Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 15:20:53

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

Martine's Journal

In the Otherland books Martine is constantly pondering if the journal entries she creates while trapped in Otherland will actually remain to be found or if they'll just be lost forever. After reading a bit of the series and coming across this again, and of course reading about the game and how your character will come across and interact with familiar and important characters, why not also be able to find and come across some of Martine's entries. They could be either be ones from the books, ones created just for the game to give the story even more background, or both - this of course would obviously be completely up to Tad, but wouldn't that be pretty awesome to come across in your playtime?

I remember a while back someone (can't remember who) was posting journal entries by Martine which was interesting, creative too.

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#2 2009-06-29 13:14:44

PSYM
Pilgrim

Re: Martine's Journal

That would be great!

I am really looking forward to seeing how the main Otherland characters I've come to love will be integrated into this new experience.

#3 2009-07-21 02:57:10

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

Well its been a while since anyone's replied, so I don't know what to think of this idea anymore. The one reply feels contradicting to the fact that this thread is the second newest one in the Otherland: the MMOG section of these message boards. So please let me know, who is and who isn't interested.

#4 2009-08-03 13:55:27

Valandur
Pilgrim

Hehe, sorry about the massive delay in replying to your post.

Actually that's a excellent idea, Martine's journals are quite unique as noone else really kept any sort of record of their experiences and they could easily be worked into the game/backstory.

1 way that they could be worked in, this just came to me as I began typing, is to say have snippits of her journals play audibly when a player steps into a specific area.  Basically have it triggered once a player enters a area and perhaps they would get a hard copy as well. (Or maybe they would have to write it down? )  Depending on how Soyer'ish the Dev's are feeling. <WG>

Great idea!

I am still quite intrigued by the idea and concept of the game, I'm beta testing Mortal Online at the moment so I've got something to do.....  But can't wait for Otherland Beta!! 

Regards,

Valandur

For neither man nor angel can discern
Hypocrisy-the only evil that walks invisible....
-Milton,Paradise Lost, iii:682-684

#5 2009-08-04 20:17:27

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

I thought of an idea of how to execute it as well. I remember Tad and the developers talking about how your character is made up of code, and learning to manipulate it is a big part of the game. Finding Martine's journal entries, scattered throughout Otherland cold be a way to expand that concept. I think it would be believable and safe to say Martine, being a hacker, encoded her entries so people like the Brotherhood wouldn't find them and read them. Imagine if Martine had written an entry, than broken into encode bits of code, then scattered or hid them across the particular sever in Otherland she had written in.

I think it would be pretty cool to be able to follow her footsteps that way, having to find "bits" or "shards" of code in one server to be put together to understand the entire entry. It would bring a great aspect of exploration into the gameplay and story, as well as be an interesting series of quests. I'll give you two examples, one which your character has dark motives, while your other character has good motives. Imagine while exploring Otherland you come across a group that is good and they want to know the story of Martine, or be able to find her, follow in her footsteps. Maybe they contact you for that purpose. They would hire you to find any information on her, and through this you come across the first shard of code with what appears to be her signature. After bringing it to their attention you both realize its part of a larger sum, and it has format of an audio/visual file. This leads to them asking to look in that area again, or perhaps the entire server to see if there is any more that can be recovered. After the first entry is put together you witness a her journal entry. This could come in the form of a visual recounting of that particular time, with her narrating her memories, and it would you give you clues on where she was heading or where she came from, so you can then start finding the rest of her journal entries to put her whole story together like a jigsaw puzzle.

But what if you were encountered by people with evil purposes, like the Brotherhood for example? And your particular play-style is wicked? Perhaps you could find her story like above, but for the purposes of finding the group to catch them or sell information to the Brotherhood or whatever group wants them dead.

Board footer