Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-05 12:44:31

Magpie
Mantis
Website

The Travelling DoOF Cover

I figured we have enough pictures of this to start a thread to list them all.

Vienna, February 2009
Vienna 1 St. Stephen’s (sisterdew, xavie, Magpie, Aan`allein)
Vienna 2 in the bookshop (sisterdew, xavie, Aan`allein)

SAGE/Castlefest, August 2009
SAGE at Castlefest 1 (Tina, Libra-in-a-rondabout-way, Magpie, Sahi, xavie)
SAGE at Castlefest 2 (Aan`allein, Libra-in-a-rondabout-way, Magpie, Sahi, xavie)

World Fantasy Convention San Jose, October/November 2009
World Fantasy Convention 1 (Libra-in-a-rondabout-way, Sir Tessa, cyan, strangeshe)
World Fantasy Convention 2 (Gigi, Marian, Barbara)

WorldCon Melbourne, August 2010
Catelin, mabinogi, Sahi, Sir Tessa, Rajan

And now the cover is off to a third continent - we expect pictures! [edit - picture has been added]

Last edited by Magpie (2009-11-05 12:56:03)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#2 2009-11-05 12:54:39

Em
Mantis

Re: The Travelling DoOF Cover

Well done, Magpie.

Thank you.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#3 2009-11-05 14:43:25

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Great pics!

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#4 2009-11-06 00:46:10

Hiragana
Pilgrim

Awesome!

#5 2009-11-06 22:25:29

cyan
Mantis

Magpie, you rock!  This is exactly what the traveling DoOF with traveling doofs need!  ;-)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#6 2009-11-07 01:52:24

sisterdew
Pilgrim

Haha, the horse that tried to get into the picture by way of bending his head:D
and does anyone remember which book we used to wrap the DoOF cover around to make it look more like a book?:D

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#7 2013-11-10 11:28:27

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Have we mentioned yet that the DoOF cover has resurfaced? I'm still not sure how it ended up with Rajan, but it is back! And we even took pictures, although I don't know who has them.

Oh, and Aan and Sahi? Any chance you can put your pictures back online?

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#8 2013-11-10 11:57:10

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I've added a picture for Vienna and I've added a picture for WorldCon 2010 (which is when the cover went to Rajan).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#9 2013-11-10 12:06:54

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Thanks!

- Tad

#10 2013-11-10 12:41:02

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Magpie wrote:

Oh, and Aan and Sahi? Any chance you can put your pictures back online?

I've been sitting at 80% done with the rebuild of my photography site ever since August. Current project ends next month - hopefully afterward I can find some motivation to get around to that!

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#11 2013-11-10 12:44:52

Magpie
Mantis
Website

So we just have to remember to bug you again in a couple of weeks? (I have nothing to do in December but sit around and bug people on Smarch, so excellent timing.)

- Tad

#12 2013-11-11 07:07:50

ylvs
Mantis

Will put the ones from Brighton online as soon as I have created a flickr account as soon as Brighton cold gets better ...

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#13 2013-11-12 01:34:32

ylvs
Mantis

And here they are:

wfc2013 Brighton No1, Sahi, Magpie, Libra, Cyan and

wfc2013 Brighton No2, Cyan, Ylvs, Magpie, Sahi

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer

#14 2013-11-12 09:37:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Pictures, yay!

Also, I noticed - that colour-coordinated thing we had going on - it matches the background/header here on Smarch! Maybe that's why we all subconsciously picked clothes in that colour (except for Libra, who hadn't been here for a while, so her subconscious forgot about it.)

- Tad

#15 2013-11-12 09:56:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

The color thing is hilarious, now that you point it out, Magpie!

I'll have to remember it for next WFC!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#16 2013-11-12 11:20:46

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And the funny thing is, I think we were wearing the same colour at Stuttgart, too.

I feel like we should conduct a scientific study of Smarchmoot pictures.

- Tad

#17 2013-11-12 19:01:38

cyan
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

Also, I noticed - that colour-coordinated thing we had going on - it matches the background/header here on Smarch! Maybe that's why we all subconsciously picked clothes in that colour (except for Libra, who hadn't been here for a while, so her subconscious forgot about it.)

I had carefully packed so as to not clash with my jade green coat, but I like your reason better. ;-)

Then again.... maybe you're all subconsciously thinking of me!  *giggles*  (And Libra is immune by virtue of having the same first name as me.)

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#18 2013-11-12 22:22:17

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

And the funny thing is, I think we were wearing the same colour at Stuttgart, too.

I feel like we should conduct a scientific study of Smarchmoot pictures.

Indeed. Indeed, my esteemed colleague. In fact, I shall now propose a seven-year clinical study of Smarchmoot pictures. We'll analyze every photo we can find using the latest color recognition technologies. Then we'll use pictures of pre-Smarch TWMB moots, circa 1998, as a double-blind test. If the results are conclusive, we can then publish our data in a well-respected scholarly scientific journal that happens to study unexplained moot color-coordination phenomena!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#19 2013-11-12 23:37:32

ylvs
Mantis

Another two days in crappy old job and you're already your witty funny self again, Firsfron.

I'm sooo glad reading stuff like that again from you!

And I'm sure new job will turn out best - karma credit plan, remember?

Scrollbearer

#20 2013-11-12 23:47:31

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Well, I don't know about 'witty'... ;)

#21 2013-11-12 23:49:43

ylvs
Mantis

Did I say witty?

Sorry, meant silly. I always mix up these words with i and y.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Scrollbearer

#22 2014-11-19 00:00:28

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I was thinking today... this is possibly the world's most well-travelled book cover...

So let's post some pictures from the last few weeks (all except the group picture at WFC, because I still have to hide Firs' face in that):

Lincoln Memorial
The little cover, all alone in that big room...

Back for a little visit with Tad and Deb (and a whole lot of other people)

The DoOF cover goes hiking

But of course it also has to visit another iconic place
with RedNathalie and me.

- Tad

#23 2014-11-19 11:41:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Cyan and I were talking about this last night - the history of the DoOF cover, for the ones who don't know the story yet, or have forgotten it.

- Tad

#24 2016-10-20 04:30:18

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Since we're talking about Worldcon - who has the cover now? Because obviously it also has to come to Helsinki.

- Tad

#25 2016-10-20 05:00:15

laDuchesse
Pilgrim

RedNat?

I think Smarch might have a higher-than-average percentage of introverts.  It's probably what makes us so awesome. Magpie

Board footer