Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-23 21:05:56

strangeshe
Hierarch

Interviews

New interview with Tad and Deb on Talking with Tim

O’Shea: Is there anything about Dragons of Ordinary Farm you’d like to discuss that I neglected to ask you about?

Williams: One of the fun things is you can read it as a straightforward adventure, but some of the ideas are going to be quite big. Like, what is the long-term meaning of the fault line… Because it isn’t going to stay static. There’s an idea about evolution at work, and an idea about parallel universes. There will be time-travel paradoxes too.

Beale: I just think it’s a gorgeous great jewel chest stuffed with ideas. Ideas are like jewels I think: they thrill me and sometimes they’re beautiful.

#2 2009-07-29 11:03:34

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Re: Interviews

Excerpts from the interviews with Tad & Deborah are now online at locusmag.com

Tad Williams: Things Go Away, Things Come Back

“The other reason my books tend to be long is that I have my own ideas about how you make people immerse themselves in an environment, and one of the ways is that you have to give the environment a certain amount of credibility in itself, and that means you have to spend a certain amount of time introducing it and acquainting people with it as you go along.

Deborah Beale: The Arc of Life

“When I got into publishing, I had a brief period (thankfully) when I wanted to work with literary fiction. I read for Sonny Mehta when was the head of Pan, and when he was acquiring for the Picador list, and I quickly learned that not very good literary fiction is just really bad fiction, and that by contrast, I was really interested in stuff like young adult fiction and popular fiction. I was the lowliest of a number of editors working on So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish, and that was a trip. It was actually the first Douglas Adams I'd read, and I literally fell out of my seat laughing, and then all these anxious sales people, plus Sonny, came to cross-examine me about how funny was it really, and was it truly going to work.”

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#3 2009-08-02 14:13:40

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#4 2009-08-05 14:42:33

strangeshe
Hierarch

Thanks for posting both of these, Olaf.

(Meant to tell you earlier that I used the same passages you quoted from the Locus interviews when posting about it on the News page.)

Board footer