 09:28:40

Calesta
Pilgrim

I enjoyed this week's episode muchly, although the angels scare the bejeezus out of me.

#4 2010-05-10 22:10:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Calesta wrote:

I enjoyed this week's episode muchly, although the angels scare the bejeezus out of me.

Yeah, out of all the monsters in the new series, the angels are perhaps my favorite. The statues themselves are creepy, and both of the angel scripts so far have been well-written. The scene with Amy and the weeping angel on the TV monitor in the sealed pod was memorably creepy.

Last edited by Firsfron of Ronchester (2010-05-10 22:11:19)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2010-05-11 07:46:07

Calesta
Pilgrim

It was soooo creepy!  I put the Angels right up there with the Gentlemen (Buffy Season 4- Hush) for the creepiest TV monsters.

#6 2010-05-11 08:36:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Calesta wrote:

It was soooo creepy!  I put the Angels right up there with the Gentlemen (Buffy Season 4- Hush) for the creepiest TV monsters.

Yeah, the Gentlemen were way creepy! Floatin' around smiling, never making a sound...

#7 2010-05-14 12:03:35

Shadow Adams
Pilgrim

A friend of mine got me hooked on New Who a couple of years ago, and the episode *Blink*, which introduced the Weeping Angels, turned me into a fan. It was ironic, and fascinating, to me that 1. the "bad guys" have the form of angels, and 2. something that appears to be stone can move faster than the eye can see.

I haven't been able to see any of the Matt Smith episodes yet. I watched almost all of David Tennant's, and I'm now working through Eccleston's eps. Since almost everything I hear about the new eps is so positive, now I can't wait until the DVDs come out...

Allons-y!

Last edited by Shadow Adams (2010-05-17 15:39:04)

Lead me not into temptation, especially bookstores.

#8 2010-05-29 16:24:57

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Matt Smith has gradually won me over. Tennant is My Doctor, in the way of such things, but the more I've watched of Smith's portrayal, the more I've enjoyed it. The interplay between him and his Companion and /her/ companion has been memorable. :)

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#9 2013-04-08 15:30:57

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

My satellite provider changed my cable line-up last year and I didn't notice I'd lost BBC America... apparently, I've missed over a season of Who.

Boo Who.

#10 2013-11-29 12:58:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I did get to see Day of the Doctor in the theater on Monday, which was really a blast. The 3D really suited it well (especially that amazing 'oil painting'!).

I was shocked that a theater here played it... even more surprised that one of the two showings was completely sold out! But this theater is the only theater in Arizona outside of Phoenix metro and Tucson metro that played it, so I guess people were coming in from all over.

Did anyone else get to see Day of the Doctor in theaters?

#11 2013-12-06 12:29:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

...anyone?

#12 2013-12-07 09:49:17

ylvs
Mantis

*has not watched a single episode of Dr. Who*

*is ashamed of herself*

#13 2013-12-07 10:22:25

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Well, it's only been on for 50 years, so you haven't had much of an opportunity. ;)

#14 2013-12-07 10:25:34

ylvs
Mantis

Well as far as I know it has never been on German TV or at least never came across my radar.
I actually heard of it like three years ago.

#15 2013-12-07 10:43:12

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

Well as far as I know it has never been on German TV or at least never came across my radar.
I actually heard of it like three years ago.

Yeah, it was always huge in the UK and some Commonwealth countries, but it was obscure/never seen in most other places. I started watching it in the early 1980s, and it was definitely obscure here: seen only late at night on some educational channels, depending on the area. Then, gradually, it wasn't seen at all. My local station stopped airing even the reruns around 1996. The 2005 resurrection made it huge here, in a way that it never was before. Stores actually sell merchandise, etc. And now the movie was a huge hit here, selling out in my area. Couldn't have happened to a better show.

#16 2013-12-08 02:54:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

ylvs wrote:

*has not watched a single episode of Dr. Who*

*is ashamed of herself*

Neither have I.
And half the people I know watch it... makes me feel a weird outsider. Wait, I am a weird outsider, so maybe that's fine? :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#17 2013-12-08 09:38:28

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Don't feel like a weird outsider, Peter! Just pick up an episode from Amazon. I recommend starting from the first episode of the 28th season (called 'season one'). You can get the whole "first series" at Amazon.de for 19.92 Euros. Blu-ray also available. :)

#18 2013-12-08 15:42:21

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Don't feel like a weird outsider, Peter! Just pick up an episode from Amazon. I recommend starting from the first episode of the 28th season (called 'season one'). You can get the whole "first series" at Amazon.de for 19.92 Euros. Blu-ray also available. :)

I know about half a dozen Dr. Who fans, each of whom will probably tell me a different season to start with :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#19 2013-12-09 08:55:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Well, that's where it all begins (for the third time). Logically, that's where you should start. Unless you started watching in 1963 or 1996.

#20 2014-09-08 00:32:10

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I missed the last couple of seasons because of my stupid cable provider. However, I have been watching "Season 8" (really Season 34) through the magic of Amazon.

The first episode of the new season was stupid as heck, and I didn't even finish watching it. However, the other two episodes of the season have been very good. I like the new Doctor, and his companion is good, too. Good chemistry, and so far two good scripts.

#21 2014-09-08 13:51:12

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Love Doctor Who! I watch most of them on Netflix, but couldn't wait for the Christmas ep or the anniversary ep, so bought them on Blu-ray.

#22 2014-09-08 14:00:54

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Marian wrote:

Love Doctor Who!

Yay!

I watch most of them on Netflix, but couldn't wait for the Christmas ep or the anniversary ep, so bought them on Blu-ray.

Are they packaged with "Season 7" or do you have to buy them separately?

(I'll buy them either way. The anniversary episode was so, so amazing).

#23 2014-09-08 14:15:41

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I bought them separately, but if past holds true, they will come packaged with season 8.

#24 2014-09-08 15:24:53

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Then I shall wait...

#25 2014-09-19 21:33:31

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I'm up to the start of the Matt Smith seasons, should catch up to present season by the end of October, I think. :-)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

Board footer