Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Shadowmarch Castle in Minecraft

#1 2009-12-15 18:56:15

LightWarriorK
Pilgrim

Shadowmarch Castle in Minecraft

It's still heavily "in the works," but enough is done that I'm comfortable showing a nice preview pic:

Clicky for coolness.

Better views, many more pics, and details on the scope of all this as I get closer to completing it.

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions, please!

EDIT:  Aww, I was hoping it was interesting enough to get at least one reply out of 36 views.

Ah well, I guess "pixel art" isn't very exciting, but the truth is that picture is just a render from something quite different.

Perhaps if I put it another way...

Atop the Basilisk Gate

Overlooking Skimmertown

The Inner Keep from atop the Old Walls

EDIT #2:  4/17/2010

I guess teasers don't help.  Ah well, since I've gone for broke on the Minecraft forums, I'll go ahead and do the same here:

Experience Shadowmarch Castle in Minecraft Here!

Last edited by LightWarriorK (2010-04-17 18:03:40)

#2 2011-01-14 06:02:57

SkurnTheNiffyRaven
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Shadowmarch Castle in Minecraft

wow i think its really amazing what youve done! i myself do not play minecraft, but know the game from a friend who plays it ... the only 2 things of which i thought different, is the height of midlans mount on which the castle is built on, in my imagination its way higher, and i also thought the causeway to mainland was longer, so the castle should be more apart from mainland ;-)

Dew rises, rain falls.
Between them is mist.
Between them lies all that is.

#3 2011-01-14 06:08:34

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

I guess I missed this the first time around as I didn't know about Minecraft yet back then, but wow! This is pretty amazing. Just how much time did you spend on this? And did you ever finish Funderling town?

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#4 2011-01-15 13:16:51

LightWarriorK
Pilgrim

Thanks for the replies, guys!

is the height of midlans mount on which the castle is built on, in my imagination its way higher, and i also thought the causeway to mainland was longer, so the castle should be more apart from mainland ;-)

The answer to both differences is actually the map size restrictions fo the game.  Classic mode, which this was built in, can only handle 67,108,864 blocks, so the map must be some LxWxH on Squares that don't go over that amount.  This map is 512x512x256.  I needed 512 for the L and W because 256 would have been too small (making the causeway even smaller or non-existant) and that only allowed 256 for the height, so Midlan's Mount couldn't be any taller than I made it.

Of course, the newer modes have already increased the L and W limites to 8x the surface of the Earth, so if Notch ever increases the height limit of the current version I'd be able to do better.

Just how much time did you spend on this? And did you ever finish Funderling town?

I spent a lot of time on this, and I was glad to get the reaction on the forums that I did.  It's consistantly brought up as one of the best castles made in Minecraft to date.  I'd say on and off about 6 months of work.

I have not finished Funderling town yet, since I'm waiting for Notch to update the Creative Classic mode with the new features of the game.  I was also waiting at least until Shadowheart came out, since I realized after reading Shadowrise that the picture of Funderling Town and the Mysteries was not yet complete and I wanted to know what I was going to have to do first.

Thanks again for the comments!

#5 2011-01-15 21:51:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I like how each tower's roof is a different color. You don't often see that.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#6 2011-01-29 12:56:55

LightWarriorK
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I like how each tower's roof is a different color. You don't often see that.

Thanks!  That's actually book-accurate, although I can't find the page again right now.  Somewhere in the first book, either when Chert was talking to the Rooftoppers or when Vansen was on the walls or something, the roof colors of the Season Towers were described like I've made them.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Shadowmarch Castle in Minecraft

Board footer